PDA

View Full Version : another chrome Q

Body Paint
01-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I've finally got some chrome paint, I went for the Alclad stuff from Schumacher, it went on a treat, looked spectacular, but, I backed it with black fastkolor and then put on an Acrylic clearcoat after.

The net result was a load of cracks and a very dull chrome finish. Can anyone see anything wrong with what I have done?

telboy
01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Could be the clearcoat. I always back mine with black faskolor and dont realy have a problem with the finish. If anything you put on afterwards has the SLIGHTEST hint of a solvent in it then it will kill the finish of the shiny chrome look.

I normally do the chrome when there are a couple of layers to go in the job, this way it puts a couple of coatings of faskolor on the chrome. (this only works if the colours after the chrome are faskolor).

I've done this and backed it in custom colour nitro block, and it has kept its chrome finish. the faskoat also works without disturbing the chrome too (just a thin coat, not too thick)

Hope this helps dude.;)

racingdwarf
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm no pro paint man like you chaps,but I have painted a lot of shells in 15+ years. I have had no probs with Alclad chrome, I always back with pactra black. I use faskolor paint these days for most parts of the body but always pactra black on the chrome then back it all with white........old school:)

DCM
01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
same as Tel, I try to do the chrome as soon as possible, so the faskolor gets a chance to build up and seal the chrome. It could be the arylic affecting the fasblack rather than the alclad.

neiloliver
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Which shops in the UK carry this Alcad Chrome in a can? Can someone PM me with a suitable LHS please?

Regards
Neil

Body Paint
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks Tel, thats kinda what i thought. The faskolor was very thin prior to the clear coat, maybe the acrylic soaked through to the alclad.

Steve, I know it wasn't the clearcoat reacting with the black as I use it to back most of my shells.

I can't see me using much chrome, seems more hassle than its worth. I guess we'll try a thick coat of fastkolor before the clearcoat.

NEIL, any store that stocks schumacher stuff can get it, try microtech, i have seen it in there store before.

telboy
02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Craig, which clearcoat do you use?

dwarfy,
I'm amazed that you've managed to keep the 'chrome effect' when backing it with pactra.:o
Whenever i've done this, it just fades the shiny effect to a dull silver due to the solvent.

Is it the pactra solvent based or the acrylic? If its the acrylic then ok, that would work, but if its the solvent based, I'm surprised it didn't kill the chrome.
:)

Most shops that stock alclad paint should be able to get it in. They probably don't stock it all the time due to most painters using jars.

The aerosol is great for doing the 'marbling effect' because it dries slower.;)

Body Paint
02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
TEL, I use acrylic car clear laquer in a can, pssshhhht, Simonize to be exact.

telboy
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
hmmm, try using some thing like the faskolor faskoat (a bitch to get through the airbrush without it clogging, but i thin it down a bit with water)
or the custom colour nitro block.

Could be the simoniz stuff, might be a bit strong for the model car paints.

:)

Body Paint
03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
The simonize and halfords laquer is awesome on fastkolor paints, I've used it for years. I think this alclad chrome is just a bit weedy, so I'll need to put on my kid gloves whenever I use it.

I hate faskoat but I guess it may be the best option as I find CC nitro block very expensive, those itty bitty tins are like £4.99 and I used a whole can on 1 Truggy shell.

telboy
03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
:o bloody hell. 1 whole can!?

DCM
03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
you only need to do one to two coats to seal it

Body Paint
04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
LOL, I like to be sure :D