PDA

View Full Version : DESC410R - initial questions

TonyM
28-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Just picked up my DESC410R today. A few questions:-

1. I've ordered the Tekin 550 5.5T motor. Can anyone suggest what make/tooth size of 5mm shaft Mod 1 pinions to buy and from where?

2. I like to use Losi shock oils and I was considering 35W front and 30W rear. Would this be a good starting point, or are things somewhat different with big-bore shocks?

3. I was told that some people are swapping the axle hexe's to the larger size (17mm I think), so that they can fit 1/8th scale wheels and tyres and thereby give themselves much more selection. Has anyone done this and what hex fitings have you used? Is this the only thing you would need to change, or do you have to play around with shims etc?

Thanks in advance . . . .

melanie
29-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Who makes the 17mm hexes:thumbsup:

Robocop
29-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Never heard if anyone fitting a 550 thats fir 1/8th buggies hope you mean 540

TonyM
29-03-2011, 03:00 PM
No mate - if you look at the DESC410R spec it was designed to fit the 550 motors. You are given two spurs, a 48DP for if you want to fit a standard 540 motor and a Mod 1 for if you want to fit a 550. I imagine most will fit the 550's.

The Durango site shows the DESC10R only with a 550 motor http://www.team-durango.com/race-cars/desc410r/

area52
29-03-2011, 03:14 PM
We just came back from our first track test with the DESC410R (http://www.area52.cc/build-blog/687-team-durango-desc410r-.html) and all we can say is WOW. We fitted a 540-size LRP X12 5.5T motor which is a bit on the high-reving site but gives a very nice feel as it has the right amount of torque. Not sure what the 550-size Tekin we have around will do in this rig!

Keep in mind: With a 540-size motor and an LRP SXX TC spec speedo (and 25mm LiPos) the truck is at only 2450g!

TonyM
29-03-2011, 05:24 PM
![/QUOTE]Keep in mind: With a 540-size motor and an LRP SXX TC spec speedo (and 25mm LiPos) the truck is at only 2450g![/QUOTE]

Now I could do some serious damage with two-and-a-half-kilo to play with. :woot:

I can't wait to finish the build, nearly there. I must say, for the price you pay, the engineering is superb. Just about all of the minor niggles I had in building the DEC410R have been dealt with.

danDanEFC
29-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Cant wait to see it Tony!

TonyM
29-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Cant wait to see it Tony!

I'll let you have the first stroke. :thumbsup:

ryanlownie
29-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Same motor as me Tony, are you using a 1/8 ESC with it?

Regarding pinions, the Hot Bodies range seem to be popular with us but many other brands offer similar items.

I haven't looked into gearing e.t.c. yet but will head over to RC Tech for such info, there's quite a thread going on all about it.

The handling is superior with the 17mm 1/8 buggy wheels/tyres on but you're gonna lose that short course look the moment they go on there!! If you do stick with SC wheel's then as far as I'm aware you'll need some Fastrax Kourse King's for astro and AKA Enduro's are good for the indoor tracks, I haven't tried them but take other peoples word to be good on that advice.

TonyM
29-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info Ryan. I'll order a set of the Fastrax tyres. Re the ESC I was intending to use my Tekin RS Pro. Do you see any issues with that?

We have our first SC Trucks points day at Southport on the Sunday following the Regional, fancy trying your Rango out then?

captainlip
29-03-2011, 08:23 PM
i keep getting tempted by this truck! at the moment though struggling to keep up with rango prices as i upgrage to the full 410 spec. :lol:

if SC takes off in denton and bury may invest one day!

you going to be at Roundabout tomorrow? made massive changes and improvements on the rango.

ryanlownie
29-03-2011, 08:52 PM
It can be used Tony but it's just the general impression I get from reading around, the 550's are quite demanding on the ESC apparently. The RS Pro is quite good as far as limit's go so I think you should be fine anyway, I just wanted to be 100% certain with mine that's all!

Unfortunately mine won't be ready for a little while, still need tyres, RX8 and some saddles. Let's get the money pit that is Neo Buggy out of the way first! :)

TonyM
29-03-2011, 11:05 PM
i keep getting tempted by this truck! at the moment though struggling to keep up with rango prices as i upgrage to the full 410 spec. :lol:

if SC takes off in denton and bury may invest one day!

you going to be at Roundabout tomorrow? made massive changes and improvements on the rango.

Oooh could be tempted mate. I'll see if I can give Er-Indoors the slip!!

TonyM
29-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately mine won't be ready for a little while, still need tyres, RX8 and some saddles. Let's get the money pit that is Neo Buggy out of the way first! :)

Stu was showing me his wheels for the Neo when I popped in the other day. Just make sure he doesn't set fire to himself :woot: