PDA

View Full Version : team durango dex410r

braddaz
06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi all ,
after a painful build of this kit dex410r which i didn`t enjoy it is finally finished my dilema now is do i change it for a associated or catsx3 or hold on to it :confused:
probally all kits have problems but i am unimpressed with this kit and dont know what to do by the way i am not slagging off team durango before you jump on that thread as team support have been very good and very quick to reply to my messages

i like the look of it just unimpressed by build and feel/fit off some parts.

ghostdogg
06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Mate,
Make your decision after driving it a couple of times and once you got a set up!
Oli

Big G
06-04-2011, 10:25 AM
you can't buy an SX3 yet so may aswell hold onto it.

I love mine to bits. Finally a car that suits my driving :)

big_whyman
06-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Braddaz

I finished the build on my DEX410R last night. What problems/issues did you have? My kit went together superbly! The only issue I had was that 4 x 0.5ml washers were missing, one email to Team Durango and they arrived in the post next day!! They also gave me some advise on what to use instead.

Scott

coleman758
06-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Braddaz

I finished the build on my DEX410R last night. What problems/issues did you have? My kit went together superbly! The only issue I had was that 4 x 0.5ml washers were missing, one email to Team Durango and they arrived in the post next day!! They also gave me some advise on what to use instead.

Scott

I have nearly finished mine, I had a problem wit bag "I" the 4 driveshafts were wrong. I have been sent the old ones that use a 1.5mm pin. and the stubs that fit a 2mm pin. So nothing fitted together. I spoke to them on Monday night. I was told they would send me a new set of driveshafts.

So hopefully when i get home today, they will be sat behind my door :)
the customer service was 100% and they were very helpful.

I love the look and feel of the car, Be it some parts were quite a tight fit.

wacattack
06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Braddaz, what issues did you have?? I've never heard anyone complain of the build quality of the Durango so find your experience a little surprising :confused:

Mike Parker
06-04-2011, 02:54 PM
+1

Mine went together well, I did have to take a dremel to ease a couple of things up but otherwise it was all good :)

traffman
06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Even though I purchased mine second hand I have loved every minute of ownership.
It's the only car I've owned that I have not thought of changing after months of owning it.
I have had to upgrade some parts to the 2010 spec but I loves it.
Build quality is great!

braddaz
06-04-2011, 07:32 PM
hi ,
the build problems i had were
most parts of the plastic parts were not attached to relevant parts tree and all jumbled up in bottom of bag.

pin not going through slipper assembly cover.

slipper assembly making clicking noise due to extra piece of plastic on part side.

diff a real pain to build up, rear diff took ages to get the feel and setting on how i like it.i used team durango website on how to build

front diff set up correctly but when installed on car, the front nipped the sides of the diff causing it to bind up more.

when building one cv driveshaft really rough feel to it had to strip it and slightly grease it to get rid off roughness

the quality issue for me is the amount of free play in steering and top link ball joints there seems alot are anyone elses like this ???
the fit off some parts diff side gears onto output hex`s really tight and bearings on to diff plastic side very tight i know they need to be a good fit but trying to get them off again to shim them is a real pain

why do durango use pin drive on rear hubs rather than hex`s like front what is the advantage of this i thought hex`s would have more surface area than pin`s to take drive

i really am in two minds as i like the sleek design of this car as well :confused:

i have not driven it yet as if i do i wont be able to exchange it like i could
thanks
braddaz

stegger
06-04-2011, 08:05 PM
If you are experianced in building model cars then you will always have these sort of things. Every kit i have built there have been 1 issue or another and the durango was no different. As long as you build the car making sure parts arn't binding and are free moving you won't have many problems. Any problems that you will have are easily sorted out and people on this thread and other threads will help you sort it. :thumbsup:

"pin not going through slipper assembly cover"
File or dremmel the ends of the pin removing any burrs. ;)

jimmy
06-04-2011, 08:05 PM
The accepted standard is a pin to engage the rear wheels and afaik both the other cars you mention will use pins instead of hexes here.

A lot of what you mentioned I felt sounded like model car racing and what I expect on any buggy tbh!:)

braddaz
06-04-2011, 08:14 PM
didn`t relise they used pin drive as well .

once built do they give much trouble when set up ?
what parts prone to breaking ?

Big G
06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
i have not driven it yet as if i do i wont be able to exchange it like i could

Page 5 of the manual (might be different in the DEX410R manual I have the non-R)
If, for any reason, you decide that you do not want your DEX410, you
must not begin assembly. Your DEX410 cannot be returned to
your Team Durango dealer for a refund or exchange if it has been fully or
partially assembled.

big_whyman
06-04-2011, 08:26 PM
+1 on the comments by Jimmy and Stegger

I have been building model cars (sometimes badly, sometimes incorrectly but mostly ok) for 20 years "sigh" (has it really been that long!!!) and this Durango kit is one of the best I have put together (I only wish I had go for the 2010 spec, ill bet it would have built itself :D. You can tell the manual has been put together by racers and that the car is designed to be easy to maintain trackside. All kits have issues when building them (its the price we pay to keep them to an affordable level) injection molded plastic will always leave burrs when coming off tree or as the molds get older be a slightly loose fit. My suggestion would be Braddaz is to run the car, break it a few times and rebuild it (as we all do :thumbsup:), then decide if you want to sell it. For my mind I think you will be surprised at how easy you find it to work on.

Just my 2p worth

Scott

braddaz
06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Page 5 of the manual (might be different in the DEX410R manual I have the non-R)

no its the same in the dex410r , i would trade it back in against something else i would have to stand a loss of some description on money but i would be willing to do that if that is what i decide

tbh its not when you open the box and look at bits you decide you want to send it back its when your building it you relise it.

yeah apparently thats the fun breaking it and repairing it with nice shiny upgraded parts .lol

discothesnake
06-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I must admit, I didn't find the Dex410r an enjoyable build either but when it comes to the track, it's the best 4wd car I've had. I've never taken to a car so quickly. I have run it only 3 times and after some tinkering with shocks and diff oils etc, I am on the pace which I struggled to be last year. Great car.

stegger
07-04-2011, 07:33 AM
no its the same in the dex410r , i would trade it back in against something else i would have to stand a loss of some description on money but i would be willing to do that if that is what i decide

tbh its not when you open the box and look at bits you decide you want to send it back its when your building it you relise it.

yeah apparently thats the fun breaking it and repairing it with nice shiny upgraded parts .lol

You only actually build it once though don't you ! So once it's built it's built. If you take your time building the car taking care and following the guides on the durango website you won't go wrong. The beauty of the this car is how easy it is to work on :thumbsup: Braddaz can i ask you how experienced you are building model cars ?

braddaz
07-04-2011, 09:26 AM
suppose your right stegger once its built its built

i have got good experience with models and building do the diff`s give trouble once set up also is the b44.1 any better than dex410r??? which is best to drive ??

Mike Parker
07-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I've had experience in running a B44 then onto the 410, found the B44 a very safe car to drive but I've nothing but positive things to say about the 410 :thumbsup:

Get to the track & get her run!

wacattack
07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
suppose your right stegger once its built its built

i have got good experience with models and building do the diff`s give trouble once set up also is the b44.1 any better than dex410r??? which is best to drive ??

B44 probably a bit more forgiving, but the Durango is definitely faster

Big G
07-04-2011, 11:58 AM
once I replaced the O rings in the diffs I never had a problem with them. previously they leaked slowly running empty

diffs are 4 screws either end to remove. no top deck to remove like the B44

dpackster1980
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I had a B44, it was safe but it was no where near as quick over a lap. You could rag the arse off it and think you've done a good time but at the end of the round you find it was just another average run. :confused:

The 410 is way more responsive, easier to maintain, stronger and jumps unbelieveably good. :thumbsup:

Rango over anything else anyday. Their customer service, technical support, helpful team drivers and parts backup are second to non. :D

TonyM
09-04-2011, 01:14 AM
I moved from a B44 to a Rango and, for my poor driving skills, the Rango is an ideal match. It feels super safe and I love the engineering and geared diffs compared to balled diifs.

Like everyone I had a few minor niggles with the build, but all of these were sorted very quickly and easilly. I was so impressed I just bought a DESC410R and there is no doubt about it that the build quality has improved even further - very impressed.