PDA

View Full Version : New Car Required !!

Martinst
22-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Having advertised my Yokomo on this site and reading up on other cars etc, I think the bug from years past has returned.

So I'm after getting the modern day equivalent of the Yokomo 91. What is the class leading 4wd at the moment ? When I was leaving the sport the CAT 2000 and new comer Predator where starting to mix it with the Yokomo 93's !!

I've had may cars, RC10's, Traxxas, Schumacher Cougars and Cats, Kyosho II etc, and the only ones I really like were the Team Associated and the Dogfighter.

Having looked at some of the latest models on here, they really are a work of art and the carbon / alloy ones look almost too good to get dirty !!

Whats a good 4wd competitive offroad electric car to have ?

ashleyb4
22-11-2007, 03:10 PM
There are loads less of which is best and more of which you preffer.

Losi xx4 (my personal faviot)
AE b44
J concept bj4 we
Aero A1
Hot bodies D4

There the cars i think are going to be the best next season.

A

RLGfx
22-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I would say to go for a car that is well supported, so I'd look at the Associated B44 and the D4 if you're going for a new kit.

Out of the two, my choice would be the D4, as (from what I've seen) I think it's better quality. The BJ4 is great also, and you should be able to pick up a good second hand one with the B44 coming out, as a lot of drivers will be switching to this.

To be honest, all cars have their pros and cons, but if you look at the newest designs about nowadays you'll be shocked how similar they all look... shaft drive, mid-motor, saddle cells at the back, etc...

jim76
22-11-2007, 04:46 PM
there are lots of threads along these lines on here.

As said previously there really isn/t much in it between all the current crop of cars. It's mainly down to personal preference, which one looks nicer etc, also what is popular at your local club for help with set up and spares. Also what your local shop carries spares for.

If you are on a budget then either the B44 or ZX5 would be a good bet. The associated is going to be the most popular car next year, it's cheap and spares are common. The zx5 is also a good solid car with very cheap spares.

The yoke BX isn't great on UK tracks. The BJ4 is good but no different to the B44 and costs more. The XX is a good car but long in the tooth and spares are becomingly increasingly hard to get at times. The Pred is quirky and doesn't suit some people, yet others find it great.

A couple of others are in the pipeline such as the Aero and serpent which should both be very good, but possibly pricey. Also Schumacher are tipped to have a new car next year.

If i had to choose starting up again i would go with the B44. 1-2-3 at the worlds and it's going to be the most popular car, the cheapest kit, and the 2wd is also the current best car so you can share common spares with the 2wd.

ben
22-11-2007, 09:11 PM
You forgot the atomic carbon s4 out ash:):)

lil ben

mattym0310
22-11-2007, 09:43 PM
these threads are really starting to annoy me. :mad: i dont mean to be harsh [and i aint just targeting you mate] but why don't people stop being so lazy and look through the website that is already out infront of them? it seems like a new thread like this comes up every 2 days or so and the same thing is said in each one.
the site and other threads are all there, easily available, most with great advise in, so use them! it's not exactly hard work, is it?

im sure im not the only one thinking this

rant over :rolleyes:

jim76
22-11-2007, 09:58 PM
in fairness matty, how would you search for a thread like this? It could be several pages down the list which most of us wouldn't go all the way through anyway. And i'm not sure what words you could "search" for in order to bring up these specific threads?

I know what you are saying as they are a pretty common "what's the best current car" type thing. But at the end of the day, if me spending 1 minute typing a response gets someone back into the hobby i see it as time well spent.

ashleyb4
22-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I said cars that will be the top cars next year ben :)

HAHA only kidding yea i did miss it off. lol

A
You forgot the atomic carbon s4 out ash:):)

lil ben

mattym0310
22-11-2007, 10:47 PM
in fairness matty, how would you search for a thread like this? It could be several pages down the list which most of us wouldn't go all the way through anyway. And i'm not sure what words you could "search" for in order to bring up these specific threads?

I know what you are saying as they are a pretty common "what's the best current car" type thing. But at the end of the day, if me spending 1 minute typing a response gets someone back into the hobby i see it as time well spent.

hi jim,
granted, i would happily help someone into the hobby and often do but there is a lot of these threads about.
if you look on the first page of "general car talk" only 5 or 6 threads down from this one there is another "which 1/10th Electric 4WD buggy???"
i admit, i am a frequent user of the site and have noticed these threads, having read them myself, and that is the main reason i know they are about. but if i didnt know they were there i would look through the lists of threads before posting one myself, which i have done in the past about problems i have had with cars/components.

but anyway.. back to the matter in hand.
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5949 that will probably be a good read. i would suggest a bj4we as they are strong, they look good, i think parts are interchangable with the b44 [apart from front shock towers correct me if im wrong], it handles well and there are heplful team drivers on hand to hel[ if need be :).

the best thing to do when looking for a new car is to go down to your local club and see what everybody is running there. as then spare parts are readily available and setup help is also at hand. it is completely down to personal preference on which car you buy as some suit people better than others.

hope this helps you
cheers

Martinst
23-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Apologies guys for not searching the forums. Didn't really have the time at work to sit and scan, just quickly logged on and asked the question.

I too get annoyed with repeat questions on other forums and should of thought before posting. Wrists are slapped and I promise to search in future.

Thanks to all of those who did reply though. Hopefully I'll soon have a new car to splash across the gallery posts. Seems times haven't changed that much in the last 10 years. No car appears to be standing out above the rest, I think I'll go with what I like the look of. Previously the differences usually were minimal compared to the variation in drivers skill.

Thanks again

daz
23-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Martinst if you want to ask a question on here do it. Dont let anyone else put you off from it, this is a free forum when its perfectly "normal" to ask anything you want or need. So as for a decent 4wd i would go for a range rover lol.

Lee Martin
23-11-2007, 11:45 AM
ask away mate...

just choose which advise you take carefully and make sure u trust the advise given....

Lee

Southwell
23-11-2007, 11:51 AM
IMO the B44 is the best for value and being competitive straight out of the box.

Scouser
23-11-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it depends on what you are after from your car. You say you are just getting back into R/C so you might want something that doesn't require too much 'looking after'. If that is the case then the AE B44 or the Hotbodies D4 would be good choices for you. The D4 is a very strong buggy capable of taking a good few knocks, spares are a doddle to find and the drivetrain is sealed so wont need too much stripping down.
If you are looking for something that will keep you busy during the week aswell, then maybe a belt driven buggy is what you are after. Of the belt drives, I personally think the Tamiya or the X5 are the ones to go for. The Tamiya is strong and has a good knowledge base here on oOple whereas the X5 is something a bit different from all the B44s you will be seeing around! X5 also has a good fountain of knowledge on this here site. One other buggy worth a mention is the Kyosho ZX-5. It isnt the strongest out of the box and needs some instant hop ups, the parts are very easy to get though and when fully prepared it is a great little car that is more than capable of holding its own against the newer opposition. All of this is just my opinion but I hope it was of some help.

Martinst
23-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Cheers for all the advice, its nice to know that even though the question is very generic, people are still willing to offer advice.

I'm leaning towards the AE B44 and the cheapest I've seen the kit is £210 posted. Is this fair ? do we have any model dealers as members who do good deals ?

Will my Tekin 411G be upto running modern day motors / batteries etc or is it worth getting something more modern ?

Southwell
23-11-2007, 12:34 PM
£210 is fantasic for a 4wd kit, they were pushing £400 a while ago for some of the more plush models!
I would upgrade your electrics, modern day cells will probably kill that speedo. I ran a brand new peak motor which was a few years old, it lasted 8 laps being destroying itself!

Lee Martin
23-11-2007, 01:02 PM
you really will struggle to go wrong with a B44 kit.

AE is always top notch and has a big team behind it! the car drives fantastic adn requires minimal maintanance, just keep her looking nice!

Lee

Martinst
23-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I've previously owned an RC10 and that was a great piece of kit. Made the mistake of changing the chassis for a white composite 2 deck item ( can't remember manufacturer ) with longer front shocks and tower. Never quite handled as nice after that and I sold it !! should have just kept it simple !

Hopefully the new kits will be just as good, if not better.

I'll look up the name of the chassis maker otherwise it'll bug me all day !!! I'v still got all my radio race car mags from the early 90's, so it'll be in there. I've still got the one of the 95 World off road championships in Essex with me stood in the crowd looking cheesy in my denim jacket !!:o:D

jim76
23-11-2007, 01:46 PM
was that the "hybrid" conversion? i can't remember the manufacturer either. It was all white nylon stuff.

Martinst
23-11-2007, 01:55 PM
thats the one. Was not cheap at the time !! I think my mate still has the RC10 with the Hybrid chassis on it in his loft !

bretts
23-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Martinst

I wish I was in your position! I think you're probably picking the best time to restart racing again. My advise is think before you buy. If you buy cheap stuff (like me) it won't be worth anything when you want to sell it, as no-one will want it. So, get decent stuff cos if you don't like RC Racing, you can get a fair amount of money back. Looking on this forum should give you an idea of what people are buying/selling.

If I could buy my stuff again, I would get the following....

B44
KO Radio Gear
Brushless Motor/Speedo
Decent Charger

This is everything I haven't got:(

Barry Williams
23-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I've previously owned an RC10 and that was a great piece of kit. Made the mistake of changing the chassis for a white composite 2 deck item ( can't remember manufacturer ) with longer front shocks and tower. Never quite handled as nice after that and I sold it !! should have just kept it simple !

Hopefully the new kits will be just as good, if not better.

I'll look up the name of the chassis maker otherwise it'll bug me all day !!! I'v still got all my radio race car mags from the early 90's, so it'll be in there. I've still got the one of the 95 World off road championships in Essex with me stood in the crowd looking cheesy in my denim jacket !!:o:D

Didn't Top Models do a conversion many moons ago? or maybe RPM?

Martinst
23-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Didn't Top Models do a conversion many moons ago? or maybe RPM?

they both sound familiar ! I'll get in the loft and check through the old mags for the advert ! also might see if I can get the car so I can post some pics

Northy
23-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Martin, if it's an RPM conversion I'd like to buy it! :D

G

super__dan
23-11-2007, 03:35 PM
The hybrid was sold by Top Models, it was basically all the RPM bits inc that chassis and wishbones, hubs etc etc and then they added everything else (from various good manufacturers) to make it a complete car. It had HPI wheels which were all the rage at the time.

I borrowed one a while and it was never as good as the sum of it's parts!

G I know someone who has one, shall I ask him for a price?

Martinst
23-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Martin, if it's an RPM conversion I'd like to buy it! :D

G

Just phoned my mate and his wife made him clear the loft out 6 months ago and he sold the complete car on for less than £20 !! ( car boot sale ) gutted !! wish he had told me ! Still might have some photos of it to bring back some memories !!

Northy
23-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Gutted, someone got bargain there! :(

Danneth, if you would please? :D

G

jim76
23-11-2007, 04:16 PM
The hybrid was sold by Top Models, it was basically all the RPM bits inc that chassis and wishbones, hubs etc etc and then they added everything else (from various good manufacturers) to make it a complete car. It had HPI wheels which were all the rage at the time.

that's the puppy! it did look really cool. i've probably got an old mag with Pics in at home.
I stil lhave some HPI wheels on my old alloy tub RC10, they are quality! Along with the BIG rigid plastic flouro pink wing with massive sides!

Martinst
23-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Found the bits I bought. It was RPM and this was the kit I fitted to my RC10

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/trekst/rpmhybrid.jpg

Also whats wrong with HPI wheels and big pink wings ?? :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/trekst/1-4.jpg

jim76
23-11-2007, 11:13 PM
that is MINT!
that really looks the nuts! although i never was much for the dogfighter shell, looks better naked!

and your wing isn't as fluoro as mine!

Southwell
23-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I always wanted a Bosscat. Matt brice had a sexy one, that was when i first started out with the Cat 2000 EC :D

jim76
24-11-2007, 12:29 AM
I always wanted a Bosscat. Matt brice had a sexy one, that was when i first started out with the Cat 2000 EC :D

Bosscat. mmmmmmmmmmm. Probably my favourite car of all time. So much better than the procat. Awesome indoors. And the woven chassis was gorgeous at the time.
Crash-back suspension, pure genious. Traded mine up for an original cat 2000 which i still have. Great car, still handles well today, just doesn't take the modern power too well!