PDA

View Full Version : brushes

notfastwes
24-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I have an lrp motor. its the first decent, rebuildable motor i have owned. in fact being a noob to the game i know very little. when will i know its time to change the brushes? only i am having a bit of trouble. The last couple of times i used the car when pulling the trigger not much is happening till i give the car a nudge then it gets going. its as if the car is stutering a bit. my initial thought was the batteries. but even with a new vapextech battery and new ones in the transmitter this is still hapening. Had the motor about two weeks and been using it for about 40mins most days. its been getting quite hot but then i do not know what the average running temp is in rc. Its a gt4 turbo 21x2.

Thanks
:blush:
Wes.

dibble34
24-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I would say it is worth taking a look inside and at least giving it a clean. The comm may also need a skim. This may help you to get an idea of what is inside http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/RC-Electric-Motor-Closeup.html

jim76
24-02-2011, 10:51 PM
40 mins per day is quite a lot of running.

main things are to ensure the "tubes" where the brushes sit are clean, otherwise the brush can be stuck in there and not slide down properly to touch the comm. Also make sure the braid on the brush is not caught up or pulling tight as again it will prevent the brush meeting the comm properly.
Also try and keep the comm clean, either use motor spray, a comm stick or even a cotton bud dipped in a little lighter fluid. Every 6-10 runs, try to give the comm a skim if you know someone with a lathe, this will keep it in top condition.

to be honest, if you are doing this much running each day it will be well worth you picking up a cheap second hand brushless system as they need very little maintenance compared to the old brushed style