PDA

View Full Version : increasing and decrease steering?

captainlip
20-03-2011, 06:06 PM
whats the best way to adjust this, im sure i read somewhere but cant find the thread it was something to do with where you place the gold washers on the caster above and below gives more and less steering?

am i imagining things? :lol:

fmo
20-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I usually do this by turning the steering wheel further or less...
:)

captainlip
20-03-2011, 06:24 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

i mean more turn in less turn in.

Big G
20-03-2011, 06:55 PM
raising the links on the front will generally give more turn in on the front. same for the back. ie, higher is more grip into corners so high front low back will give more turn in.

bigred5765
20-03-2011, 07:58 PM
not quiet that simple
raising the inner link on the front generates more turn in, raising it on the outside at the front gives it less turn in,
raising it on the rear inside gives the rear end less side bite which lets it slide in corners and rotate more
, riasing it on the rear outside so wheel hub lets it stay more upright in a turn most times and lets it slip more causing less side bite, in general

WHITTLER555
20-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi, to give you less aggressive steering, try taking out the gold washer completely from under the front outer ball link on the hub and move it to the inner most hole on the front hub, then move the inner camber link on the front shock tower to the inside upper position.

I also run a front anti roll bar.

Make sure your steering links are in the rear most position on the ackerman bar.

I also run the car in long wheelbase on the rear wishbones but not the hub for added stability and less rotation.

Lastly I run no weights at all on the car and always use 25 wt oil in the rear dampers to keep it supple.

Try that, it seems to work for me.

mikeyscott
20-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Mm may try this too as my car is way to pointy. I'm on long wheel base on hubs and wishbones at present.

Just brought diff oils closer together for testing this week. I'll add your points to the list

captainlip
20-03-2011, 10:48 PM
only reason im asking is it used to be very responsive and plenty of turn in but since ive lost it somewhat :lol:

Big G
21-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Before I replaced my diff rings with the kyosho ones I opened my rear diff after 6 weeks of racing to find it near empty

simoncrabb
21-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Interesting thread, I keep getting mixed up with camber links... Do all these opinions agree with each other?!

(I ran only the Tresrey rear weight yesterday, and it was nice, the rear end was more progressive than with side / rear weights I was running before.)

Big G
21-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Personally I find the links a good place to adjust my turn in and the toe on the front sorts out the on power grip.

on another personal note. I found raising and lowering the ballstud on the cat did next to nothing. Whereas on the 'Rango it's very noticable

mikeyscott
21-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Personally I find the links a good place to adjust my turn in and the toe on the front sorts out the on power grip.

on another personal note. I found raising and lowering the ballstud on the cat did next to nothing. Whereas on the 'Rango it's very noticable

I'll be trying a bit of toe out next time

simoncrabb
21-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I'll be trying a bit of toe out next time

I highly recommend James Helliwell's setup guide on Burnin Rubber http://burninrubber.co.uk/

More toe out will increase steering?

I thought I ran mine at 0 toe out. But I just looked at the car and there's a smidgin of toe in...

mikeyscott
21-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I highly recommend James Helliwell's setup guide on Burnin Rubber http://burninrubber.co.uk/

More toe out will increase steering?

I thought I ran mine at 0 toe out. But I just looked at the car and there's a smidgin of toe in...

toe out should make the car smoother and easier to drive. It's just something I want to try.

jamiekerr14
21-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Toe:
FRONT

Toe In:
*Makes Car Easier To Drive

Toe Out:
*Decreases Understeer
*Increases Steering At Corner Entry
*Faster Steering Response
*less Stable Under Acceleration

Toe:
REAR

More Toe in:
*Increases Understeer
*More Stable Exiting On-Power At Corner Exit And Braking
*Less Chance Of Loosing Rear Traction
*Decreases Speed

Less Toe In:
*Less Stable At On-Power Corner Exit And Braking
*More Chance of Losing Rear Traction
*Increases Top Speed

mikeyscott
21-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Not what the guide I've got from Mark Pavidis says. Oh joy, think I'll just quit this malarky.

SV and Durango and gear for sale!

jamiekerr14
21-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Thats from the Hudy 1/8th Offroad Setup guide.. not sure there is any other setup book thats better tbh..

simoncrabb
21-03-2011, 09:16 PM
From helliwell's guide:

Front - more toe-in
• Makes car easier to drive
• Stabilizes car on straights and coming out of turns
• Smooths steering response and makes easier to drive

Front - less toe-in, or more toe-out
• Decreases understeer
• Increases steering at corner entry a lot
• Faster steering response
• Makes car wandery on straights
• Less stable under acceleration
• Makes car more difficult to drive

Rear - more toe-in
• Increases understeer
• More stable exiting on-power at corner exit and braking
• Less chance of losing rear traction
• Decreases top speed
• Easier to drive, stabilizes and makes the difference between sticking and breaking loose bigger

Rear less toe-in
• Less stable at on-power corner exit and braking
• More chance of losing rear traction
• Increases top speed
• Not advised at all