PDA

View Full Version : Weight Balance

HVAC25000
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM
What's the difference in weight balance between the S4 and BJ4WE? I've heard the S4 seems to be more weight forward and thus doesn't work as well as the BJ4WE on low grip tracks, but does work better on high grip. Any thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated.

Chris

Chris Doughty
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
the S4 certainly does have a lot more weight forward than most 4WD cars, but this certainly does not make it 'bad' on low grip tracks.

it does give the car a more 'drive from the front' feel though. some like it, some don't. but if you can drive it right, its VERY fast on low grip.

Body Paint
02-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I agree with Chris. The car does feel more about the front end, I was unsure of this at first myself but after a few runs you soon realise that the car is "FAST" to quote Days of Thunder "Loose is fast" and once you realise the car isn't going to "loop" in the corners you can start to muscle the car as much as you like.

If you want a 4wd car that handles like a 2wd but with more forward traction then the BJ4 weight distribution is great, but IMO you need to push the BJ4 quite hard to get the best from it. The first impression when you drive an S4 is that it feels much faster, I find I can relax with the car when I'm driving it and can feel confident that the car is lapping on the pace even though I am not ragging the guts out of it. With the weight further forward you can drive the S4 very deep into a corner and still be able to get it turned by using the extra drive the front of the car produces. I run the rear of my car quite stiff and don't find the rear of the car too loose even on wet astro.

AndyM
02-01-2008, 12:41 PM
but IMO you need to push the BJ4 quite hard to get the best from it.

my opinion is quite the oposite. i have run the car for a few months now, and when driving it, i just have to relax; just like the way you drive your S4.

Like Mr Lowe explained to me before i got the car; you only have to drive at about 80% to be quick; you just have to let the car drive you round the track. (Rich makes it sound so much more convincing :cool:)

But the BJ4 is just so easy to drive.
:D

Chris Doughty
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
my opinion is quite the oposite. i have run the car for a few months now, and when driving it, i just have to relax; just like the way you drive your S4.

Like Mr Lowe explained to me before i got the car; you only have to drive at about 80% to be quick; you just have to let the car drive you round the track. (Rich makes it sound so much more convincing :cool:)

But the BJ4 is just so easy to drive.
:D

the S4 is even more so like that. the S4's weight distribution is set so that is a very positive when steering.

the BJ4 may need to be driven smoothly and fast times come easy, but the S4 is even more that way.

ben
02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree with ya chris. If i drive my s4 smooooth it is very consistent and fast. Now i no why northy was always telling me to drive the s4 at 80%:)

lil ben

Northy
02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree with ya chris. If i drive my s4 smooooth it is very consistent and fast. Now i no why northy was always telling me to drive the s4 at 80%:)

lil ben

;);)

GRIFF55
02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I found that the S4 doesn't need to be pushed as fast laps can be made just by being smooth with it. But if needed or you want to drive aggressively then the car is sooo forgiving that it is possible. It didn't even want to loop out at the end of a carpet straight going onto polished floor corner.
I had a go with a bj4 (also a v good car) but did find the S4 suited my driving better. I could push more on corners, and it looks bloody gorgeous as well:p

HVAC25000
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

The S4 certainly sounds like an interesting car to drive. The prospect of an offroad car that uses the front end to pull itself through the turn and keep the back end in line is :wtf:. I've seen quite a few real on road cars that could do that, but never an offroad r/c car that could.

On low grip tracks, especially the fluff I have in my backyard, I'm used to basically drifting the car through the turns, and looping it once in a while, but I guess that style isn't going to work with a car like the S4 is it.

Well i guess I'll just have to try one someday!

Since it's weight forward, is there any difference in its jumping versus the BJ4? Does it scrape the front end on steep ramps, or nose down in the air without a lot of throttle?

I've seen the videos of Frederic Pain's car on Petit (at least I think it was Petit) and it looks phenomenal in the air, but the vids are kind of low quality so I could be misjudging.

Thanks again guys
Chris

Chris Doughty
03-01-2008, 08:25 AM
from what I have tested it jumps really well, its easier to bring the nose up than to put the nose down when in the air and the car is 'flying' normally, if you hit a rear-end kicker jump no car has any chance to getting that nose back up again.

elvo
03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
I've seen the videos of Frederic Pain's car on Petit (at least I think it was Petit) and it looks phenomenal in the air, but the vids are kind of low quality so I could be misjudging.

It was phenomenal, I was there. In the Ultimate FInal Option Super MAYHEM Extravaganza run, he was the first to sail the gigantic double perfectly. And after that, he proceeded to do it over and over, lap after lap, with perfect landings every time.

rcracer
14-01-2008, 02:30 PM
The more and more i drive my S4 i know i have found the right car for me..i might even be competative one day :p

xx4-nutter
14-01-2008, 07:26 PM
The more and more i drive my S4 i know i have found the right car for me..i might even be competative one day :p

Had my first go on one at teeside, what a car ! :o

Lee
15-01-2008, 05:47 PM
You must be really small:D

HVAC25000
15-01-2008, 06:00 PM
You must be really small:D

AHAHHAA