PDA

View Full Version : Wheel pin issues, resolutions?

Jarred King
01-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I have read a few times that people are concerned about the rear wheel pins bending,snapping with the use of modified motors.

I got one of the very first 410's in my country and replaced the pins with Hot Bodies 1.7x11mm pins before i even drove it and never had an issue.

I have got the 2010 kit and the 2mm driveshafts seem to have a small hole by a whisker and the hot bodies pins are a nightmare to get in and out and to the point where they snap trying to get them in and then your stuck with a broken pin in your driveshaft, so this makes the changing of hubs and arms the worst job.

My question is, these pins that come with the 2010 kit seem to me to be revised to a stronger material and there longer, is anyone breaking these or bending them. If so what is a easy solution as I run 5,5 motors through mine.

Thanks,
JK

JohnM
01-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I use some of the CatSX solid pins from Nortech, not had any problems since swapping over to them.

Big G
01-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I snapped a couple, but since replacement not had a problem.

I put it down to me doing endo's off jumps lol

mikeyscott
01-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I snapped a couple, but since replacement not had a problem.

I put it down to me doing endo's off jumps lol

I snapped one last weekend, but I didn't know until after the heat. So just had to pull another one out of my spares.

Big G
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I think mine was down to me nailing the gas to drop the rear overtaking the the front then the rear slamming down on near full throttle and obviously the diffs won't give hehe

I have 1 solid pin Phil Sleigh gave me in 1 side and a B44 pin in the other. I'm using a lot more slipper now

AiR
04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm using Hot Bodies hexes in all four corners. In front I use HB's pins and in rear I have cut anti-rollbar from Tamiya (the blue one from touring) to proper length. HB's pins are very snug fit, maybe even too tight to be replaced in racing conditions.

Dazzler
04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I've popped a .25mm shim in between the wheel distance bushing (712003) and the cone washer (714002) on the rear wheel axle (310117). This has made the pin flush with the face of the cone washer, Clamping the wheel against the cone washer, and not the pin, Using the pin for drive only. Thus stopping the pin getting bent when tightening wheels. I don't believe the bending is due to transmission torque, as I noticed one was bent on a car that hadn't even been run.