PDA

View Full Version : rounded screws?

PaulRotheram
23-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Howdy,

I've got 2 2mm countersunk screws on the topdeck of the oOple D4 lodged in to the motor mount.. and they dont want to budge.

Ive bought a brand new driver for them to reduce the risk of rounding, alas it didnt work. They are threadlocked in to place and i've no idea how to remove them with minimal damage.

Theres enough head on the screw for a few more tries.. and i'm reluctant to go at it with a cutting disk as itl cut in to the nice carbon fibre top deck.

ideas??

GRIFF55
23-11-2007, 05:12 PM
If you take all the other screws out, then drill the head off the rounded one. When you take the topdeck off, would this leave enough thread to grab with a small mole grips?? Just a thought

sosidge
23-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Try heating the screws with a soldering iron to soften the threadlock. Might work. Never worked for me.

You can even try soldering the allen key into the head of the screw. Never come close to working for me.

Only way I have ever got them out is with the cutting disk on the dremel to make a slot and a flat head screwdriver to take them out.

PaulRotheram
23-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Try heating the screws with a soldering iron to soften the threadlock. Might work. Never worked for me.

You can even try soldering the allen key into the head of the screw. Never come close to working for me.

Only way I have ever got them out is with the cutting disk on the dremel to make a slot and a flat head screwdriver to take them out.

What a co-incedence! I just remembered this trick my self and gave it a go.. luckily enough it worked! *phew* great minds :)

thanks for advice!

Oscar
24-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Why did you threadlock them in the 1st place?? :D

Southwell
24-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Other way if you have to use a cutting disk is to wear down the disk until its as small as you can get away with and you should be able to cut a slot into the screw without damaging the chassis, maybe :P

PaulRotheram
24-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Why did you threadlock them in the 1st place?? :D

:p

Cause they kept coming loose mid race mr price, They couldnt handle the abuse from the frootster.

RogerM
24-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I had this recently on my BJ4WE as the threadlock I used might have been just a little strong!!! I broke 3 drivers trying to remove the screws :(

Used a gas pencil torch to head the head of the screw and it just poped out easy as pie!

Jay-m
24-11-2007, 07:04 PM
ive been told that sometimes if you use nail varnish it comes out easy and holds wel + there is a variety of colours :p