PDA

View Full Version : Faulty wheels nuts!?

captainlip
20-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Ok getting VERY pissed to say the least, every single night I race my front wheels work their way loose and fall off!!! Ive missed winning 4 heats and a 2 finals in various events and tonight failed to finish a final!

I've used threadlock and let dry, I've also threadlocked with wheels on, I've tightened the nuts to the point I physically can't tighten them anymore and yet on carpet they always always work loose!

Wtf is going on? And what can I do? I've ordered core rc serrated nuts to see if it helps, in an attempt to stop destroying rims!

But seriously yet again this is another part that has failed or fails to do it's job, any suggestions from team Durango? Or is this another case of user error bullshit?......highly unlikely!

OoD1S
20-05-2011, 10:33 PM
sounds like you have done everything you can. New nuts is about the only answer this does happen on most cars. The B44 is very prone to this happening.

Dudders
20-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Are they Nylock?

leeboy44
20-05-2011, 10:37 PM
i had a small problem with the fronts, well the left side mostly.

i bought new nuts from durango and ive not had the problem again and ive run my car on grass, carpet, over jumps and all sorts with them.

i do change them after every few times i take the nuts off just incase

not much help there tho sorry

phil c
20-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Ive been told by Craig colinson that it's the crush spacers between the bearings that causes the problem . Replace it and should be ok ( apparently )

captainlip
20-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Replace the spacers? Why would this need replacing with same parts?

HyperFX
20-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I stopped using the TD axle nuts the first time they caused a dnf.
Went to the local hardware store, bought non-serrated low profile nylock nuts, and have had no more problems.
I have had limited luck with the Traxxas serrated alu locknuts as well, but only after removing the serrated part.

Bozzspeed
21-05-2011, 12:08 AM
In 6 months of using my DEX410 i have never lost a wheel. (except when I didn't put the wheel nuts on at all, that's another funny story). A mate next to me decided to change his wheel nuts to some red one, cause they matched his body colour. Well his wheel's started to fall off because they weren't serrated.

I have to ask.

Are you using Durango's serrated nuts or non-serrated nuts?

The wheel has to be falling off for a reason. You all so need to start posting some pictures.

MRD
21-05-2011, 12:48 AM
I use the CORE serrated nuts on my Tamiya's and Ive never had one come off. I've been using the same nuts for over 12 months. Give them a try :).

Southwell
21-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Wow, after reading your last thread about your diffs, im suprised you are still so rude about Durango. Can you not post a normal thread without slating a manufacturer?
When wheelnuts become loose putting them on you replace them, only the nyloc keeps them decent.

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I'll post what I wat about something I spend my hard earned money on, and if it's not upto scratch I want to know why, I'm entitled to raise points about poor manufacturing when it's costing me race wins, I bought a Durango for it's "well machined" engineering! What a load of cock that is!

Yes I'm using Durango serrated wheel nuts.

Out of interest when I'm going round high speed corners rather than the wheel being smooth there is a wobble in the steering like the wheels are coming of this must exaggerate the nuts coming loose?

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 08:19 AM
sell it! ive offered to buy it before and you said it was the best car you have had even after the diff problems

jameswilkinson7
21-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah... I'll give you £50 for it. Its obviously not worth any more, what with all its faults.

Or swap it for some fishing gear http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70975

mattb
21-05-2011, 08:32 AM
ill out bid james ill give you £55???? or ill swap you for some old kids toys youl probably get more enjoyment out of them than the durango?

sly
21-05-2011, 08:38 AM
I'll swap it for a bmax ft, 2off

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 08:39 AM
£65 puls postage?? :thumbsup:

no really mate i can see your point about spending your hard cash on RC items and there is nothing worse then them braking down on the last corner

but from your last DIFF post you did kinda rub ppl up the wrong way, and it turned out to be your fault,

i can see your point with the wheel nuts as ive had the same problem, i changed the wheel nuts for new and it was sorted,

how old are your wheels? if they have been munched where the wheel nut sits then it may not be making a nice contact?

is 1 of your drive shafts bent? this could make the nut loose with the vibration?

im just putting my thoughts to you and try and rule out some things
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

budfish
21-05-2011, 08:49 AM
sell it! ive offered to buy it before and you said it was the best car you have had even after the diff problems

It's the only car he has had apart from a b4 rtr

Phil I've got an idea let's smash it to bits with a sledgehammer then post the pictures on here to really show the TD turds what you think of the recycled beer can piece of s**t!!'

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Phil I've got an idea let's smash it to bits with a sledgehammer then post the pictures on here to really show the TD turds what you think of the recycled beer can piece of s**t!!'

:lol::lol::lol:

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:52 AM
The diffs werent user error it was poorly machined cased, shit bearings they use and a well made story about user error.

Wheels are brand new just the nuts haven't been changed but ordered some.

Ive driven the bmax and quite liked it but I am a fan of these metal gears and when the rango works, it really works.

mark christopher
21-05-2011, 08:55 AM
i had a durango wheel come off, crunch spacers are the latest ones, serated wheel nuts ( which never come loose on my ic car) fitted some jcconcept b44 wheels and not had an issue since.

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:56 AM

It's being considered, cheap ass parts for sky high prices!

Look at the big bores, £140 a set with springs, rango are on another planet with pricing, they think they have a product better than everybody's but end of day has problems like every other rc product they just fail to acknowledge it.

I have paid £150 on diff parts including being sent off to rango and had diffs built buy Adam and they still ain't as good as they should be.

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 08:59 AM
try the new nuts and come back to us, the nuts do become smooth after a lot of use where the new 1's will be sharp and bite into the wheel.

try it and see but im all out of ideas for now
:thumbsup:

budfish
21-05-2011, 09:06 AM
It's being considered, cheap ass parts for sky high prices!

Look at the big bores, £140 a set with springs, rango are on another planet with pricing, they think they have a product better than everybody's but end of day has problems like every other rc product they just fail to acknowledge it.

I have paid £150 on diff parts including being sent off to rango and had diffs built buy Adam and they still ain't as good as they should be.

It seems to be the same across the board I'm sick of buying a £10 tree of parts just to use 1 part the shock tower mount must be worth about a £1 but they insist in shafting you with loads of other bits that never break.

As far as I'm concerned Phil you've spent loads on that ally piece of crap and if your not happy or satisfied shout it from the roof tops they are the turds supplying sub standard parts not you should make sure it's right before they sell it. And what's all this shit about b44 wheels the Durango kit wheels should work perfectly with the wheel nuts and if not then ask yourself why???

Profit....

Give them some abuse Phil I would they have ripped you off and to add insult to injury they say you are wrong!!

bally
21-05-2011, 09:25 AM
You could try B44 wheel hexes, they will need spacing, Ive never had a durango wheel come loose on my B44.

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 09:26 AM
It seems to be the same across the board I'm sick of buying a £10 tree of parts just to use 1 part the shock tower mount must be worth about a £1 but they insist in shafting you with loads of other bits that never break.

As far as I'm concerned Phil you've spent loads on that ally piece of crap and if your not happy or satisfied shout it from the roof tops they are the turds supplying sub standard parts not you should make sure it's right before they sell it. And what's all this shit about b44 wheels the Durango kit wheels should work perfectly with the wheel nuts and if not then ask yourself why???

Profit....

Give them some abuse Phil I would they have ripped you off and to add insult to injury they say you are wrong!!

b44 wheels from JP are like 4 for £6 ish and they fit and look nice on the durango,

ask yourself this (the both of you) how many otheres are complaining about durangos?

if your not happy sell it mate i will offer you good money to buy it or as another chap put on here swap for the fishing stuff on the wanted section, but then you be complaining the hook fell off when you had 50lb fish on and budfish will be saying PHIL JUMP IN AFTER IT AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF IT :lol::lol:

captainlip
21-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I'll try the core rc nuts and see but I'm not racing indoors for a while now as will be outdoors. I'll see if they are any better

Chequered Flag Racing
21-05-2011, 09:49 AM
NUTS, you must be :lol:

1. either crimp the outside of the nut so it's a tighter fit on the axle threads

2. Lightly damage the axle thread so the nut is a tight fit

3. Superglue. One drop on the threads. Screw nut on and off and let SG dry before putting wheel back on.

4. Use some ShooGoo to leave deposit in threads

mark christopher
21-05-2011, 10:27 AM
NUTS, you must be :lol:

1. either crimp the outside of the nut so it's a tighter fit on the axle threads

2. Lightly damage the axle thread so the nut is a tight fit

3. Superglue. One drop on the threads. Screw nut on and off and let SG dry before putting wheel back on.

4. Use some ShooGoo to leave deposit in threads
aint he left enough deposits in threads?:woot:

Shaun 'TheSheep' Atkinson
21-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Going back to your previous thread about the diffs again...

Why the hell not just email TD!? Instead of sat at your computer moaning on a forum again!, Actually try emailing the company your slagging off!! Once you actually sucked it up and emailed TD last time, your problem got sorted....

If everybody who had a little problem with an RC car came and posted it all over oOple, It would be a very boring place to be. I had quite a lot of problems with my previous car (that I have just got rid of) with maintenance issues, not finishing runs etc.... But I didn't come onto oOple posting shit left right and center slagging people/companies off!

I had a choice, talk to the manufacturer and persevere with it, or get rid and find something else.

mattybucks
21-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Try some new wheels with your nuts, I check my nuts after ever race :thumbsup: and when they start to loosen after a race I replace the wheels

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Going back to your previous thread about the diffs again...

Why the hell not just email TD!? Instead of sat at your computer moaning on a forum again!, Actually try emailing the company your slagging off!! Once you actually sucked it up and emailed TD last time, your problem got sorted....

If everybody who had a little problem with an RC car came and posted it all over oOple, It would be a very boring place to be. I had quite a lot of problems with my previous car (that I have just got rid of) with maintenance issues, not finishing runs etc.... But I didn't come onto oOple posting shit left right and center slagging people/companies off!

I had a choice, talk to the manufacturer and persevere with it, or get rid and find something else.

well said!!

coleman758
21-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I disagree with some of the frankly "A*rse Hole" comments.

I've been racing with Phil now every time they have fell off. He's Thread locked them and has been constantly tightening them. So something is clearly not right? so why is he getting slated?

When you pay so much money for a car, you expect it to be right.
and something as trivial as a wheel nut coming off every race without fail is kind of pathetic. how would you feel, Annoyed i would guess.

If people can't be constructive whats the point of even posting?

What happens when you have a problem?

leeboy44
21-05-2011, 12:03 PM

I've been racing with Phil now every time they have fell off. He's Thread locked them and has been constantly tightening them. So something is clearly not right? so why is he getting slated?

and something as trivial as a wheel nut coming off every race without fail is kind of pathetic. how would you feel, Annoyed i would guess.

yes but if hes using wheel nuts thats as old as the car then there going to keep falling off! serrated edge's on the nuts become rounded after lots of use and with nylock nuts the nylon wears and no longer works.

we try and help (like the diff thread) but then the bad language and piss taking starts and winds ppl up

Dazzler
21-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Have they always fell off? Unlikely as he is only now mentioning this problem.

This in its self should tell you that something has worn out, or has gone wrong or the problem would be there from day 1.

He should be looking at making constructive comments to obtain suitable ideas for rectification, he is getting this in some responses, but seems more intent on blaming Durango than investigating the problem.

captainlip
21-05-2011, 12:12 PM
It's always happened on high grip carpet racing, and to add last time I emailed them it was sorted at full cost and no consideration from Durango with a response saying was complete user error and the worst diffs they ever seen, well coarse they gonna be the worst they ever been a sent them to you as they were after one nights running from one rebuild and they were destroyed all because durango supplied shit bearing in the kit. Not my fault the parts supplied aren't fit for purpose, and why should I keep paying out for their lazy manufacturing?

Like I said I'll try new nuts and see how we get on!

samd
21-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Durangos do chuck front wheels off, you need to tighten the nuts as hard as you can every run, replace them often and if they still come off, something else is wrong, a bearing, buckled wheel, bent driveshaft etc.

Hope you get it sorted, nothing more annoying then a wheel off last lap

peetbee
21-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Tamiyas and B44s have the same issue with wheelnuts coming loose and the cure is to replace the wheelnuts when it starts happening.
Unfortunately the wheelnuts are consumables regardless of brand.

21-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Then you contact the company for help/advice, not go slagging them off on a public forum!!

I contact the company in question and speak to them about the matter, Not go slagging them off on a forum!!

coleman758
21-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Hang on then, Why doesn't someone just take the forum offline then?
after all whats the point lets all just go and ring Durango.

Big G
21-05-2011, 01:41 PM
In 6 months of using my DEX410 i have never lost a wheel.

same here. I've dremel'd down the thread to get in the box and never had a wheel come off still. kit wheel nuts for me.

21-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Hang on then, Why doesn't someone just take the forum offline then?
after all whats the point lets all just go and ring Durango.

You spend money on a Durango car, Have a little prob - Ring/Contact Durango!!

Same as if you purchased a mobile phone from a shop, if You had a problem with the phone, Would you sit on the internet complaining about it slagging the phone company/shop off on a forum? NO, You would be contacting the shop/company for help/advice!!

By making inappropriately named threads, "Durango can't build diffs for ****" and "******* Wheel Nuts!!" it is not going to get you anywhere, or your problem solved is it?! There are a lot of new racers and people wanting to get into racing that use oOple, and threads like this put people off buying Durango products just because you'd rather get attention on the internet for it than contact TD in the first place.

Southwell
21-05-2011, 04:01 PM
so why is he getting slated?

He starts off by just saying ***** wheels nuts!

He's annoyed people by being so rude.

I post a polite message asking for help, not blaming everything.

Eventually people will just start ignoring his threads.

Ciao

captainlip
21-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Posting these threads will get you somewhere as can share any problems or tips to stop wheels coming off, clearly others have the same problem.

And as for ringing Durango, that call cost me £60 as I sent the diffs for Durango to look at, when I called again they said they had located the issue and diffs are on the way back to me, next thing I get an email asking for £60, they had rebuilt the diffs and replaced parts regardless of cost and without informing the customer, so I wa left with the choice of £60 bill suprise or my original diffs returned to me free but in bits and still a mess, and in true fashion was given a load of bull of how it was user error regarding diff cases and bearings, what pissed me off was it was clear bull as the bearings were fine when sent off and the diff cases are moulded at Durango, not my fault they can't hold the bearings in place like they should have done, so again cases weren't even fit for purpose, and again I'm not the only one with this issue as everyone is sticking tape inside the cases to support the bearings

So less of the "must be you" nonsense, I'm sure I've the brains to at least screw a wheel nut on.

captainlip
21-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Eventually people will just start ignoring his threads.

Ciao

Ignore the thread then, do you think it bothers me if I offend Durango owners? Or Durango? I'm stepping up and saying companies are taking everyone for a ride in ripping us off and I'm not going to stand for it, especially when problems exist with parts as simple as a wheel nut

21-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Ignore the thread then, do you think it bothers me if I offend Durango owners? Or Durango? I'm stepping up and saying companies are taking everyone for a ride in ripping us off and I'm not going to stand for it, especially when problems exist with parts as simple as a wheel nut

Then get rid of the car and have done with it if it's really that bad!

That's like saying, "Hey, this shop is ripping me off, but what the hell, I will still shop there!" Obviously the diffs were a user error as nobody else had the same issue you had. I think the people at Team Durango know what they are talking about.

Companies obviously aren't taking everyone for a 'Ride' when your the only one sat here moaning about it lol

Big G
21-05-2011, 05:06 PM
they're not taking everyone for a ride at all! You're the only one having these issues with the kit. Like someone said if you hate the car that much just sell it!

captainlip
21-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok so I'm the only one with noisy diffs and wheels falling off, what a foolish comment.

I know of many Durango drivers with the same problems just don't post it on the forums.

Or maybe I am a fool who can't screw a wheel nut on, or diagnose diff issues, Durango came up with a bull shit story to cover their arses end of, I'm sorry you can't understand that.

Northy
21-05-2011, 06:30 PM
He's my 2 cents....

If the wheel has come off it is likely that the hex within the wheel is stripped.

If that has happened, now the hex turns within the wheel.

If that happens and the nut is tight up against the wheel, the axle turns inside the nut.

The nut comes loose.

The wheel falls off again.

If the put the same wheel back on it'll happen again, and a serrated nut would make it worse as that would grip the wheel more.

Try new wheels, new nuts and a drop of low strength thread lock on the threads.

beckybean66
21-05-2011, 06:54 PM
i enjoyed reading that LOL... i dont have one of these cars (just came along for a read) but i bought some blue flanged wheelnuts for my mardave not too long ago, they sent unflanged, and they were poop, ended up not being able to get them off again (down to the threads.... i think) ANYWAY, used some old silver ones we had laying around problem solved, just sucked that the new blue ones didnt go too well....
yer you prob didnt really wanna know that lil story, but passed some time for me lol :)

JohnM
21-05-2011, 07:01 PM
and again I'm not the only one with this issue as everyone is sticking tape inside the cases to support the bearings

No their not, I've not even had to think about putting tape in mine, and haven't stripped a gear in the gear box in the 19 months I've had the car.

JohnM
21-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I am a fool

Finally he gets it:lol:

paulc
21-05-2011, 07:03 PM
:lol::lol:

teamorsum96
21-05-2011, 07:05 PM
do these buggies come pre built or are they full kits?
because if its kit form im think the 6 Ps
Perfect
Preparation
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

lol

hottuna
21-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Traxxas TRA3647 4mm Steel Flanged Serrated Nylon Locking Nuts. problem solved ;)
http://www.losipartshouse.com/catalog/TRA3647-450_thumb.jpg (http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-29930/TRA3647-4mm-Steel-Flanged/Detail)

captainlip
21-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for that! Was the kind of input I was looking for!
He's my 2 cents....

If the wheel has come off it is likely that the hex within the wheel is stripped.

If that has happened, now the hex turns within the wheel.

If that happens and the nut is tight up against the wheel, the axle turns inside the nut.

The nut comes loose.

The wheel falls off again.

If the put the same wheel back on it'll happen again, and a serrated nut would make it worse as that would grip the wheel more.

Try new wheels, new nuts and a drop of low strength thread lock on the threads.

dpackster1980
21-05-2011, 07:45 PM
This bloke is a complete tool and a few sandwiches short of a picnic! :eh?:

I had a B44 and the wheel nuts started coming off the nyloc was worn. I replaced them as thread lock was useless. My Durango nuts started working loose recently what did I do? Replace them. They were worn and guess what the thread lock didn't work either.

You say you are getting ripped off how? £1.69 for 10 nuts are you serious you complete moron. That is cheap as chips. :thumbdown:

They come in large quanities for a reason. Buy new ones and sell it onto someone that has a clue and change your hobby.

As for the diff issue was more than likely your fault buy over tightening the gearbox cases nipping the bearings causing them to collapse. :woot:

Do you think there's a conspiracy against you? I doubt there is, I think you're just rubbish end of. :thumbsup:

captainlip
21-05-2011, 07:49 PM
If you read the thread you fool I ordered some nuts before even posting this!

mattb
21-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Any news on your durango sponsorship yet phil??

dpackster1980
21-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Any news on your durango sponsorship yet phil??

They'll have a party when they've found out he's sold it. :woot::lol::lol:

I wouldn't buy it though and neither will anyone else after his posts. Sound like he can't build a car for s&%t and doesn't have a clue about maintenance. It'll be in a right state, it'll be worth £50 because you'll have to buy a 410r to pit it right. :woot:

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Funny you should say that.....

teamorsum96
21-05-2011, 08:22 PM
This bloke is a complete tool and a few sandwiches short of a picnic! :eh?:
LMFAO :thumbsup:

Do you think there's a conspiracy against you? I doubt there is, I think you're just rubbish end of. :thumbsup:
LMFAO

jimmy
21-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I've seen lips build skills, so I can confirm he has no one to blame but himself for all his apparent 'troubles'.

I feel sorry for any manufacturer he buys a car from next !!!! :lol:

dpackster1980
21-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Funny you should say that.....

You've sold it? Good now you'll shut up at last. :thumbsup:

dpackster1980
21-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I've seen lips build skills, so I can confirm he has no one to blame but himself for all his apparent 'troubles'.

I feel sorry for any manufacturer he buys a car from next !!!! :lol:

I love it, proof the bloke is a knacker. :woot:

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Can't say anything yet until anything is confirmed.

I love making these threads, make such good banter, everyone sitting behind their Pc pretending to be 6th 5" 250lb untouchables :D

Everyone takes it so personally, oh shit I slagged off your buggy, so a small bunch of you get upset and start hurling your hilarious comments :D

bodgit
21-05-2011, 08:41 PM
If you really feel the car you bought is sub standard take it up with trading standards, but be prepared to be found out.

jimmy
21-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Funny that, as you've just described your own behaviour to a tee:thumbsup:

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Have you also missed the sarcasm in the whole thread!

I'm just making some banter, I've already got new nuts on the way, but some people don't understand sarcasm, it's had me in stitches all night :D

captainlip
21-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Funny that, as you've just described your own behaviour to a tee:thumbsup:

If you knew me or met me, I'm no different :D wen have I ever claimed to aimed to be a big bally pc toughnut? I say things as they are jimmy and I'm no different. Some people don't like it, but that's usually because they lack the social skills and brain power :D

teamorsum96
21-05-2011, 09:25 PM

I love making these threads, make such good banter, everyone sitting behind their Pc pretending to be 6th 5" 250lb untouchables :D

Everyone takes it so personally, oh shit I slagged off your buggy, so a small bunch of you get upset and start hurling your hilarious comments :D

i dont own a 1/10 buggy at all but i find it so funny to read lmfao

captainlip
21-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Exactly what I intended this thread to be! :D

Its funny how it goes from bit of banter to taking it to trading standards and name calling, some people hehe :D

Bozzspeed
21-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I’ve got it..

Check the tool that you are using to tighten up the nut. It may be stripped or the tip may be slipping in the driver handle.

I say things as they are jimmy and I'm no different. Some people don't like it, but that's usually because they lack the social skills and brain power :D

I don't know if you actually live by what you type.
Brain Power - and you can't build an RC kit? :confused:
Social Skills - your forum replies piety much confirms your social skill levels are at the lower end. :yawn:

And as for us other forum users are also “say thing as they are”………Tool

Bozzspeed
21-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I’ve got it..

Check the tool that you are using to tighten up the nut. It may be stripped or the tip may be slipping in the driver handle.

I say things as they are jimmy and I'm no different. Some people don't like it, but that's usually because they lack the social skills and brain power :D

I don't know if you actually live by what you type.
Brain Power - and you can't build an RC kit? :confused:
Social Skills - your forum replies pretty much confirms your social skill levels are at the lower end. :yawn:

And as for us other forum users are also “say thing as they are”………Tool

TonyM
22-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Simple summary - wheel nuts wear on all cars. They are a commodity item which, after a period of time, you need to replace, just like tyres and bearings.

23-05-2011, 10:03 AM

I don't own a durango! :woot:

Still don't understand why you would openly slag off a respectable company for your own 'Amusement'!? :thumbdown:

Your stupidity COULD quite possibly, have lost TD sales due to new comers reading your threads...

You talk about our social skills etc ... Yet your the one that wasted your time in the first place starting all this just for shits and giggles ... Why not just go down the pub for a laugh with mates? :confused:

I would piss myself if TD took it further and had you done for slander!! HAHA!

Big G
23-05-2011, 10:09 AM
a more sensible thread would be "problems with wheel nuts"

then we could of advised you try different wheel nuts rather than what it's turned into

teamorsum96
23-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't own a durango! :woot:

Why not just go down the pub for a laugh with mates? :confused:

because i dont think she ;) has any :D

captainlip
23-05-2011, 11:45 AM
It's just my time of the month, let's calm down guys their just toys, I've ordered some pink wheel nuts to match my underware.

coleman758
23-05-2011, 11:58 AM
It's just my time of the month, let's calm down guys their just toys, I've ordered some pink wheel nuts to match my underware.

:woot::woot::woot:

YOUR A "NUTTER"

23-05-2011, 01:08 PM

I don't think you understand that you can be potentially damaging a company's reputation though... :thumbdown:

Doesn't matter whether there 'toy' cars or real cars, it is somebody's Business/Job

captainlip
23-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Quick question but is the thread for the nuts imperial or metric?

Dazzler
23-05-2011, 05:16 PM
M4 metric... Want to buy some, I have a thousand... But only ever used 4!

captainlip
23-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Gonna try some serrated lock washers to to see if it helps, worth trying I guess

Dazzler
23-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I think northy's suggestion that the wheels are rotating / moving on the hexes is a good call, as realistically, this is the only reason why they would come loose. Have you looked closely at the hexes in the wheels? You could also Try holding the two rear wheels, and say the front right, then try to rotate the front left anti clockwise and see if it does try to slip on the hex... Don't go mad and damage anything though.. Your looking at forces similar to braking.

leeboy44
23-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Gonna try some serrated lock washers to to see if it helps, worth trying I guess

try these pal,
http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/details/M4-Aerotight-all-Steel-Self-Locking-Nut-6949.html

you can buy 1 or 100000 and try the serrated washers with them

these nuts are used on aircraft but remember once the on the aircraft they dont come on and off like wheel nuts but these are expensive for a reason THERE GOOD AND DO THE JOB

there £0.16p a nut where if you buy a normal nut from these ppl there £0.3p

let me know what you think there is only 14 in stock i bought 100 and change them now and then to be sure

i just use m4 flat washers

Dazzler
23-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I think that your car will become too wide for it to comply with brca regulations if you use those, as the serrated nuts with drive shafts dressed flush with the face is about the limit. ok for club or bashing...

try these pal,
http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/details/M4-Aerotight-all-Steel-Self-Locking-Nut-6949.html

you can buy 1 or 100000 and try the serrated washers with them

these nuts are used on aircraft but remember once the on the aircraft they dont come on and off like wheel nuts but these are expensive for a reason THERE GOOD AND DO THE JOB

there £0.16p a nut where if you buy a normal nut from these ppl there £0.3p

let me know what you think there is only 14 in stock i bought 100 and change them now and then to be sure

i just use m4 flat washers

HyperFX
23-05-2011, 07:02 PM
This thread is still going?!!
I figured the wheels would have fallen off by now. :p

leeboy44
23-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I think that your car will become too wide for it to comply with brca regulations if you use those, as the serrated nuts with drive shafts dressed flush with the face is about the limit. ok for club or bashing...

these fit on my car and thred of the drive shaft is still showing, so that being a standard size shaft should be ok??

got me worried now :o

Dazzler
23-05-2011, 08:13 PM
these fit on my car and thred of the drive shaft is still showing, so that being a standard size shaft should be ok??

got me worried now :o

The nuts I am using are 4.5mm wide and with both drive shafts ground flush with the face of these, it makes a pass in the BRCA box.. Camber adjustments can also help or hinder the width, but you want to be able to adjust this to suit the car, not the box. Measure up, you might be ok.

Adam Skelding
24-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Captainlip
Question 1.
The crunch spacer in your wheel. Is is a yellow alloy one or a black one?

Question 2.
Have you checked the bearings in the front wheel? If any is seized then your wheel will always come undone. This is the most likely cause.

Might be worth giving your car a once over.

All the team use stock parts.

If the wheel is coming off and you have the steel crunch spacer in. There lies another issue which is almost 100% bearing related.

Might be time to give your car a once over.
;)
I'll post what I wat about something I spend my hard earned money on, and if it's not upto scratch I want to know why, I'm entitled to raise points about poor manufacturing when it's costing me race wins, I bought a Durango for it's "well machined" engineering! What a load of cock that is!

Yes I'm using Durango serrated wheel nuts.

Out of interest when I'm going round high speed corners rather than the wheel being smooth there is a wobble in the steering like the wheels are coming of this must exaggerate the nuts coming loose?

Adam Skelding
24-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Having been the one that 'stripped' and rebuilt your diffs. Are you calling me a liar? Your bearings were completely shot.

Hmmm. Not exactly your most well thought out comment.

We took plenty of pictures and info regarding your diffs and could post them on here. Wonder if you might see the sarcasm in that?

However. As a professional company, we do our level best to help people who contact us directly. I'm pretty sure that everyone that has contacted us direct has been satisfied. I'm guessing your diffs work fine now as ther has been no posts. ;)

Forum's are a great place for getting tips and also banter. But for slagging off and slander. I'm not so sure. If you have an issue contact us we have 'social skills' and about 100 years of RC experience in the office.

As much as I'm a fan of free speech, there is a limit.

Be thoughtful of what you write, it might just come back and haunt you.

;)

Posting these threads will get you somewhere as can share any problems or tips to stop wheels coming off, clearly others have the same problem.

And as for ringing Durango, that call cost me £60 as I sent the diffs for Durango to look at, when I called again they said they had located the issue and diffs are on the way back to me, next thing I get an email asking for £60, they had rebuilt the diffs and replaced parts regardless of cost and without informing the customer, so I wa left with the choice of £60 bill suprise or my original diffs returned to me free but in bits and still a mess, and in true fashion was given a load of bull of how it was user error regarding diff cases and bearings, what pissed me off was it was clear bull as the bearings were fine when sent off and the diff cases are moulded at Durango, not my fault they can't hold the bearings in place like they should have done, so again cases weren't even fit for purpose, and again I'm not the only one with this issue as everyone is sticking tape inside the cases to support the bearings

So less of the "must be you" nonsense, I'm sure I've the brains to at least screw a wheel nut on.

leeboy44
24-05-2011, 10:30 AM
loads of guys have tried to help the pr*ck and all he does is come back to slag you and your helping skills off,

ive had it with him and if its a simple problem hes got and in 100% know how to fix it i wont be telling him how.

hes a totally ungrateful git how jumps in at the deep end winding us up

its a shame but i guess every forums got to have 1 of them :mad:

Cardnim
24-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I love the Internet :)

captainlip
24-05-2011, 10:48 AM
They are the alloy ones, and I rebuild the buggy after every two race meets. The bearings are ok and moving freely, everything else is as new. As per your next post I cant help but say the supplied bearings could be better.

I don't see this thread slanderous to Durango, it's clearly just some frustration at wheel nuts falling off no direct comment. Secondly the thread was to start a good bit of banter but people take their toys far to seriously, it's just buggy racing :D

Captainlip
Question 1.
The crunch spacer in your wheel. Is is a yellow alloy one or a black one?

Question 2.
Have you checked the bearings in the front wheel? If any is seized then your wheel will always come undone. This is the most likely cause.

Might be worth giving your car a once over.

All the team use stock parts.

If the wheel is coming off and you have the steel crunch spacer in. There lies another issue which is almost 100% bearing related.

Might be time to give your car a once over.
;)

Adam Skelding
24-05-2011, 10:57 AM
They are the alloy ones, and I rebuild the buggy after every two race meets. The bearings are ok and moving freely, everything else is as new. As per your next post I cant help but say the supplied bearings could be better.

I don't see this thread slanderous to Durango, it's clearly just some frustration at wheel nuts falling off no direct comment. Secondly the thread was to start a good bit of banter but people take their toys far to seriously, it's just buggy racing :D

If it's the alloy ones. Then there lies your problem
Your kit must be an old one as these were discontinued in kits about a year ago.
They are now replaced with:
http://www.team-durango.com/part-info.php?partNo=TD310032
&
http://www.team-durango.com/part-info.php?partNo=TD714001 for the rear.

I'd advise you to put these in. Your alloy spacer will not be doing the job it should. It will have become crushed and not be supporting the bearings anymore.

captainlip
24-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Will look at those ta!

captainlip
24-05-2011, 12:05 PM
To double check these are the parts that go through the middle of the bearings?

Adam Skelding
24-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes. They are the parts that sit between the bearings.

captainlip
28-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I've rebuilt the 4 driveshafts this morning and it appears the driveshaft pins were worn causing excess movement / vibrations causing the wheels nuts to come loose. Can't be the wheel nuts as had brand new core rc nuts on last night and twice the wheels came off.

Big G
28-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I snapped a rear pin and the wheel fell off straight away. That's the only time it's ever happened.

Dazzler
28-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I've rebuilt the 4 driveshafts this morning and it appears the driveshaft pins were worn causing excess movement / vibrations causing the wheels nuts to come loose. Can't be the wheel nuts as had brand new core rc nuts on last night and twice the wheels came off.

Is someone where you race having a joke on you, backing the nuts off before you run the car? Can't believe you are still having issues if you have tried all the remedial actions suggested above, I presume you have?

Chris-S
28-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Which core-rc nuts are these?

I have had zero wheels coming off. Using the durango serrated lock nuts, durango and associated wheels and the steel crush washer. I have added a small amount of blue loctite to the threads to make sure they nuts dont back off.

If you are using nyloc nuts, they only be re-used a few times before the nyloc becomes in-effectiv, same with k'nuts and other deformed thread type nuts.

leeboy44
28-05-2011, 11:18 AM
captinlip:

whats your address and i will send the wheel nuts i use, ive never had 1 come off

i will send you 8 free of charge and i will send them soon as you send me your address

HyperFX
28-05-2011, 01:51 PM
There may very well be a problem with the axles, and not the nuts. Try new axles, too.

Col
28-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I thought he'd decided the problem was badly built driveshafts, not the wheelnuts?

captainlip
28-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I've put it down to the driveshaft pins wear and tear they are built really well but the pins are worn now, not the nuts as bought new ones

mattb
28-05-2011, 10:32 PM
how can the pins be worn on a new car? my fs is nearly 2 years old and still showing no signs of wear

corsair
30-05-2011, 07:07 AM
how can the pins be worn on a new car? my fs is nearly 2 years old and still showing no signs of wear

You can't compare...you're running a different car.

captainlip
30-05-2011, 07:53 AM
You can't compare...you're running a different car.

A gayzer to :P

coleman758
30-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Well on Friday I was racing with the captain!

I'd had my car in bits before the race. Now I have just normal old M4 nylocks on my car. But when I was rebuilding it I lost one :( so i took a brand new Durango one off my spare car and used that.

AND... In the first heat the wheel came off!!

We are talking a brand new nut on a near brand new wheel.
I've run this car for the past 2 months with those nylocks and had ZERO problems???

captainlip
30-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Can of worms......

coleman758
30-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm not lying, nor slagging Durango off. Just telling it how it is...

bodgit
30-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm not lying, nor slagging Durango off. Just telling it how it is...

Did you borrow lips nut driver??

captainlip
30-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Did you borrow lips nut driver??

Haha im using colemans driver...... We've found the problem pmsl!

coleman758
30-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Thats it!

Its my 7mm EDS driver!!

Il throw that away and buy a new one!

mark christopher
30-05-2011, 01:45 PM
have you put new steel spacers in yet?

captainlip
30-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, and tomorrow il going to pick up a new set of front driveshafts and axels and use these as spares, that way if it happens again I can only put it down to the wheels themselves, I'll report back!

mattybucks
30-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, and tomorrow il going to pick up a new set of front driveshafts and axels and use these as spares, that way if it happens again I can only put it down to the wheels themselves, I'll report back!

Are they new wheels?

discothesnake
30-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Well on Friday I was racing with the captain!

I'd had my car in bits before the race. Now I have just normal old M4 nylocks on my car. But when I was rebuilding it I lost one :( so i took a brand new Durango one off my spare car and used that.

AND... In the first heat the wheel came off!!

We are talking a brand new nut on a near brand new wheel.
I've run this car for the past 2 months with those nylocks and had ZERO problems???

I'm not making anyone out to be dumb here but when using serrated nuts you really do have to tighten them right up til they can turn no more.

As i say, not making anyone look daft, just wondering if they are tight enough as i have not had any issues with wheels coming off and i've used the same set of nuts since day one.

Dave

captainlip
30-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Are they new wheels?

Yeah tried two sets

RC John
30-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I haven't had a wheel nut come off yet, but did notice the left front loosened on me once.
But I know someone that's had their wheel nuts come off a few times, and he's been racing long enough to know how to tight a wheel nut properly. I'm changing my stock nuts for the nylon lock nuts.

coleman758
30-05-2011, 05:30 PM
I haven't had a wheel nut come off yet, but did notice the left front loosened on me once.
But I know someone that's had their wheel nuts come off a few times, and he's been racing long enough to know how to tight a wheel nut properly. I'm changing my stock nuts for the nylon lock nuts.

That's what I have done! Mine are standard famous kit M4 locknuts.
Never had an issue until I put the Durango one on on Friday

teamorsum96
30-05-2011, 06:42 PM
i believe you can put the wheel nuts on the opposite way, for a quick fix

captainlip
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Problem solved, just do away with the rango nuts and get some better quality serrated ones

JosephShanks
05-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Three months of racing the rango with the stock nuts and I had a wheel come off just once. It was my fault as I didn't tighten it up all the way. I just replaced them as the doobly doos on em are starting to wear down.:) I also have yet to break it since I replaced the original diff loop. I had the diff locked down all the way. Once again, my fault.

traffman
05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I have had issues with the wheel nuts , just put it down to ppm.

You should allways give your car a quick tighten check after every heat , now i do .

Plus if you really want to just threadlock the nuts.

Stu
05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Problem solved, just do away with the rango nuts and get some better quality serrated ones

In what way are your new ones different. Are the serrations sharper, or deeper somehow?

mark christopher
05-06-2011, 12:23 PM
In what way are your new ones different. Are the serrations sharper, or deeper somehow?

just not worn out stu lol

budfish
05-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Talking to one of the lads who raced at ribble this Friday he said the captin was full of beans confident his wheel falling off issues was sorted new axels or something what happened first heat??? Go on guess ???
His wheel fell off

daz
06-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Talking to one of the lads who raced at ribble this Friday he said the captin was full of beans confident his wheel falling off issues was sorted new axels or something what happened first heat??? Go on guess ???
His wheel fell off
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmy
06-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Serrated nuts do not work if your wheel is moving on the hex - in fact, they are the worst thing you can use. Perceived 'better quality' serrated nuts will only be WORSE since they lock against the wheel and come loose even easier.
If the wheel moves - it loosens the nut - if the nut loosens the wheel moves more. And so on.

Dazzler
06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
And whilst he's spent £'s on new drive shafts, he still hasn't confirmed that he has infact spent £2.38 on the crush spacers.

http://www.team-durango.com/search.php?searchTerms=310032&Go=Go

If you're unsure where they are - look at your manual.

bodgit
06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe he should try one of these
http://www.mardavespares.com/tic2/sidecar2.jpg
wheel off job done

Mike Parker
06-06-2011, 11:21 AM
7 pages & 133 posts all on wheelnuts!! Outstanding :o

daz
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Tis a entertaining read tho.

samd
06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
my nuts feel loose.

mark christopher
06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
why dosent he try a left handed nut? ;)

Borat
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F2TSRyvC6m4/TQ6vabi7FqI/AAAAAAAAAKI/-bgi6xqsvf0/s1600/DSCF1493.JPG

Maybe one of these would be better?