PDA

View Full Version : Best Touring Car Advice Please

Rob H
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Looking to get into touring racing next year and after some advice on which is the best way to go. As a note I ran a tamiya DF-03 off road this year and soon found myself spending money on carbon chassis and hop up parts so unsure what to do

Looking at entry again in the lower end a tamiya TT-01 or a TB-02, is there any real difference in performance between them, which is the best value for money to base a car on.

or, if i will end up spending a load of money on hop ups again is it better to go straight to a 415 or evo 5. I do prefer shaft drive, do belts offer any particular advantage.

or, am I missing something totally, and would be better off with another manufacturer altogether.

Appologise for a lot of questions but trying to get as much information as possible before jumping in

drinternat
04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I would have a look at the new 416 that is due out before jumping for a 415 but im no expert.

danDanEFC
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
I was thinking of getting a second hand TC3/4 second hand to replace my TB01.

I thought about spending money on my TB01 on hop ups but I thought it would be better to get a 'better' chasis rather than getting nice pretty parts.

ps if anyone has a old TC they might like to sell to me please pm me.

gaza121
04-12-2007, 12:56 PM
By the time you have brought all the Tamiya Hop-ups you may as well get a top end kit, I have used the TC4 (spent hundreds on wishbones!!) xray T2 great car and easy to set up with the click rebound adjustment on the shocks and my latest the HB cyclone , which I am sticking with, never broke anything on it and its a good neutral handling car!
Belt is better than shaft but you have to keep them clean!
I have a T2 roller for sale if you fancy it???;) and its mint used n carpet only!

sosidge
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Looking to get into touring racing next year and after some advice on which is the best way to go. As a note I ran a tamiya DF-03 off road this year and soon found myself spending money on carbon chassis and hop up parts so unsure what to do

Looking at entry again in the lower end a tamiya TT-01 or a TB-02, is there any real difference in performance between them, which is the best value for money to base a car on.

or, if i will end up spending a load of money on hop ups again is it better to go straight to a 415 or evo 5. I do prefer shaft drive, do belts offer any particular advantage.

or, am I missing something totally, and would be better off with another manufacturer altogether.

Appologise for a lot of questions but trying to get as much information as possible before jumping in

Most important of all, get down to your local club and see what the classes are and what people are running.

Although a TT-01 drives well and is great for beginners it is still uncompetitive unless it is in a TT-01 only class.

Tamiya do an excellent mid-price car called the TA-05. If you can find the TA-05R version which has all the desirable hop-ups in the box you will be set with a very good club car indeed. No need to spend £300 on a chassis for club racing.

I ran a TA-05R for a few months earlier this year (until I sold it to someone else who proceeded to beat me with it the following week! I still have sellers remorse), won virtually all of my local club races with it and took it into the A-final of the Carlisle Cup with a 19T motor, up against some of the best racers from Scotland and the North of England running modified motors.

So TA-05 gets my firm recommendation as a good value, good handling way into touring cars.

Rob H
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, perhaps i should add that i work overseas in Libya so there are no formal racing clubs just about 15 guys who have all got together to go racing. It is also very dusty (very fine sand) which gets everywhere hence the preference for shaft drive.

gaza121
04-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Pro4 or tamiya Evo is your best bet then!:p
pro 4 is a stronger car if you bump it a lot!

sosidge
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Well if you are just arseing about in the dust you will find the TT-01 ideal. It is very robust and easy to drive.

Rob H
04-12-2007, 05:44 PM
We race on concrete and tarmac but it is usually covered with very fine dust which gets sucked up. You can't see the dust on the road but the cars are covered all over after a while.

Found a nice TB-02 with a load of hop ups on ebay so going that way for this season and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the help

nobby
14-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Most important of all, get down to your local club and see what the classes are and what people are running.

Although a TT-01 drives well and is great for beginners it is still uncompetitive unless it is in a TT-01 only class.

Tamiya do an excellent mid-price car called the TA-05. If you can find the TA-05R version which has all the desirable hop-ups in the box you will be set with a very good club car indeed. No need to spend £300 on a chassis for club racing.

I ran a TA-05R for a few months earlier this year (until I sold it to someone else who proceeded to beat me with it the following week! I still have sellers remorse), won virtually all of my local club races with it and took it into the A-final of the Carlisle Cup with a 19T motor, up against some of the best racers from Scotland and the North of England running modified motors.

So TA-05 gets my firm recommendation as a good value, good handling way into touring cars.
i think you will find that not all a finalists were racing mod.
one car that set t.q. was running a 19 turn:D

Mike Hudson
14-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Hot Bodies Cyclone or Tamiya 415/416 are 2 of the best out there atmo, buying tamiya TT01 or wotever you find yourself spending alot of money on upgrades that dont help too much, its always better getting the top end cars, alot less maintenance and overall you will much happyer with the car as ive found from having a TT01 and spending ALOT on it, owning a HPI Pro4 was very impresed with for it lasted until i didnt have much time for saloon racing anymore so sold it to concentrate on 1/10th off road, but when i started the TT01 was nice car at a good price to start with, for just having fun and like club racing a top end car probly wouldn't be worth the money

josh_smaxx
14-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Im going for the Serpent S400 for christmas but only because i will be racing on a clean track, i would even buy a new car if i were racing where there is alot of fine sane floating about, there bearings wouldnt last 5 mins.

honziss
06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
if you'll start with cheaper car, then you'll spend a fortune in hot-ups and spares, that's always the same...

T2'007 is in sale now, take this, it's prooved enough..