PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

mjp
29-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Hello,

I used to have a couple of cars many many years ago (Traxxas TRX-3 and a Schumacher CAT-2000) and used to race at Bury Metro RC back when we had people like Carl Tooley, James Prichard, Chris Long and the like. I remember Neil Cragg racing there when he must have been about 12 or 13, and whipping our arses then.

Anyway I packed it around 1997 but have discovered this site recently which has possibly inspired me to have another go. I live in NW (near Warrington) but have heard BMRCC's future is in turmoil (as it always was!) so am looking for a local club to me (possibly Leigh or Southport, if they are still going)

I've still got all my original gear but I think it's out of date now, so was wondering what the most raced class is nowadays, and what's decent kit to start up again with?

Ta,
M

markwilliamson2001
29-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Biggest classes at the moment are still 10th Off-Road, and quite possibly touring cars (but who doesnt like bumps and jumps and some dirt??)

Your Cat 2000 is possibly still fairly competitive at club level, but may be hard to find spares for. Currently in 2wd off-road the Associated RC10B4 is clubmans favourite, but 4wd is a mixed bunch (New RC10B44 (4wd AE) and the Hotbodies D4 would be cars that are going well of late).

The biggest upgrade you will need is electrics (batteries speedos and motors). Your brushed speedo may be okay, but any motors with todays batteries will probably not last, which comes onto brushless motors and speedo's (which are nearly maintenance free, and performance does not degrade like brushed!).

HTH
Mark

PaulRotheram
29-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Southport and Bury are still alive and kicking!

Southport website: http://www.srcc.co.uk
Bury Website: http://www.bmrcc.talktalk.net/

mjp
29-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info.

Do most people use Brushless motors now? i think my old Nosram Dominator + Trinity Kinwald + Orion 1700s will probably be shot ;)

The most important thing for me is having somewhere where i can have a reasonable race at a club level - so many times I went down to the BMRCC and there were 5 people there tops, which makes it a waste of money (as i'm not intending (yet) to go to any National competitions!!)

PaulRotheram
29-12-2007, 07:24 PM
We weekly have great turnouts at southport. We are currently indoors and get about 5 heats per week (we cater for buggys, mardaves and scale saloons indoors). Outdoors we have 30-40 drivers arrive to race everyweek.

Southport are holding the Southport Indoor GP on the 13th of january, we have about 65 people pre booked and it's looking to be a great day. We are over in Formby High school (location on the website), It may be worth while coming along to see what people are running?

I'll gladly help out, just see the guy in the oOple t-shirt !

mjp
29-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi Paul

Thanks - I will come along and have a look.

Is the most popular class 2 or 4WD? I must admit I preferred the 4WD class back in the day, when there were only 2 or 3 cars (Predator, CAT2000 and YZ-10 :D) but there only ever seemed to be 1/2 to 1/3 of the racers as most people had RC10's or the Losi XX 2WD cars.

PaulRotheram
29-12-2007, 07:41 PM
2wd is still the most popular class, as the parts are cheap, they dont break as much and the maintinance is better. But people are slowly getting them selfs 4wds, but i cant really comment about the 4wd popularity untill the outdoor season starts.

But ideally if your looking to get back in to things, get your self a second hand B4, and a decent brushless system with a slow wind motor, depending on your ability!

Again, come see me and i'll point out to you who's running what and see what you think in comparison to your self.