PDA

View Full Version : What tyres? Short Course.

Skodes
30-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Decided to buy myself a nice slice of Short Course action the other day in the form of an HPI Blitz ESE kit from my local; PBM Racing. :thumbsup:

The kit is built but I am now obviously lacking wheels and tyres. Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is widely considered a safe tyre choice for astro and dirt tracks? Originally I was going to buy one and bash it, but I suppose I might as well do it properly and race it.

I've read a bit about stock Blitz tyres being useful in certain situations and seen a few people mention the Proline 'Caliber' tyres, but wondered what the good people of oOple thought?

mattJT
30-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Well, I run Kourse Kings all round on my Slash 2wd (only on astro mind you) and they are ace. Wear rate is unbelievable, I bought a 2nd hand set off here bout 6months ago and I'm still using them now, they've barely worn at all :thumbsup: SO fantastic value for money.

I think other tyres worth looking at are J concepts subcultures, HPI Attk's (had a set of these, but not as good as the KK's on astro imo) and Bullseye's :thumbsup:

graveltrap
30-04-2011, 08:15 PM
On Astro use fastrax Kourse Kings, on the rear at least, I usually run kit tyres on the front of my SC10. Kings will work on the front as well, but you'll need to trim some spikes!

Dirt is variable, it depends on what the surface is like you'll be racing on!

For example, Coventry is a pretty dusty/ loamy surface, so Hotbodies Megagrid or J concepts Goosebumps would be the choice for the rear...Front end I've been using kits again or Hotbodies beams, there are also now a couple of ribs available, but I haven't tried them yet...

Frecklychimp
30-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Losi Eclipse tyres work well on both in the dry, haven't tried them in damp or wet conditions.

on dry tracks Astro Fastrax bullseyes are easier to drive than Kourse Kings as they are softer and flex without snappy grip roll issues.

with damp/wet astro then its kourse kings... although found proline calibers work quite well on rear of 2WD if its mildy moist!

Its all down to preference and opinion plus of course driving style and budget.

I have sworn by Kourse Kings as my favourite for a while but they can become too much on some astro tracks without lots of trimming spikes... as Jimmy will agree after the SCT National last weekend... would assume that they are no good for dirt tracks as they are too stiff and will dig holes rather than grip

Skodes
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Cheers for the replies chaps. :thumbsup:

Budget isn't too much of a problem, I don't mind stocking a few varieties and seeing what works, just wanted to narrow the choice down a bit.

Kourse Kings get a fairly good press wherever I look so I'll have to pick up a set of them, Bullseyes look like being a good option too and maybe grab a set of the HPI kit tyres while I'm at it just to throw some variables into the mix. Might as well concentrate on getting it sorted on Astro first as that's all I'll be driving on, for a while at least.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!