PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Cover Clamp Just Won't Fit...

corsair
30-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building the 2010 spec dex410, and I'm having fits with the fit of some of the parts.

However, with some workarounds, I'm still fine until now.
I'm totally stumped as to no matter how hard I tried, I cannot get the slipper cover clamp to fit in perfectly both sides of the holes. Initially I could never get it to go in. Either the pins itself has issues, or the molding quality of the plastic cover is really bad.

Anybody has any advice to how I can solve this problem? Picture is attached to show what I mean.

Big G
30-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I have the same issue. Never had a problem pushing it only that far in though lol.

I really should look into it though. A friend said he smoothed off the curve that touches the bearing as there are 2 raised areas in there and spiked the clip slightly

steve73
30-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I had the same problem
Now i'm using two of the clamps from the battery holder, fits perfect

ian h
Dremel the 2 pin ends into points. Simples.

WHITTLER555
Hi, if you look at the spur gear cover upside down you will see two small mould marks where they butt up against the bearing. Very gently rub these down and the cover will fit fine.

Before you do this though, just make sure there are no burrs on the ends of the clip that goes through the spur gear cover, to do this try fitting the clip without the cover and it should just slide in.

corsair
I have the same issue. Never had a problem pushing it only that far in though lol.

I really should look into it though. A friend said he smoothed off the curve that touches the bearing as there are 2 raised areas in there and spiked the clip slightly

Oh....ok.
So you ran the car with the clamp about 7/8's in as illustrated?

I've seen other mates with their durangos that are before the 2010 spec, and the fit of the parts are just right everywhere.... I've no idea why I am having so many probs with an incarnation of the car that is supposed to be newer....

Looks like I'll be back to running my big K car for quite a while.

deepdale11
30-03-2011, 05:29 PM

I have done this too, went in first time after:thumbsup:

stuhurley
30-03-2011, 05:57 PM
take out the motor mount / slipper mount again and put the two separate halves on a flat table to make sure they are square. I had an issue with one in the past where it was slightly bent out of shape. I couldnt push the pin through properly.

Kurtje
30-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I have the same problem with my 2010 spec...
Need to check it out soon... thank you for this topic and the hints given...
Gonna try them out!

Greetings

Bozzspeed
31-03-2011, 01:00 AM

I have done this too, went in first time after:thumbsup:

I'll go with you two....

Thats how i fix it too.......:thumbsup:

simoncrabb
31-03-2011, 05:26 AM
I too have filed the pins into more of a tapered end.

Also, I've noticed that the alloy bearing 'Us' can spread a little over time, or during over exuberant bearing placement, making it difficult to get the pin holes aligned.

So slightly squash them with your fingers, and the bearings should be a snug push fit, and hopefully then the pin holes line up as they were designed.

corsair
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Took this route and filed the curves considerably and the clip is able to get in without problem. This is a much better solution than tapering the pins..

However, I've a new issue now..and I'm posting this in another thread... this kit if giving me fits...

Big G
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I shaved those ridges down on mine to try and get it through and my previously tight 'pin' is now loose lol.

I had to shave it down further and now the 'pin' goes through all the way locking into the top like it should. I'd been running it upside down since it was rubbing the shell.

At least it all works properly now and it's locked in solid

Culetto
05-04-2011, 12:15 AM
It was the same on the desc410r for me. I just took a bur off the pin itself and mashed it in there. Now that its been taken in and out 100+ times its fine. Nice and snug but still goes in, always been a bigger problem for me getting it out. lol

TKG26
05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Yep, even just taking the slight edge off the end of the pins does the trick... The reason there is an issue to begin with is from manufacturing process. The way those ends are cut leaves a slight edge or out of round tip... I believe they cut in a press.