PDA

View Full Version : Durga or XX4 WE

rcciao
22-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Been looking to get back into the hobby with a 4wd buggy. Just looking for a backyard basher with some potential to race.

Can buy a new Durga for about $200USD or new xx4 we for about $250USD. Which car would be better? I've been struggling to decide.

Any and all feedback appreciated:)

DCM
22-12-2007, 11:34 PM
the xx4 has race pedigree but got to wonder how long parts will be supported, the Durga is new and will have parts support for the forceable future and is pretty robust.

ashleyb4
22-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Well for racing the xx4we but for bashing the durga.

A

DCM
22-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Ash, the Durga is also a competitive beast to, it shares the same geometry as the 501X so it got pedigree.

XX4 owners got to think about parts support now.

rcciao
23-12-2007, 03:19 AM
yeah, xx4 parts support is a concern, but i would try to stock up on some spares and hopefully minimize breakages by running primarily as a backyard basher.

how about maintenance? it seems the durga requires less maintenance.

what about the ability to handle brushless. is the durga gearing robust enough?

losixxx
23-12-2007, 08:46 AM
its been said several times on other thread but just incase you've forgotten, there's only 1 part in short supply and thats the chassis ALLLLL other parts are in stock and will continue to be produced!

bert digler
23-12-2007, 09:09 AM
its been said several times on other thread but just incase you've forgotten, there's only 1 part in short supply and thats the chassis ALLLLL other parts are in stock and will continue to be produced!
thats cool chris unless you break chassis lol

losixxx
23-12-2007, 10:11 AM
short supply not not available;) got to go to the right place's:D

DCM
23-12-2007, 11:35 AM
short supply will turn into out of stock at some point, then you are left with converting to an X5....

The durga, with the addition of front cvd's and a slipper will handle anything.

ashleyb4
23-12-2007, 02:14 PM
but its not in the same leage of racer upgrade the durga to the max and it wont be anywhere near as fast as a stock xx4. As chris has says parts are still being produced.

Ace car. Still one of the best in the world and its 10 years old. One of the most succesful cars of all time imo

A

DCM
23-12-2007, 02:54 PM
but its not in the same leage of racer upgrade the durga to the max and it wont be anywhere near as fast as a stock xx4. As chris has says parts are still being produced.

Ace car. Still one of the best in the world and its 10 years old. One of the most succesful cars of all time imo

A

dude. yet again you spout without knowledge.... the DB-01 is a competitive car for the average joe, even the lesser... ash... the XX4 is little much for newbies an some club racers.

Southwell
23-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't get either, B44 or D4 would be my choice, even though i run a xx4, for a new starter it's probably not the best car to start with.

ashleyb4
23-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Can a durga win a national no can a xx4 win a national yes easily.

A

sosidge
23-12-2007, 03:01 PM
My box stock Durga managed a 17th in round (out of 49) at the last NE regional using a 19T motor, my first outing with the car, a year since I last raced a buggy.

Never finished close to that with my Lazer ZX-5.

Durga has all the fundamentals to be a great car. Might even be quicker than a 501X in some conditions when upgraded.

And none of the Durga moulds are broken yet!

Southwell
23-12-2007, 03:03 PM

A

How do you know, no top drivers run it. I suggest you abandon this thread.

PaulRotheram
23-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Posts moved and warnings handed out.. please grow up :rolleyes:

super__dan
23-12-2007, 03:46 PM
For what you want to seem to do, the XXX4 would likely be a better bet than the XX4, the drivetrain IMHO is more reliable and easy to maintain (or not need to do much really). It has the same basic layout of components as the Durga.

I can't be arsed to say whether the XXX4 is better/worse than the Durga but it is a good car, I ran one for 2 years and did really well in the UK.

PaulRotheram
23-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Funny you sasy that, I was about to post about the xxx4 as they are still in good use over in the U.S I think? And parts avaliability should be pretty good! Should be a good car for bashing around, and even more so if you ever decide to race it!

DCM
23-12-2007, 03:57 PM
the XXX4 was the highest place Losi at the Euros this year, as the track suited it more....

jimmy
23-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Paul showed me the crap that went down whilst I was sleeping (after a heavy nights Durga reviewing) and it's waaaaay off!
People need to chill out and instead of going all patriotic over whatever car they own, try and be a little subjective and sensible :wtf:

ashleyb4
23-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Im sorry jimmy i love you.:wtf: But not in a gay way.

A

mark christopher
23-12-2007, 04:14 PM

A
depends on the driver.

the guy only wants to get back into the hobby and possibly race, the tamiya will be fine for that!

andy reeves
23-12-2007, 04:37 PM

A

I have had the chance to race against a couple od Durga's now with my xx4 and in my opinion the Durga is a very good car. Jason's one was a match for mine at Coventry even without the Slipper so will go even better and jimmy beet me with one at the Hotbodies meeting.

Col
23-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I'll vouch for that, Jimmy was on fine form at York a few weeks ago. However, as a XX4 owner if I was starting up again (bashing or racing) with hindsight, I'd buy a nice cheap Laser ZX5

ben
23-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I noticed that jimmy wasnt too far behind an associated b44. Which shows the car has potential

lil ben

Doomanic
23-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Posts moved and warnings handed out.. please grow up :rolleyes:

Can't believe I missed a good bitch-fight.:mad:
Handbags at dawn?:D

jimmy
23-12-2007, 06:19 PM

A

When the Durga review is complete on oople.com - There will be a chance to win a brand new Durga - enter that ash, and if you win you can test your theory out! :p

ashleyb4
23-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Oh

A

DCM
23-12-2007, 07:22 PM
it is well poised piece of kit.... the XX4 is a very capable car, just needs TLC.

Jimmy, ho long till review is up?

ashleyb4
23-12-2007, 07:26 PM
me and jimmy been talking i see why it is diffrent ;) lets enter this comp might be able to get dad racing.

A

rcciao
24-12-2007, 05:29 AM
all,

appreciate the feedback and opinions. didn't mean to start a battle of words.

durability, cost, performance, parts availability, and low maintenance are all important factors for me. racing potential is nice, but i'm not planning to race seriously, if at all.

i've been checking out various websites for xx4 parts supply and the situation looks good for now.

my last car was the vintage rc10 and my only experience with 4wd was the hirobo truck which was really brittle.

i would really like to read input from people who have owned both the xx4 and durga who can provide more insight. thanks again everyone.:)

Doomanic
24-12-2007, 08:15 AM
If you are planning on bashing, get the Durga, if only because the front wishbones are much stronger.
If you want to race, the XX4 should be the better prospect, but it's too early to tell if the Durga will be any good.

DCM
24-12-2007, 09:30 AM
the Durga is oh so new but very robust and really been aimed at lub racers and bashers, but that don't mean the performance is poor, I could keep up with touring cars with the same motors in when I ran it, so it is nippy. The XX4 got vast amount of info out there about it but is more aimed at the racer rather than basher.

In average hands I can't really see much difference.

sosidge
24-12-2007, 02:40 PM
durability, cost, performance, parts availability, and low maintenance are all important factors for me.

I think the Durga will be a better car for you.

Durability is not a XX-4 strong point, certainly out of the box. Parts availability is a real concern now though, chassis are acknowledged to be out of production, front shock towers went through a really lean spot last year too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start any arguments here, the XX-4 is a superb car, especially for UK conditions, but now that Losi don't seem interested in supporting it properly any more it's hard to recommend it to anyone. I've noticed a lot of people move away from the XX-4 locally over the winter for this very reason.

There are now probably half-a-dozen modern, competitive cars on the market that in theory do not have any problems with parts supply, these would all be my choice over a XX-4 today.

rcciao
10-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the all input. I finally pulled the trigger on a xx4 we kit. I'm now trying to decide on the rest of the gear:

Motor: mamba 5700 or 6900?
Batt: max amps saddle 4000mah lipo
charger: trinity ac slow charger TRI22004
servo: Airtronics 94162Z
radio: cs2p

thanks again guys!:)

davidka
23-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Get the 5700 of the two. The other is simply too much power. Check to be sure that will fit too. The Mamba Max speedo is long and the XX4s' chassis is tight to fit things. For BL, the LRP or Nosram (whichever is more popular where you are) is probably a better choice for fit in that car.