PDA

View Full Version : PC/Network Help from PC Guru

markwilliamson2001
23-11-2007, 02:34 PM
We are trying to disable UNC Path hyperlinks in word... since students can then browse the entire network, even though we have disabled all other access to my network places using Group Policy. Anyway to disable hyperlinks with with UNC paths in?

Thanks
Mark

Southwell
23-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Ours asks for username and password so it sounds like your permissions are wrong.
Have you got propagate on so it applies higher up in active directory?
any chance another GP is blocking inheritance of permissions?

Southwell
23-11-2007, 03:06 PM
What are the security settings on the servers file structure? If you don't want students accessing that file/folder then they shouldn't have a security setting.

markwilliamson2001
26-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes, had realised that... am now overhauling all security settings on all shares on servers...

Only takes one kid! (b******).

Thanks

VintageRacer
26-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Have you been to edugeek.net ?

A great resource for school & college techies.

markwilliamson2001
26-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes... been talking on there..

Quite a few suggestions were made, but eventually it comes down to security on servers/shares.

Still hiding shares that students use, which they have read and execute access to.

M

Southwell
26-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah just $ them all out. I take it another company got your servers up and running?

markwilliamson2001
26-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah, we got them setup ages ago by a company, most of the work we do on them is fine, and I had managed to lock down network neighbourhood/my network places nicely on the desktop and through windows explorer windows, using group policy. Also managed to prevent standalone exe's, batch files, registry keys and all sorts working on user's home directories AND USB drives lately. Basically kids mess around with anything!!

This hole in word really sucks, and kids can still go through Netlogon and run logon scripts and batch files... since they need access to it!! (w*****s).

Still some work to be done, but better than before.

Southwell
26-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Let me know if you need any help mate, i run a school network.