PDA

View Full Version : Setup advice needed

RC John
24-03-2011, 05:42 PM
I ran my DEX410R for the first time last night. Handling was pretty good, but I can definitely use more on power rear traction. Off power grip is good, but getting on power was trickly. Unless I was very smooth with the throttle, I would spin out coming out of corners.
I'm currently running 7k/5k diff oils. I was thinking of going thinner like 2k rear, or perhaps 2k all around. Would this help with on power grip?

Big G
24-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Rear arb would help. You might loose a bit of initial turn in though

mark christopher
24-03-2011, 08:09 PM
try 12.5 in the front

captainlip
24-03-2011, 08:27 PM
2nd time tonight i said this :lol:

12.5k in the front and 7k in the rear.... dialed

RC John
24-03-2011, 09:35 PM
2nd time tonight i said this :lol:

12.5k in the front and 7k in the rear.... dialed

I have a feeling this would not work on a low grip clay track, which is what I race on.

captainlip
24-03-2011, 10:31 PM
ah! failed to mention the surface. :thumbsup:

Big G
24-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I've been running 12.5/7 on low grip and been winning, but the car is harder to drive than it was when I first got it. My dad couldn't drive mine at all lol.

If I wasn't lining up a lot of outdoor races I would swap to 7/3. maybe I need loads of diffs lol

I find without a ARB on the rear the car won't hold it's line out of the corners running wide. This made it tricky to get through quick chicanes as it was hard to flow the car carrying speed well.

RC John
24-03-2011, 11:33 PM
I've been running 12.5/7 on low grip and been winning, but the car is harder to drive than it was when I first got it. My dad couldn't drive mine at all lol.

If I wasn't lining up a lot of outdoor races I would swap to 7/3. maybe I need loads of diffs lol

I find without a ARB on the rear the car won't hold it's line out of the corners running wide. This made it tricky to get through quick chicanes as it was hard to flow the car carrying speed well.

So you found thinner oil like 7/3 easiler to drive on a slippery surface than 12.5/7? Right now, my main goal is easy to drive.
I don't have a roll bar since I got the R kit, but never had good luck with running then. They always took away traction.

captainlip
25-03-2011, 12:19 AM
roll bars are a dodgy subject as everybody seems to be saying different things with the durango, i may get the rear set when bury outdoors reopens. we'll see.

gddevey1012
25-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Roll bars do appear to work on higher traction surfaces but on the lower grip areas i would say not, i have been racing on a polished floor for about 9 months now and have settled on 5000/3000 as this seems to be the most consistant. I did try 7/5 on carpet and that also worked well

wacattack
25-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Try 4 degree rear toe in, rear camber link position on the bottom inner hole on shock tower

captainlip
25-03-2011, 01:21 AM
im on outer hole tower outer wishbone.

MrMagoo
25-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Coming from 8th Rallycross we use anti-rollbars as a tuning aid all the time (you pretty much won't find a rallycross buggy that doesn't have them fitted at both ends).

You can use them to do is shift where the grip is and balance the chassis. Adding a thicker ARB at either end of the car will decrease the grip at that end of the car, effectively adding grip at the other. If you need more turn in an general steering? go with a lighter ARB up font, or thicker in the rear. You'll loose rear grip and add I'd grip up front, so the front end will come in faster and the back will swing round more. Car diving into the corner really hard and the back end coming loose, I'd go thicker up front or thinner out back to remove some of the aggression and shift some of the grip from the front to the rear.

captainlip
25-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Coming from 8th Rallycross we use anti-rollbars as a tuning aid all the time (you pretty much won't find a rallycross buggy that doesn't have them fitted at both ends).

You can use them to do is shift where the grip is and balance the chassis. Adding a thicker ARB at either end of the car will decrease the grip at that end of the car, effectively adding grip at the other. If you need more turn in an general steering? go with a lighter ARB up font, or thicker in the rear. You'll loose rear grip and add I'd grip up front, so the front end will come in faster and the back will swing round more. Car diving into the corner really hard and the back end coming loose, I'd go thicker up front or thinner out back to remove some of the aggression and shift some of the grip from the front to the rear.

thanks for this, at last this makes sense and has been explained very well. as I will be running outdoors all season I may invest at some point.

Big G
25-03-2011, 10:58 AM
So you found thinner oil like 7/3 easiler to drive on a slippery surface than 12.5/7? Right now, my main goal is easy to drive.
I don't have a roll bar since I got the R kit, but never had good luck with running then. They always took away traction.

Kind of. When I popped open the diffs to fill with 7/3 they were near empty (dam kit O rings lol). They car felt better yes. After filling with 12/7 for Kiddy outdoors I didn't bother changing it back for indoors so just accepted it.

I will try it again, but could really do with 2 more diffs lol

hottuna
08-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm new to the dex410, but quickly found out it react to minor chances.
The first test i did was on a bumpy grass/dirt track with high grip.
The rear was very loose and kept jumping all the time, almost made the car turn up side down, it was undrivable. Didn't have much time to play with setups at that time.
This weekend i had another test at another track. At first it reacted the same as before. I decided to chace the rear shock oil from Ass 35 to 30, a minor change, but it made wonder! It was a totally new car. It was planted to the track.
It's just a small advice from me, don't get blinded by diff oils, weights, or springs. Sometimes the small solution is the best :)

Lycan
09-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Taking out some anti-squat in the rear will give more on power traction.

wacattack
09-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Taking out some anti-squat in the rear will give more on power traction.

Less anti-squat will give more sidebite but less drive out of the corner