PDA

View Full Version : Cougar SV pointers????!

andyroooo
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I recently picked up a Cougar SV from the for sale section on here with the view to getting back into racing after a 14 year break after I realised TORCH was only a few miles up the road from Bishops Waltham where the Mrs lives.

Just wondering would any one be so kind as to point me in the direction of a rough set up I can put on the car before I turn up for the first time???!! Would rather concentrate on my driving and getting back into things first time back rather than messing around changing oil and pistons every round!!! :thumbsup:

mikeyscott
04-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I recently picked up a Cougar SV from the for sale section on here with the view to getting back into racing after a 14 year break after I realised TORCH was only a few miles up the road from Bishops Waltham where the Mrs lives.

Just wondering would any one be so kind as to point me in the direction of a rough set up I can put on the car before I turn up for the first time???!! Would rather concentrate on my driving and getting back into things first time back rather than messing around changing oil and pistons every round!!! :thumbsup:

I will dig one out that's worked for me. I'm sure others have better setups though. Is it standard or 8mm longer chassis?

Team Schumacher hope to attend soon :)

Oh and welcome. Who's car did you get?

martin so16
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM

theres lots of different set ups its finding one that works for you why dont you pop down the track this sunday and have a chat with a few drivers tyres are a big thing with are track

hazeandfizz
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I ran my Cougar at TORCH for the 1st time last weekend and ended up the highest placed Cougar. I will post a full setup when I return from holiday but will list the main points for you below.

Shocks, front. 5 hole pistons 35WT oil 4.5 spring.
Rear. 5 hole pistons 30WT oil 2.5 spring.

Tyres, stagger rib fronts. Yellow mini spike rear.
-2.0 Deg camber front and back.
Front wishbones reversed, medium wheel base setting (try running in long wheel base to start with).

As I say when I return from holiday I will post a full setup sheet.

Feel free to PM me any questions,
James.

andyroooo
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I realise there are probably plenty of set ups for the track (I work in full size motorsport now, used to race well in the north east regional series along with a 7 year stint working at Modelsport so many years ago!!!) Just a few pointers towards a known base set up that someone has tried before to work from is always better than making it up as you go along!

Tyres shouldnt be a problem, I have quite a large selection that I recovered from a hauler bag in my parents loft the last time I went to visit. Schumacher Blues, greens, and yellows - Minispikes, Pins, studs and Stagered ribs Ballistic Blues, Greens and Pink minispikes. Losi Silvers along with god knows how many other randoms.... They ve probably gone harder than they should be but I think it should be covered!!!

Mikey - it was Oldskoolracers car that I picked up http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/andypeck26/CPUK20005.jpg I Will see you down there on Sunday if she is working otherwise it will have to wait for another week!!! :thumbdown:

robelmes
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Here's mine

Front:
40wt oil 4lb spring 5 hole pistons
4mm lowered front shock tower
front wishbones reversed
shock on outer hole on wishbone, middle hole on shock tower
5 degree yokes
Long front camber link
front hub spacer on top of the hub
yellow stagger ribs medium inserts
-2 deg camber

Rear:
30wt oil 2.5lb spring 5 hole pistons
shock on inner hole of wishbone, inner hole of shock tower
4.5 deg anti squat
4 deg toe in
medium wheelbase on +8mm chassis (long wheelbase if using standard chassis)
Yellow minispikes with outer row cut off, medium inserts
-3 deg camber

mikeyscott
05-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Very nice. I won't be there this week, helping the lady out, but if you do come down I'm sure the guys will give you a good welcome.

Have a llok at our summer series dates.

Oh and think about getting a PT ;)

I have been running a SV, but been running a Vega at the mo.

SteveB
05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I realise there are probably plenty of set ups for the track (I work in full size motorsport now, used to race well in the north east regional series along with a 7 year stint working at Modelsport so many years ago!!!) Just a few pointers towards a known base set up that someone has tried before to work from is always better than making it up as you go along!

Tyres shouldnt be a problem, I have quite a large selection that I recovered from a hauler bag in my parents loft the last time I went to visit. Schumacher Blues, greens, and yellows - Minispikes, Pins, studs and Stagered ribs Ballistic Blues, Greens and Pink minispikes. Losi Silvers along with god knows how many other randoms.... They ve probably gone harder than they should be but I think it should be covered!!!

Mikey - it was Oldskoolracers car that I picked up http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/andypeck26/CPUK20005.jpg I Will see you down there on Sunday if she is working otherwise it will have to wait for another week!!! :thumbdown:

Hi, Looks like a cracking set up you have come accross, car looks mint, I will be giving my SV a go on sunday, I have some base settings but to be honest no perfect setup yet for the track we have laid.

Make sure its not over damped and runs 2.5 springs on rear, and feels fairly soft on rear. 3.5 to 4.5 springs on front and slightly hard on front than the rear. Off you go, rest we can sort on the day. Oh long wheelbase as well. 3.5 rear toe block. If you ve not got one its the end the of the world.

andyroooo
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for that Steve, it does seem to be a good set up i have picked up on here, I kept my KO Vantage II and servo etc from years ago which should be more than up to the job but maybe a little worried about the ORECA speedo and motor combo I picked up maybe not being up to scratch? Im probably being picky but its bigger than the M Troniks kit I used to run and just seems a little "cheap" begining to think I should have bought the Speed Passion GT2 that I walked into the shop with the intension of buying. Then again I have no intension of spending the same time or money on this I used to do when I was 16. Just glad the sport no longer requires a separate pack of cells per run for the day!!!!

Sundays now a non starter so I might break it out on tuesday at SHRCCC for a shake down and pop down to visit you the following sunday when things ae a little bit fresher!! :D