PDA

View Full Version : TEAM TECH TIPS, DESC410R/DEX410 Gearbox Pro-Build.

stegger
09-03-2011, 06:50 PM
This just out today, should help people out who have had problems with there gears breaking !

http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=2584

captainlip
09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
finally! stripped 2 crowns already :thumbdown: and at £12 each its expensive

for a company that charges prices like these for spares, this support and tips should come without asking.

Big G
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Durango spares are cheap compared to Schumacher!

I'm been running the car for 3 months now and haven't broken a single item or stripped any gears. i guess it's all in the build :)

mdb_75
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I thought that until I priced up front shock towers :gulp: !

Good guide though -that should be in the manual and are there enough shims provided in the kit?

mark christopher
09-03-2011, 07:37 PM
finally! stripped 2 crowns already :thumbdown: and at £12 each its expensive

for a company that charges prices like these for spares, this support and tips should come without asking.

had mine since its launch, not done one in two years racing, guess as above you can build or you carnt!!

captainlip
09-03-2011, 07:40 PM
i guess it's all in the build :)

eye I agree only have issue with one diff other is fine.

Stu
09-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure who has done that build guide, but they need to stop biting them finger nails, urrrrrrrrrg.

mikeyscott
09-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Durango spares are cheap compared to Schumacher!

I'm been running the car for 3 months now and haven't broken a single item or stripped any gears. i guess it's all in the build :)

Same as me, still going to do the guide on my diff and see how it feels.

dpackster1980
13-03-2011, 07:05 PM
They missed out telling people to add tape where the bearings sit in the gearbox halves. Good guide though especially for setting the gap between the pinion bearings.

This stuff is simply common sense though.

Culetto
14-03-2011, 10:17 PM
They missed out telling people to add tape where the bearings sit in the gearbox halves. Good guide though especially for setting the gap between the pinion bearings.

This stuff is simply common sense though.

Tape? Not sure ive heard of this one?

AndyG
14-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Cracking guide ... Exactly what I needed, as I need to rebuild my 410 to get familiar (bought 'nearly new' built & 2nd hand).

Jimmy - if you're reading, I presume this is the guide you mentioned to me on Sunday @ Chadderton?

:thumbsup:

jimmy
14-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Tape - he's talking about ptfe tape to sandwich the bearings. Clamp it like the guide isn't as dirty looking and i can see why they wouldn't want to tell people to do that.

Aye andy thats the one. Hope you enjoy the new car mate

dpackster1980
15-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Tape - he's talking about ptfe tape to sandwich the bearings. Clamp it like the guide isn't as dirty looking and i can see why they wouldn't want to tell people to do that.

Aye andy thats the one. Hope you enjoy the new car mate

Not PTFE just good old electricians tape, I just put a slither in both half casings where both bearings sit.

I found that even when you pinch the pinnion gear and input shaft together so that there was no slop as per the guide in my eyes the vertical play was excessive once rebuilt.

When you use electricians tape it doesn't pinch the bearings when you reassemble the gearbox, the tape gets squashed when the bearings press on to it. No slop and it's alot quieter no bull*hit . :thumbsup:

If people don't believe it's not needed see me at the last round of Worksop and I'll prove it. Mine has no vertical movement on the centre CVD's. :p

jimmy
15-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Neither does mine :confused: Build it like the guide and you don't need tape and it's rock solid with no vertical movement.

If tape works for you though of course then it's a good solution - I'm just saying you can build it with the guide and it's fine too. :thumbsup:

AndyG
15-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Neither does mine :confused: Build it like the guide and you don't need tape and it's rock solid with no vertical movement.

If tape works for you though of course then it's a good solution - I'm just saying you can build it with the guide and it's fine too. :thumbsup:

ditto ... just done mine for first time, as per guide, and it is spot on.

s22jgs
16-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Did mine according to guide. Had no article movement. After 30 minutes running on Sunday though they are both moving a lot. Rebuild time me thinks

jkclifford
16-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Drill the diff bolt holes out to 3mm. Nut and bolt the cases together clamps the bearings much tighter than relying on the plastic threads.

HyperFX
16-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Drill the diff bolt holes out to 3mm. Nut and bolt the cases together clamps the bearings much tighter than relying on the plastic threads.

Almost exactly what I did. But, I see no need to drill out the holes. Just added longer button head screws, and alu nuts.
Add proper diff shimming/assembly, and slipper adjustment, and I haven't broken a single ring gear, since.

Culetto
16-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Not PTFE just good old electricians tape, I just put a slither in both half casings where both bearings sit.

I found that even when you pinch the pinnion gear and input shaft together so that there was no slop as per the guide in my eyes the vertical play was excessive once rebuilt.

When you use electricians tape it doesn't pinch the bearings when you reassemble the gearbox, the tape gets squashed when the bearings press on to it. No slop and it's alot quieter no bull*hit . :thumbsup:

If people don't believe it's not needed see me at the last round of Worksop and I'll prove it. Mine has no vertical movement on the centre CVD's. :p

Thats an excellent idea! Are you doing the diff support bearings and the input bearings?

captainlip
17-03-2011, 12:31 AM
ive just spent £50 on parts, i want this rango running as it should!!!

dpackster1980
17-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Thats an excellent idea! Are you doing the diff support bearings and the input bearings?

Input bearings only. It works and doesn't cost you a penny. :thumbsup:

RC John
17-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I followed the guide closely and it worked fine on my front diff. No movement at all. But it didn't work on my rear diff. I did it 3 times with no improvement. Ended up adding electrical tape between the bearing and the case, which did the trick. The think my front and rear cases may be slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances. This may be why some people can get it right without using tape, while others need it.

captainlip
17-03-2011, 11:06 PM
probs where im having trouble with the rear, can you post a pic up of where you put the tape?

RC John
17-03-2011, 11:29 PM
I actually put the tape on the outer diameter of the bearings, instead of on the case. I found it very difficult to get the tape to stick on the case. I didn't need very much tape to get rid of the slop, and I only did one side, not top and bottom. I can post a pic the next time I have the case opened.

slowjun
19-04-2011, 06:53 AM
mine i did as per manual, and no problem was encountered and gears are great, though i did not experienced the slop, i did go ahead of the tape trick just to be sure.

Well i guess if people will just follow instructions and do some searching then problems will be avoided, well i guess they have lots of money to buy for parts.. hahahaha...