PDA

View Full Version : A arm pivot ball problem

s22jgs
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Just building my 410 and the pivot balls for the arms are giving me greif. They seem really tight in the holders, so tight I can't get them back out or have them free enough for the arm to be free moving.

Anyone had any issues with these? Cos I'm now looking at having to get a new front plate and a 4 plate and some new balls.

Surely shouldn't be like this in the kit?

jimmy
10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
The balls don't move - so having them glued in place still isn't going to affect the suspension arm movement. Not having them fully seated might though.

Some are quite hard to fit . If you just want to get them out you just stick a hinge pin in there and waggle it about until you can get the ball out.

ian h
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I had the very same problem, I put grease on mine to get them in and they did free up a bit after a few runs. Initially the wishbones were tight even without the shims due to the balls not being in far enough I guess. I was told that a batch of the pivot balls were a bit tight when I checked with team Durango. As I said before though a bit of grease and a couple of runs and all good. I now have the shims in place too.

mikeyscott
10-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Mine are tight too, but I've purchased the Ghea inserts to try.

s22jgs
10-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I've managed to loosen them up by wiggling and putting on some bearing oil, but yeh the arms are now really tight. Won't drop under their own weight.

I'll finish the build and order some new balls and plates. Never hurts to have some spares I guess..

Bozzspeed
11-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Yes, I had the same issue. I used a dremel and removed some materiel to seat the pivot balls. First I thought it was the pivot balls, but its was the mounts. I had to fix about 4 of the holes up. :(

Some mounts are fine and other must be machined incorrectly....

What mount is everyone having problems with? Lets see if we are all having problems with the same one...

muratti
11-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I had this problem too. I thought it was the mount but i tried other balls i had from pgrading my 410R and it worked fine. Was definitly a porblem with the balls in my case.

simoncrabb
11-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Squeezing the balls into the mounts so they are fully seated is essential.

A vice maybe? I think I used pipe grips.

Once they are seated correctly it all works fine.

s22jgs
11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
managed to get them all loose enough to fit the holders and get them screwed onto chassis.
Arms are seriously tight though.

Have ordered the GHEA pivot balls, as well as the GHEA pistons.

Will run the car this weekend, then see if i can get the balls out of the holders to put the GHEAS in. if i cant then i guess ill order up soem new holders and keep kit ones as spares.

reg
11-03-2011, 01:04 PM
managed to get them all loose enough to fit the holders and get them screwed onto chassis.
Arms are seriously tight though.

Have ordered the GHEA pivot balls, as well as the GHEA pistons.

Will run the car this weekend, then see if i can get the balls out of the holders to put the GHEAS in. if i cant then i guess ill order up soem new holders and keep kit ones as spares.

its what ever the holder is coated with,i got a ball dremal bit and just removed it:thumbsup:

Mike Parker
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
its what ever the holder is coated with,i got a ball dremal bit and just removed it:thumbsup:

Yep same here and it worked a treat :thumbsup: happy days!

rc10fan
11-03-2011, 11:12 PM
i think its luck of the draw. mine were fine. i use AE black grease on mine. you will find after a few good run they will free up. as mentioned the coating on the alloy might be thicker some how. build it thrash it bash it will soon free up :)