PDA

View Full Version : T/C tyre advice / help needed

Rob H
09-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Just bought a tamiya tb-02 chassis to race. It is fitted with kit tyres at the moment. Whaqt options are available for after market. Looking for some advice on whats good and whats not.

Will be running on tarmac and concrete, however both will have a very fine dust covering so not sure how slicks will perform.

On my off road car I was able to find many options and eventually opted with losi mini pin for road and step pin for dirt. Having difficulty find different options and sources for touring tyres and would appreciate any help or advice.

gaza121
10-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Have a look out for nosram VTEC 24R rubbers they are about 25 quid for four and are pretty darn good!!!:D

G

Martinst
16-12-2007, 12:12 PM
How different are the different brand slicks on the market ? I've tried running my hopped up TT-01 with a Reedy Sonic S motor with a 21 pinion and its hard work keeping it in a straight line. The standard tamiya slicks makes it feel like I'm driving on ice and the road and race tread were even more a waste of time. I'm driving on concrete and tarmac surfaces ?? any ideas ?

Rob H
19-12-2007, 04:21 PM
How different are the different brand slicks on the market ? I've tried running my hopped up TT-01 with a Reedy Sonic S motor with a 21 pinion and its hard work keeping it in a straight line. The standard tamiya slicks makes it feel like I'm driving on ice and the road and race tread were even more a waste of time. I'm driving on concrete and tarmac surfaces ?? any ideas ?

No one with any tips on what rubber to use or are they all race secrets :cool:

scotoap
19-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Try Schumacher yellow minipins, but be sure to glue them as they ballon out and off the rim at speed. I use them on slippy floors and grass so they should be OK.
There are other grades of shore types, if your looking for longer lasting tyres then just go for blues instead.
Hope this helps

Lee
19-12-2007, 06:10 PM
run a sorex 24/28 tyre, they will work well they are among the best tyres on the market.;)

DCM
19-12-2007, 06:23 PM
if you are bashing or running on a dusty track, you don't want to use additive, as it will make the dust stick to the tyre and make them slippery. Try Pitz Wet (http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?menu=rc_cars&range=RACING&productId=0000000779) these will grip very well but will wear, you will alsoo need to buy wheels and glue them up.

gramey
19-12-2007, 06:57 PM
:)You could try the Corally SSB's which are a control tyre used in the STCC series, they're available from http://www.modeltech.co.uk/. They need 2 or 3 laps to really warm up, unless you've tyre warmers, but once up to temp they are an excellent all round tarmac tyre with good wear characteristics.
Other options are the Take Off CS22's, available through most model shops, which you can buy pre mounted or loose and fit to your own choice of wheels.:)

Rob H
20-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok thanks for the advice, will check em out.

Have come across these from HPI during my search which I was thinking about. Low profile radial soft compound and X pattern belted.

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=4521
http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=4495

Anyone tried them and know if they are any good?

gramey
21-12-2007, 12:01 AM
:)I can't speak for those specific tyres but I've only ever bought one set of HPI tyres, their racing slicks, and vowed never to do so again!:)

Rob H
21-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Doesn't sound good for HPI then, what was the problem with the ones you had, no traction?

gramey
21-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Doesn't sound good for HPI then, what was the problem with the ones you had, no traction?
:)You hit the nail right on the head but that's just my experience with HPI tyres, others may love them although I never seen anyone else using them at our club:)

josh_smaxx
25-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I had the X pattern ones on my TB-02, they were crap on carpet on not exactly brilliant on concrete even with a silver can, go for a good set of race tires, i got some LRP 24R's with my serpent and they feel sticky enough, will have to test them first though :D

Rob H
28-12-2007, 04:20 PM
run a sorex 24/28 tyre, they will work well they are among the best tyres on the market.;)

Hi Lee
What insert would you recommend with these