PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Booking

woOdy
14-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi guys.
Just to let you know I have had a chat with the BRCA Rep and as far as pre-booking, there is no pre-booking this year.
There will be next year but for this year it is only to let the club know your details to make the booking in process quicker.
This means if you want to race then booking in will be on the day and not before the day.
If you are going to go just let them know so they can organise the day for the numbers of drivers.

Evo_Snr
14-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi guys.
Just to let you know I have had a chat with the BRCA Rep and as far as pre-booking, there is no pre-booking this year.
There will be next year but for this year it is only to let the club know your details to make the booking in process quicker.
This means if you want to race then booking in will be on the day and not before the day.
If you are going to go just let them know so they can organise the day for the numbers of drivers.
If we did not pre book for round 1 ,we would have have the same situation as last year . This year ran smooth with a heat list produced in advance. booking in only meant ticking off and paying while race control could update xtals and pt's. How long do you think it would take to type in 120 drivers details?
Do you take the first 120 drivers and turn the rest away.

Evo_Snr
14-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi guys.

Is that not pre brooking :p

Chrislong
14-04-2011, 02:27 PM
So, the way I interpret Woody's post, is it is now email to update database and intention to race but this doesn't guaratee you a booking (ideal for club to save time, but not necessary). But the booking in process is first come/first serve in the queue on the day? Will that mean the last few in the queue will fight to the death, survivors race? :lol:

So would booking in process be slower?? If so, there is less time to get the racing in, yet we're trying to squeeze everyone in, so we'll be going home at 8pm? This year is a organisers nightmare. I don't think there is a way to keep everyoen happy :(

So whats going to be different for next year to make it different to this? Two day regionals?

burgie
14-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm with Eric on this.

surely what the clubs have done thus far is classed as pre-booking? Is all that to be discounted now, so booking in can be a free for all at the next round?

Somebody is confused :confused:

steel
14-04-2011, 02:49 PM
So in theory you could have lets say 150 drivers turn up on the day book in the first 120 then turn the rest away that doesnt sound right to me sounds like bad organisation :thumbdown:

Kecky
14-04-2011, 03:11 PM
We'll all be camping out in our sleeping bags outside race control the night before to make sure we get in :thumbsup:

I think this would also affect numbers as nobody will travel a hundred miles or so just on the off chance they get in.

I'm sure when WoOdy comes on and clarifies his post, we can sigh a breath of relief :lol:

stuart slmcc
14-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I drove 115 miles sunday to southport plus 115 back noing i was going to be racing . will be more for batley. Im happy for it to be pre booking so i no im going to be in . like its been said ill have to camp or hotel it the night before to ensure im in if its first come basis. If club secretarys or your fellow racers cant pass info on by sending an email or ringing you thats a poor do . I passed info on to members that i wasnt sure of if they are on oople or not even some that are. May be people should go thro there club secretarys to per book in ?? . I would like to say thanks to chris cherry for taking up the job for the southlakes on the 22nd of may cracking job fella .

Well thats my 50ps worth .

Col
14-04-2011, 03:36 PM
The N/E has been doing pre-booking for years. Even has it's own dedicated website.

http://www.brca-northeast.net/

steel
14-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Imagine what it will be like when race control opens :cry:

sly
14-04-2011, 05:06 PM
:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Stu
14-04-2011, 05:21 PM
As there is no 'official' central pre-booking system it's down to the clubs how they deal with the numbers of drivers who want to race.

There were no problems at Southport as the meeting was not full, the system they used worked very well.

If more than 12 full heats of drivers turn up and want to race on the day I'm sure it can be dealt with somehow.

Evo_Snr
14-04-2011, 05:40 PM
As there is no 'official' central pre-booking system it's down to the clubs how they deal with the numbers of drivers who want to race.

There were no problems at Southport as the meeting was not full, the system they used worked very well.

If more than 12 full heats of drivers turn up and want to race on the day I'm sure it can be dealt with somehow.

How ! , you could have 11 car heats, then race control has go through the heat list and make sure no 11 has a pt. Early start (well you would have to to book in on the day). Late finish as in 2010 racing in the dark.BTW Southport was full, the 2 that did not turn were on the reserve list but told they had a place. 1 booked in on the day then withdrew after round2.
I had 8 reserves in 4wd and only 1 took a place, the other place was offered but no one wanted it. so we finished up with 117 drivers.

sly
14-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Stu Wood and Gareth Hollis have a system that would work next year.

So why the statement of, book in on the day this year in we breathe, and then, it`s up to the clubs, in a another breathe?

just leave this year as it is, and make/implenment plans that will keep everyone happy next year.
its like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted:confused:

While we are at it, Trophies yes or no?

andy110m
14-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm with Eric and the prebooking side of the arguement. I think with the interest this year its the only way to go and Southport ran great because of it.

Unless I know I'm in the meeting I'm not going to get up at silly o'clock and drive many miles only to be turned away. I think alot will agree and that will have a negative effect on numbers.

All the events with the exception of Bury are effectively prebooked, lets not change whats been shown to work really well.

Just my thoughts.

NISMOBUGGY
14-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi guys.
There will be next year but for this year it is only to "let the club know your details to make the booking in process quicker".

So for the avoidance of any doubt and to keep all campers happy who exactly at the club do we give our details to so the "booking in process" is quicker?

Kecky
14-04-2011, 07:11 PM
While we are at it, Trophies yes or no?

Yes :thumbsup:

Evo_Snr
14-04-2011, 07:34 PM
So for the avoidance of any doubt and to keep all campers happy who exactly at the club do we give our details to so the "booking in process" is quicker?
These are the clubs in the Northwest Region

Southport :- eric.evison@sky.com
Batley :- d.harrison19@sky.com
South Lakes :- cherryc69@talktalk.net (cherryc69@talktalk.net)
Keighley :- KMCCBooking@hotmail.co.uk
Bury :- bmrcc@talktalk.net

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Si Coe
14-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Last year, Southport's 1st round had a slow booking in because so many peoples details needed entering, but after that all the other rounds ran smoothly. That wasn't due to numbers, just the fact that following the winter indoor series at Chadderton, the majority of the drivers were already in Bury's database (also used at Keighley) so booking them in was really just a matter of collecting the money and arranging heats.

Bury has 2 sets of transponders, meaning PT's aren't required for 11 car or more heats. I'm sure if need be these could be available to other clubs.

The issue here is not the Southport meeting. The issue is the mad rush to pre-book for every other round, even one months away as everyone panics that they won't get a place.

Personally I won't be racing in the regionals this year, because I just think this is plain silly and I know I'm not alone in being put off by the stampede to pre-book.

Regionals are supposed to be open to everyone, not just the first 70 people who booked in in March for a race in June and filled both classes.

We need to improve the system so that anyone who wants to race can, not just turn around and go 'tough luck, we're full', which is the case now.

Pre-booking helps on a packed day I agree, and I'm quite in favor of being booked in before I leave the house, but full entry lists weeks in advance are a different matter.

If pre-booking suggest you are going to get 140 entries and the meeting isn't for a least a fortnight, don't close the entries, work out how to make it work! Either get those in two classes to choose one and let some more folks race, or find a way to race 140 drivers in a day. If you know thats the case in advance, you've time to solve it.

carpenterdean
14-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Last year, Southport's 1st round had a slow booking in because so many peoples details needed entering, but after that all the other rounds ran smoothly. That wasn't due to numbers, just the fact that following the winter indoor series at Chadderton, the majority of the drivers were already in Bury's database (also used at Keighley) so booking them in was really just a matter of collecting the money and arranging heats.

Bury has 2 sets of transponders, meaning PT's aren't required for 11 car or more heats. I'm sure if need be these could be available to other clubs.

The issue here is not the Southport meeting. The issue is the mad rush to pre-book for every other round, even one months away as everyone panics that they won't get a place.

Personally I won't be racing in the regionals this year, because I just think this is plain silly and I know I'm not alone in being put off by the stampede to pre-book.

Regionals are supposed to be open to everyone, not just the first 70 people who booked in in March for a race in June and filled both classes.

We need to improve the system so that anyone who wants to race can, not just turn around and go 'tough luck, we're full', which is the case now.

Pre-booking helps on a packed day I agree, and I'm quite in favor of being booked in before I leave the house, but full entry lists weeks in advance are a different matter.

If pre-booking suggest you are going to get 140 entries and the meeting isn't for a least a fortnight, don't close the entries, work out how to make it work! Either get those in two classes to choose one and let some more folks race, or find a way to race 140 drivers in a day. If you know thats the case in advance, you've time to solve it.

I agree with alot of what this guy has to say, especially those doing 2 classes being made to choose one or the other. I had decided to do 2 classes at southport but when i realised that the meeting was getting full and others were on the reserve list who wanted to race i was only to happy to give up my 4wd slot so someone else could race, so maybe all we're talking about here is a little more consideration then if the spaces are still available then they could be offered back to people who want to do both. Your never gunna keep all of the people happy all of the time:woot:

DanW
14-04-2011, 08:49 PM

A lot of talk of 11 car heats. For me 10 cars is enough in a heat, more just becomes carnage. Not sure all the tracks/rostrums are big enough to accomodate this.

But a Regional is a BRCA sanctioned event, and as such runs to BRCA general rules.

From the book of words....

15. RACE PROCEDURES
GENERAL
15.1 All BRCA Sanctioned events will be run to BRCA rules.
15.10 The Qualifying Heats will consist of a maximum of ten cars.
15.11 With the possible exception of the lowest Final, all finals will be scheduled to consist of ten cars.
Any driver electing not to take part in a Final will result in an empty space on the grid. (Drivers from a
lower Final are not promoted upwards).

11 (or more) Car Heats = :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Stu
14-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Good spot Dan, no 11 car heats.

Weetabix
14-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Seems crazy to me. There are only a finite number of daylight hours in the day and therefore only a finite number of races/drivers in a day. When its full its full. Pre-booking in is the only way to ensure people arnt driving miles and not getting to race especially when petrol costs so much.

Dont forget people volunteer their weekends and time off to organise and run these events. Running 120 drivers at Southport involved a lot of people doing a long day as it is and does not leave much time for anything going wrong etc.

So in my mind, a free-for-all at race control on race morning sounds like a crazy idea to me.

Gary

Jonesy
14-04-2011, 10:27 PM
AsS many of you know I live in the North West (Ellesmere Port) but I race in the Mid West Region which includes trips to places such as Coventry and Ledbury. Why? Because primarily it used to be because the North West had little drivers and now it's because the guys who run that Region are spot on (That is not meant to be a dig at anyone)

It's great to hear the North West is doing so well and I'd love to come back 'home' in the future but looking from the outside this is all getting a bit silly!

DianneH
15-04-2011, 08:12 AM
On behalf of the Batley Club, if you check the list of booking in you will see that I removed the reserve list at the beginning of last week and have taken everyone's details as they have been sent to me.

The database will have everyone's details before the day, they will be booked in for whichever class or classes they have entered and it is a simple process to confirm and pay on the day.

We will then sort the heats automatically according to the number of drivers booked in.

It is our intention to try to accommodate everyone who wants to race, in the best way we possibly can. Our track and rostrum is big enough for 11 car heats but looks as though this may not mow be possible due to BRCA rules.

We also intend to start booking in at 7.30 am which will then allow us to start racing earlier and will run the appropriate number of heats to accommodate everyone.

Let us hope that the weather does not let us down - if it is poor we will have no problems with the number of heats - everyone will stay in bed!

Note: Just seen previous message from Stu - if it has to stay at 10 car heats then that will have to be it - shame though because Batley track and rostrum can take this. I have asked him to check with BRCA as to whether this can be changed for individual meetings.

Chrislong
15-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Can heats be reduced to 4 minutes (5 min finals still)? Shorter gap between heats too?

Personally id like to be on the track for 5 minutes & im sure everyone else does too, but id rather everyone got to race and went home happy.

Sundays need extending!! :)

ianjoyner
15-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm okay with booking in on the day on the basis that we don't a have system for pre-pay booking and I doubt the remaining rounds will see 120 entries. Pre-booking by email worked fine for round 1 and we got near enough 120 entries on the day, but last year would indicate that's unlikely to continue.

We've in theory now got a reserve list for South Lakes, the trouble with this is those people on the reserve list are very unlikely to attend on the off chance of getting in, yet at the same time the 120 entries on the main list are also very unlikely to all make it, so we end up with a meeting that isn't full and people sat at home because they were only on the reserve list. So I would prefer to do as Dianne has and just call it pre-registering, rather than pre-booking.

We do need a plan for if 120 entries do turn up on the day. I would propose one class only if 120+ turn up, we would have to decide somehow who, if anyone, gets to run two classes, but that's much better than having to decide who gets to run at all. Everyone turns up knowing they will be able to run at least one class and unless entries on the day are nearly double last year, at South Lakes at least, everyone who wants to will be able to run both classes and this won't be an issue anyway. I don't think splitting the classes on to two days is an option for this year.

Ideal would be pre-pay booking in, but I don't think there's an easy way to set that up now and it is probably something for next year.

DianneH
15-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree to some extent but do think that the numbers this year may be higher than last year as interest has increased. I know that at our club we have a number of drivers who used to race that are now back racing and because they were used to doing regionals are going straight back into them. The meeting on 1 May should give some indication as to how the series may progress.

Checked entries and 37 have booked in for 2 classes so would be difficult to say some could only do 1 class.

If we can get started earlier and fine tune the gaps between the heats then I think we can get more heats in.
Let's see what happens on the day and cope with whatever is thrown at us. I think the majority of clubs have enough experience to manage each situation as it arises. If not, ask for help from some of the more club experienced volunteers.

DianneH
16-04-2011, 05:20 AM
On behalf of the Batley Club, if you check the list of booking in you will see that I removed the reserve list at the beginning of last week and have taken everyone's details as they have been sent to me.

The database will have everyone's details before the day, they will be booked in for whichever class or classes they have entered and it is a simple process to confirm and pay on the day.

We will then sort the heats automatically according to the number of drivers booked in.

It is our intention to try to accommodate everyone who wants to race, in the best way we possibly can. Our track and rostrum is big enough for 11 car heats but looks as though this may not mow be possible due to BRCA rules.

We also intend to start booking in at 7.30 am which will then allow us to start racing earlier and will run the appropriate number of heats to accommodate everyone.

Let us hope that the weather does not let us down - if it is poor we will have no problems with the number of heats - everyone will stay in bed!

Note: Just seen previous message from Stu - if it has to stay at 10 car heats then that will have to be it - shame though because Batley track and rostrum can take this. I have asked him to check with BRCA as to whether this can be changed for individual meetings.

Just for clarification, Steve Lawson, Chairman of Batley Buggy Club, has been in touch with Paul Worsley (BRCA) and we can run as many cars in qualifying as we wish - 11, 12 - or whatever we decide but we must run 10 car finals. I am not suggesting that we run 12 car heats but we can definitely run 11 at Batley - if we need to.

I think all this is now becoming too confusing for drivers - are they booked in, are they on a reserve list? What is happening? There has been all this discussion - and on the day the meeting will probably be as normal!

This is the situation as I see it for the Batley meeting.

All drivers have given their details so that I can make sure the database is updated ready for quick booking in on the day.
We shall start booking in at 7.30 am. There will be open practice whilst booking in is taking place.

We shall make decisions on the day as to the number of heats and the number of drivers per heat to be able to accommodate all drivers who turn up.

Let us hope for good weather and aim for a good day's racing.

Note: If you want to come and practice - we have meetings on the 17th and 24th April - see Batley forum for diary dates and venue details. Make it a family day? Swimming, cafe, toilet facilities available in the sports centre.

Si Coe
16-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Dianne - Thank You!

This folks is how it should be done.

ianjoyner
16-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks Dianne, we'll have a chat at South Lakes on the best way to handle high numbers if we have too, it's looking promising everyone should be able to race on the day :thumbsup:.

cherryc
16-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Dianne look forward to good days racong ..