PDA

View Full Version : DEX410 handling

qwkpony
14-03-2011, 11:57 PM
I recently installed the Tresrey front hubs and with the optional spacers they have available you can space the hub further up the kingpin (theres actually 3 settings available with these spacers... all the way down like stock, in the middle or all the way up). I'm trying to understand how this has an effect on handling. I assume it has some effect on caster (but static caster is not changed) or does it only have an effect on front ride height? Anybody care to explain?

Also, would someone care to explain what effect different weight diff fluids have on handling?

Hulk
15-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Hi mate,

spacers at the top of the caster block i.e front hub furthest up = less steering

spacers at the bottom of the caster block i.e steering arm furthest down = more steering

Effects of front diff oils

Thicker:
• Decreased steering response.
• More stability under braking, but less turn in.
• Better on power steering at corner exit.
Thinner:
• Increased steering response.
• Less stable under braking but better turn in.
• Car will understeer on power at corner exit

Effects of rear diff oils

Thicker:
• Car understeers slightly at corner entry, but makes the car
more difficult to control at corner exit (powerslides).
• Increased on-throttle steering.
• Better on high-traction surfaces.
Thinner:
• More stability mid corner and corner exit.
• Understeer on-throttle.
• Better on low-traction surfaces.

Hope this helps

Craig Collinson

RC John
15-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice post! I just got my DEX410 and have been wondering how different diff oils affect handling.

captainlip
15-03-2011, 06:59 PM
aye all these tips help, im getting there with my wrongo, going to change ball cups next and get those rip off alloy caster blocks

considering rip off roll bars, whats your thoughts on those craig? front only? rear only? both? or save my money and put it on a deposit for a house :lol:

Hulk
15-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi mate,

although im not a big fan of roll bars they defo do have their place for some people.

I would say get both to be on the safe side. You might find the car feels more balanced using both depending on what track your racing on. At least if you have the full set you can play around to see what works.

Craig

captainlip
15-03-2011, 08:21 PM
can justify their price tag tbh, people arent raving about them, i race indoors at denton and bury and soon outdoors at bury, i can see the fronts helping with it digging in on high speed corners, and the rear for the outside.

but ive also been told use both, everyone has a different preference, i just want more stability and be able to take more speed in the turns.

qwkpony
16-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi mate,

spacers at the top of the caster block i.e front hub furthest up = less steering

spacers at the bottom of the caster block i.e steering arm furthest down = more steering

Effects of front diff oils

Thicker:

Decreased steering response.

More stability under braking, but less turn in.

Better on power steering at corner exit.
Thinner:

Increased steering response.

Less stable under braking but better turn in.
• Car will understeer on power at corner exit

Effects of rear diff oils

Thicker:
• Car understeers slightly at corner entry, but makes the car
more difficult to control at corner exit (powerslides).

Increased on-throttle steering.

Better on high-traction surfaces.
Thinner:

More stability mid corner and corner exit.

Understeer on-throttle.
• Better on low-traction surfaces.

Hope this helps

Craig Collinson

Excellent response. Thanks for the help.

Big G
16-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I use rear ARB indoors on low grip and find it gives me a lot more turn at low speeds. I found on astro it works better without, but it feels like a compromise between more turn in or more on power steering exiting corners.

I don't get why everyone changes the ball cups though. I've never had mine pop off

jkclifford
16-03-2011, 02:42 PM
running 410 for nearly a year never poped a link in a race, but adjusting them what a nightmare. Tried winding them all the way in and out a couple of times, even greasing the threads, doesn't help standard ones are just pony.

captainlip
16-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't get why everyone changes the ball cups though. I've never had mine pop off

same here dont see all the fuss :lol: