PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Durga - DB01 review

jimmy
27-12-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewtamiyadurga/bodybling01x.jpg

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewtamiyadurga (http://www.oople.com/forums/../rc/photos/reviewtamiyadurga)

Metla
27-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Sweet.

Now I wished I had waited.:D

ryan
27-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Just read it through Jimmy, another excellant review!!!:D

ashleyb4
27-12-2007, 06:00 PM
ace review jimmy lots of breakages though :(

that motor looks familier :)

Where is this competition then jimmy?

A

PaulRotheram
27-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hardly call a wishbone and a shock shaft alot of breakages mate..

Great review Jimmy, you've done the burga, or durga proud!

jimmy
27-12-2007, 07:52 PM
haha, that motor is ace ash! :)

Breakages - I broke a wishbone in a full speed head-on crash into an immovable object. Something had to break sadly. The shock shaft was a 501X shaft - not the kit dampers.
Any other breaks listed are not on my car but a 'heads up' to prospective owners on what's been breaking.

A.J. Gee
27-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Awesome job as usual on the your review. The Durga truly is an awesome vehicle in my opinion and apparently in yours as well. Such a kit deserves the attention and praise that it has attained throughout your review. Keep up the good work.

A.J.

craigosh
27-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Awesome review as always Jim. Want one even more now :D

Out of interest would the 501x outdrives fit? would it be worth ordering some with the kit?

Bit of a tough question though now!! to get the kit with the slipper, replacment screws, 501x shocks, CVD's and ali steering bridge its comes out at about £165 from japan; but you can get a 501x for £216...
Do you reckon its worth saving the 50 odd quid and going for the durga?

A.J. Gee
27-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I know that you mentioned it in your review but i will still say that the bottom of your chassis looks a little melted. My chassis doesnt look like that, but i guess thats what makes your car unique from the other ones. :D

A.J.

DCM
27-12-2007, 10:19 PM
mine is like it to, the bottom of the chassis, I think it is just a quirk of the sie of moudling to be honest, it hasn't caused any tweak either.

Breakages are just what you would expect, not to sure why the shok towers are going though, will have to look into it. Think I shall have to get some carbon towers for racing, or make some.

Spoolio
27-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Brilliant review, almost makes me want to break out the screwdriver and start on mine...but first I've got to rip apart my Hotshot to fit the widget I left out of the front gearbox (at 2am a Tamiya manual starts to make as much sense as a quantum physics textbook):wtf:

Keep up the good work.

budgio
28-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Great review Jimmy !

As always ;)

Toonz
28-12-2007, 01:15 AM
great review and always the beautiful pictures!:D

BloodClod
28-12-2007, 05:54 AM
Out of interest would the 501x outdrives fit? would it be worth ordering some with the kit?

The outdrives will fit. I'm running a pair on mine now. :)

Another great read. Thanks for the awesome effort with the great pictures and content!

BREEZER
28-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Youve done it again "JIMMY" great reveiw I have a new 501X that I havant used yet may be it is time to get it race ready and get a DURGA to do some back to back testing and show that at club level it is a winner and that it reasonably cheap to be competitive. MARTIN.

P/S Where in the U/K can you get the slipper and front one way

ralphee
28-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Great review Jimmy, thank you for doing this. Im glad i bought the TI screw kit now, sounds as though its very needed.
Breezer, i myself dont know anybody with the slipper and one way in the UK, but they do show up on ebay from time to time and sell out fast, mine came from Japan in about three days so its not too bad buddy.

lee

ralphee
28-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Well ive just started the build, and yes i now see where Jimmy is coming from, no way would i even think of building this with the screws provided, without pre tapping they would be super tight, the TI ones i have are snug, but drive in great with a dab of grease.
It takes me back to building my Street Weapon years ago in a way lol.

lee

Fabs
28-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a TA05 one way apart from the fact that the 37T pulley might not fit. We coldn't use it on the 501X because the belts were the oter way round, which makes them the same way as the durga. Also the motor mount looks suspiciously similar if not identical to the TA05 one...

jimmy
28-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Might be able to, I thought it looked similar to the DF03 one way also - but I couldn't be bothered taking my df03 apart to try it.

AndyM
28-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Well done Jimmy!
another fantastic review mate!!
cheers! :D

Colinevan
29-12-2007, 02:50 PM
How good would it be to have a one make/model race i.e The Uk durga championships.

Something like that could really take off and proove that you dont need to spend vast fortunes to make a competitive car.

:p

ralphee
29-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Just a tip, if your using the TI screw kit, the screws that fit over the layshaft/slipper, wont fit very well, the heads seem to go in at an angle due to the molding.
Id go with the STD kit screws here as your going into alloy anyways and no worries on stripping heads.
This is the Tamiya screw kit BTW!

lee

sparrow.2
29-12-2007, 06:54 PM
The review was cool, the paint job fantastic and am I glad this site exists. After a 10-year break from racing it is just the thing to get up to speed on things :rolleyes:

One thing does spring to mind though... Assuming you get the DB01 (can't bring myself to use the name...) and the mandatory hopups (one-way, slipper, screw-kit, shocks, shock towers, CVD's etc.) the car is not actually that cheap anymore... Without doubt the car looks good and probably goes well with some transmitter skill, but in comparison will cost as much as a B44 or similar. Back when I was still racing the Top Force or Manta Ray was sort of similar. Competitive after a lot of money had been thrown at it...

I don't want to be too negative and I really like the look of the car! I'm just skeptical whether it really will end up being that much cheaper to run than a any other car that comes out of the box with all the bling.

PaulRotheram
29-12-2007, 07:17 PM
(can't bring myself to use the name...)

doo ittt, say it, burrgaaa, burrgaaa. oh damn, durgaaaa :p

sparrow.2
29-12-2007, 07:32 PM
DD..DD..DDuuurgh...Durrk...DDuurrrgghhhaaaarrr Hot damn I've forgotten what it's called now...

Seriously way too Team America for me ;)

Pronounced properly sounds like there ought to be half a kebab flying your way from the person saying it...

jimmy
31-12-2007, 01:01 AM
BURGA!

seriously though - the car is great from the box, which I hope I showed in the review by racing it twice.

It won't be that cheap if you hop it up all the way - but I don't think its either mandatory or a bad thing. If you want to race at the top level then you have to pay the money I'm afraid.

veecee
04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Another top notch review Jimmy well done. Love the way the Durga looks. I might have to dig into the kitty...

sim
05-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Great review, Jimmy. It's always hard not to hop up a car while you're doing the build, but I'm glad you raced it box stock for most of those 2 races.