Chequered Flag Racing
30-03-2011, 10:23 PM
whilst looking for the Aussie GP came across this

The Killer Years :(

check it out in iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8v18/Grand_Prix_The_Killer_Years/

coolcars782
30-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Yeah I saw this a couple nights ago, it was a very good watch even though it was pretty sad, worst bit of F1 was the last clip shown- truly disgusting watching no one help him in the burning car :cry:

telboy
30-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Bloody good that.

Just shows how safe things are nowadays.
I can remember Schumacher driving a Ferrari from from the 70's. He just said something like, "they must have been mad to drive those cars, you never catch me racing one, they're dangerous!"

Thats when Racing drivers were brave men, and not spoilt brats.

Hog
31-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Was compelling viewing the other night. Interesting but very sad all the same - the way the drivers were treated by the governing bodies was atrocious.

Couldn't believe the number of drivers that were killed in that space of time.

Hats off to Sir Jackie Stewart for being the main force behind pushing for better safety standards.

barry
02-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah I saw this a couple nights ago, it was a very good watch even though it was pretty sad, worst bit of F1 was the last clip shown- truly disgusting watching no one help him in the burning car :cry:

Apart from a fellow driver who stopped to try and help. He couldn't though. Can't remember his name but he was awarded a medal for bravery.

Barry

Chequered Flag Racing
02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Apart from a fellow driver who stopped to try and help. He couldn't though. Can't remember his name but he was awarded a medal for bravery.

Barry

In 1973, 2 F1 drivers were awarded a Georges Medal
for bravery for their actions in trying to save the life
of a fellow driver.

One in the video was at the Dutch GP, David Purley made a futile attempt
to save Roger Williamson after his car caught on fire.

At the South African GP, Mike Hailwood pulled Clay
Regazzoni from the wreckage of his car,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Regazzoni