PDA

View Full Version : diff not that smooth?

Nigel
30-04-2011, 10:07 PM
well i just got my dex410R a couple days ago and i started assembling it and i noticed the diff dose not seem to be that smooth when i spin it like i can feel every gear spinning against the other one.

and if i loosen off the skrews that hold the ring gear to the diff box anymore it will leak like crazy (its already leaking slightly)

also i don't mean the diff ring gear and the pinion gear i mean the gears that are inside the diff box.

thanks.

Bozzspeed
30-04-2011, 10:41 PM
it's just the teeth on the diff gear (310001) hitting the shaft that the the four smaller gears are sitting on.

Don't stress to much over it. After a five minute run, you want feel it again.

:thumbsup:

Nigel
01-05-2011, 12:34 AM
ok thanks so should i tighten the diff up more? or leave it how it is? (its totally tight and then around 2 turns off each screw)

Big G
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
my rear one does that. front one doesn't. never had a problem with either of them.

braddaz
01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
hi, have you made sure that the gear at bottom of diff case is fully home on hexanganal output shaft? you may need to tap it on bit more as if it isn`t it makes gears bind up when cover is tightened up.
have you followed the instuctions on teamdurango website bit more info on building them than in instructions i found.
hope it helps

paulc
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
well i just got my dex410R a couple days ago and i started assembling it and i noticed the diff dose not seem to be that smooth when i spin it like i can feel every gear spinning against the other one.

and if i loosen off the skrews that hold the ring gear to the diff box anymore it will leak like crazy (its already leaking slightly)

also i don't mean the diff ring gear and the pinion gear i mean the gears that are inside the diff box.

thanks.

Hi

You may have put to much oil in the diff and when your screwing the ring gear back on pressure will be forced on the gears also trying to force the oil out of the diff aswell maybe why your getting abit of leaking

Nigel
02-05-2011, 05:20 AM
thanks for all the replies.

i ended up tightening the diff all the way and then backing off the screws by 1 turn and now its very smooth i can just feel ever gear clicking against the other ones but from what i have seen it sounds like this is okay or it goes away after some running.

thanks again for all the help :thumbsup:

paulc
02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
You should'nt need to back the screws off mine are as tight as they will go and my diffs are fine :) Plus slacking the screws off may cause movement on the ring gear and the internal gears aswell and you might start chipping ring gears

Stu
02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
All the screws should be tight, obviously don't go nuts and strip the case but they should be well 'nipped up'.

Good advice below.

hi, have you made sure that the gear at bottom of diff case is fully home on hexanganal output shaft? you may need to tap it on bit more as if it isn`t it makes gears bind up when cover is tightened up.
have you followed the instuctions on teamdurango website bit more info on building them than in instructions i found.
hope it helps

Durango diff' build guide. (http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=2584)

Nigel
02-05-2011, 09:27 PM
when i build the diffs i used this both this http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=24

and this http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=2584

and from what i can tell i built the diffs correctly.

if i totally tighten the screws i can still spin the diff but its very hard to spin.

EDIT: one more thing my diffs did not come with seals but i see people talking on this forum about stock seals? so should my truck come with seals? but that would not make sense because the instructions never showed any seals when i assembled?

Nigel
03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
and one more thing i noticed is when i was looking on this site http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=24

his ring gear looks different than mine. so i think i have a newer version of a ring gear. so dose anyone else have a newer version like me? and have a similar prob?

Nigel
03-05-2011, 02:55 AM
well i think i fixed my problem.

it ended up being that my bottum diff gear was not fully home on hexagonal shaft just like braddaz said may be my problem.

so thank you so much every one!