PDA

View Full Version : A few setup questions

dibble34
15-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Have spent a lot of time reading and found a lot of useful info, however some of it has confused me slightly :eh?:

So i have 3 questions :)

1 - I run at a high grip astro track so used 15k & 7k oils as after reading up it looked like thicker oils would be the way to go. However the car was quite edgy and a friend who was running much thinner oils seemed to have a more predictable car. (all other settings very similar) . Now after trawling through various setups it would seem older ones went for thicker oils on astro, but some of the newer setups from this year prefer thinner like 7k & 3k. Could anyone advise?

2 - I have the rear skid plate on, how have others found it on astro?

3 - What is the affect of running the 4 or 2 rear brace?

Really is a great car and reallu impressed so far :thumbsup:

dibble34
17-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Anyone :confused:

Hulk
17-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi mate,

diff oils are really down to personal preference.

For me i prefer to use thicker oils up front e.g 12.5k or 15k, as i feel this really clams down the fron end when enetering a corner. You will have more on power steering though as a thick oil in the front acts more like a one way, pulling from the front under power.

In the rear i either use 5k or 7k on high grip astro tracks. Thinner oil in the rear allows more rotation, so is best suited to tight technical tracks. Thinner oil also seems to make the car slightly better over bumps. if the track is more free flowing with fast sweeping corners then i tend to use 7k.

In regards to using the 4 or 2 brace at the rear, this changes your anti squat and roll centre.

If you have + 2 at the front rear then the 0 rear brace will gibe you a high roll centre with zero degrees antisquat. This would be really good for bumpy tracks as a high roll centre reduces driveshaft plunge, allowing your suspension to soak up bumps easier. You will find running a high roll centre will make the car more prone to grip roll as it creates a jacking effect when cornering. Running a low roll centre i.e - 2 front rear brace will allow the rear of the car to stay low when cornring, allowing the chassi to roll smoothly into the corner therefore reducing grip roll and making the car feel less on edge.

Look in your DEX410 manual and there is a diagram which shows which braces give what anti squat and roll centre.

Hope this helps.

Craig

dibble34
17-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi Craig, thanks very much for that. I have found the diagram in the manual, just wasn't sure of the effects. Appreciate you taking the time to explain :thumbsup: