PDA

View Full Version : Diff gear stuck in plastic part of diff case

drobec
14-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Hello boys,
I can't take out 14T diff gear (TD310001) out of plastic part of diff case. Normally it should fall out of it but it's probably stuck or what. Any suggestions how to take it out without damaging diff case or gear? Tried needle nose pliers (too thick), thin tweezers (too weak), paper clips (too thick), tried also to cool it down by lighter gas , suck it out by vacuum cleaner :rolleyes:, pull it out by magnet but nothing works. I'm hopeless, I spend 2 hours yesterday with it. :(

simoncrabb
14-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Have you removed the outdrive off it?

I usually drill a hole in a tall piece of wood, put the outdrive in it, and then hammer through from the inside with a punch and hammer to remove the outdrive.

Then it should come out.

It ruins the E clip and X ring, but they're consumables anyway.

AfroP
14-04-2011, 11:43 AM
is it pinned from the other side perhaps?
does it move at all?

Big G
14-04-2011, 11:54 AM
my front one is stuck on. my rear just falls off.

don't have another E clip or washer right now to replace so my 1 side of the front diff always leaks a bit :(

lastplace
14-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I had the same problem it's the norm .
only way is as already said . I used a 4mm pin punch this is the right size to pass through the Gear, it will bend the E clip and deform the shim, you will have to ballance the Diff case on a Vice, but one good sharp tap and the out drive comes out, its just a bit doggy on the plastic diff case, i have had to do the twice and the diff case's are still fine.

Durango have updated the thickness of the shim that sites behind the gear from 0.5mm to 0.8mm to take some of the slop out of the outdrives so while your working on the diff you may as well get the new ones . I think they have used the same part number.

when rebuilding i used a swiss file to ease the gear slighly you will find it goes onto the outdirve the wrong way very easily then at the last bit it gets tight so when fitting the correct way round its tight all the way down making it very hard to get off again. I think the hex bore in the gear might be slighly tapered making it a tight fit, don't file too much or the pinon will be too loose and could cause more problems.

drobec
14-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Of course, it still sits on outdrive. ;) Thanks for suggestions and advices, looks like the only way to take it out is with hammer (I was thinking about it but wasn't brave enough to do it). Good point about filing the gear slightly, I'll do that to prevent this in the future. Thanks guys.

Gonzo
14-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Filing is dangourous indeed. Just put your gear on and off the outdrive a couple of times without the plastic piece or anything else, untill it comes off easely. Then put everything together.

JosephShanks
18-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Sanding the shaft is another good way to go. Several people have done it with success.:lol:

RC John
27-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I found a good way to remove that diff gear from the plastic diff housing without using a hammer. It takes a bit of patients, but I manage to remove the gear on both my diffs.
What I did was take a long piece of dental floss and with a couple of small screw drivers, push the floss down around the outer edge of the gear. Go around the gear till you're almost around the whole gear. Pull the floss slowly to get it to slide under the gear. Once it's under the gear, you can pull hard on both ends. As long as the gear isn't so stuck that the floss breaks, it'll work. But like I said, it does take some patients to get this to work.
Very thin wire might work better than floss, but all I had around the house was floss.

Big G
27-04-2011, 10:07 PM
good idea. I'll give it a go!

raymondkerr
28-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Just fill the diff case with WD40, leave it to sit for half an hour, then tap the diff case firmly a couple of times on a flat hard surface, and the bevel gear should fall out. even the most tightest gears have been removed this way, with both my 2009 and 2010 spec cars. That way theres is no damage to the case or the gears.

simoncrabb
28-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Just fill the diff case with WD40, leave it to sit for half an hour, then tap the diff case firmly a couple of times on a flat hard surface, and the bevel gear should fall out. even the most tightest gears have been removed this way, with both my 2009 and 2010 spec cars. That way theres is no damage to the case or the gears.

GREAT idea. I'm going to try that next time I need to do one.

OoD1S
01-05-2011, 05:29 AM
I tried this out today on my super impossible diff gears and it worked like a charm. Cheers from down under.

ian h
09-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Super solution, worked a treat for me. Thanks.

simoncrabb
10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I tried it, didn't work for me :-(

I hit it with a hammer, that worked! :-D

danielzak1990
11-05-2011, 03:54 AM
i used an angle grinder on mine:eh?: a new diff case cost me $3 dollars, i spent an hour trying to get it out, and i gave up after, thats when the angle grinder came in handy :D.

Lycan
12-05-2011, 07:27 AM
I just used a caster clip tool on mine. Got the end under the gear and slowly worked around the gear lifting at the same time. Took about 3-4 mins and nothing needs to be replaced.

Big G
24-05-2011, 08:24 AM
I finally go round to trying the WD40 trick. Soaked over night and then a bang on the desk, but nothing. still stuck tight. Tried pulling it off with pillars, but no luck.

So I left it upside down on the rag to drain out the WD40, then came back an hour later and to my surprise when I picked up the diff the little gear had fallen out on it's own! result :D

drobec
28-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Tried WD40 trick also, doesnŽt work for me but I left WD40 in only for about 10 mins, IŽll try to leave it there longer and after that upside-down for some time :)

Anyway, bagman gave me 2 brand new diffs which he wanted to fit on his FS2 (but gave it up), they are impossible to dissasemble (I mean 14T diff gear on both sides - plastic and also metal cover ), I even destroyed a bearing on outdrive as it didnŽt wanted to come off and I needed to shim the diff. Really suprised with such differences in different batches. :eh?: