PDA

View Full Version : Diff O-rings

RC John
27-04-2011, 04:19 PM
My diffs have been leaking like crazy, so I decided to replace the stock seals with Kyosho P5 o-rings. They are a perfect fit, but I noticed they have a lot more drag compared to the originals. I put plenty of grease on the o-rings and outdrives when I put them in so it's not from a lack of grease.
My diffs now feels like I have 20K oil, instead of the 3k I put in. Will the diffs free up over time? If so, how long will it take?

JosephShanks
27-04-2011, 05:23 PM
John, they will start loosening up immediately when running the car.

RC John
27-04-2011, 06:16 PM
That's good to know. Thanks.
I actually thought about putting the stock seals back in.

RC John
02-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I did my first race day with the new kyosho o-rings. No leaks that I can see, but the diffs still have not loosened up at all.
Seriously thinking about putting the stock seals back in, since I really don't like how the car handles with the diffs feeling like this.

captainlip
02-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Hpi rings half the price of the ones you fitted, not leaked yet and no drag!

RC John
02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Hpi rings half the price of the ones you fitted, not leaked yet and no drag!
I looked for HPI o-rings, but couldn't find them. They are also called P5?

JosephShanks
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
I did my first race day with the new kyosho o-rings. No leaks that I can see, but the diffs still have not loosened up at all.
Seriously thinking about putting the stock seals back in, since I really don't like how the car handles with the diffs feeling like this.

John that is weird... What grease did you use? If you used the new thicker washers that may be whats going on. You might want to use the older thinner washers with the p5's. I believe the new ones are black and the old ones are silver. Just a thought.:thumbsup:

RC John
03-05-2011, 01:57 AM
John that is weird... What grease did you use? If you used the new thicker washers that may be whats going on. You might want to use the older thinner washers with the p5's. I believe the new ones are black and the old ones are silver. Just a thought.:thumbsup:
I used associate green slime, and the same washer I got with the kit, so I assume they are the thinner ones. Did you find the P5 feel exactly the same as the stock seals after they broke in?

JosephShanks
03-05-2011, 05:30 AM
I used associate green slime, and the same washer I got with the kit, so I assume they are the thinner ones. Did you find the P5 feel exactly the same as the stock seals after they broke in?
Yes. Like yourself I was concerned at first but after putting a couple runs through it it loosened up. Your problem is baffling me. Are you sure your diff build is correct?:confused:

RC John
03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I can't see what I could have done wrong when replacing the seals. There's only an E clip holding everything together. I wondering if it's possible my kit came with the new thicker washers. What are the thicknesses of the old and new washers?

Dazzler
03-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Old are black and .5mm new are silver and .8mm

To add, 2010 spec kits have the 0.8mm washer as per the manual.

simoncrabb
03-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Are the part numbers the same or different on the new and old washers?

Dazzler
03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Are the part numbers the same or different on the new and old washers?

Interestingly, they are the same as I found out when pulling my spares from my pit box to find they were old stock, albeit purchased recently.. Fortunately not an expensive item.

RC John
03-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Old are black and .5mm new are silver and .8mm

To add, 2010 spec kits have the 0.8mm washer as per the manual.

Mine are silver so I guess I got the new ones with my kit. This could be the reason my diffs feel so tight with P5 o-rings.
If the reason they went to a thicker washer was to keep the diffs from leaking, it didn't work.

Dazzler
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Mine are the latter 2010 spec, and to be honest - no leaks with standard seals. They seem fine. (Just physically checked before making this statement).

Kurtje
04-05-2011, 07:59 AM
I use the Tresrey X rings and no leaks at all...
The standard X rings where a disaster :(

Kusal
04-05-2011, 08:19 AM
The same with me!

RC John
04-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Are you running the new thicker washer with the Tresrey x-rings?

Kurtje
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm running the standard washers that comes with the kit...
In my R it's the black ones, in my normal 410 its the silver ones...

RC John
05-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm running the standard washers that comes with the kit...
In my R it's the black ones, in my normal 410 its the silver ones...
Do you have Tresrey x-rings in both cars? And do they feel the same?
I'm worried that I'll have the same problem with using Tresrey's + thick washer as I did with Kyosho's + thick washer.

simoncrabb
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I've found that SOME of the kit black x-rings leak, but I don't know what thickness washers I'm using with them.

We're getting some HPI o-rings in stock tomorrow is anyone wants to try them.

muratti
06-05-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm worried that I'll have the same problem with using Tresrey's + thick washer as I did with Kyosho's + thick washer.

I use Tresrey and thick washers and it works without any problems.

ian h
10-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I fitted hotbodies P5 black o rings today. There is definitely more resistance now than with kit rings. Will update after the weekend as to whether they free up a bit or if they leak.

RC John
10-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I decided the put the stock seals back in because I couldn't stand the drag of the P5's. During the process, I noticed that the inner hole on the stock seals are so large that they barely touch the outter diameter of the outdrives, where as the P5's make a decent seal. I think all the drag is coming from this, and is not dependent on the thickness of the washer being used.

Kurtje
15-05-2011, 08:25 PM

There is à difference, the diffs with the black washers are much smoother then the diffs with the silver washers. Both I have fitted the xrings from Tresrey.

ian h
15-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I fitted hotbodies P5 black o rings today. There is definitely more resistance now than with kit rings. Will update after the weekend as to whether they free up a bit or if they leak.

Ran with these today, no leaks and freed up nicely. Happy with the change.

ian h
25-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Bump for ghostdogg