PDA

View Full Version : lipo, esc, motor & charger advice

gainsy
24-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Hi all
Decided to upgrade to lipo & brushless as i am getting a sx2
Could someone please advise me on a good package?
Will need a stick lipo 7.4v, a good charger for home & track ie AC/DC & a brushless combo, will 1 lipo do me for a meet? or will i need 2?
I have around the £200 mark for this lot, is that reasonable? or am i dreaming :)
Will be racing down at Watford before i try the regional's, is there a motor limit at these regional's as don't want to buy the wrong set up
Anything i might have forgotten please feel free to put me right as a bit of a newbie to lipo's & brushless
Cheers
Gainsy

/tobys
24-05-2011, 08:59 AM
single Lipo should be fine to get you going. make sure you get a balance charger for best results.

For your budget, you are best keeping an eye on on the "For Sale" section on here - that way you should be able to pickup some quality gear that won't need replacing as quickly. Aim for getting sensored BL motor/ESC - stuff from Speed Passion, LRP/Nosram, Novak, Tekin etc crops up from time to time and are all worth a look.

HTH :thumbsup:

mattybucks
24-05-2011, 09:17 AM
For the money you looking to spend I would go for a Hobbywing 120a V2.1

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=447

An Intellect Lipo - The high C rating the better - must be BRCA legal if your looking to do regionals.

B6 style charger - About £20-30

All the above from a popular auction site and from Hong Kong.

Re the motor I would see if you can get one second hand from the for sale section on here - popular winds for 4wd are 5.5 or a 6.5.

RogerM
24-05-2011, 11:30 AM
As matty said but buy from the UK so that you have support if you need it!

gainsy
24-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys for the advice :thumbsup:
Yeah will only buy from the Uk & will keep my eyes out for sale items on here
Changed my mind on the car, getting a new B44 now on friday :)

mattybucks
24-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I understand the beneifts of buying from the UK and I think where ever possible you should support your local model shop, however I think you'll struggle to get everthing your after for £200 or less from the UK unless you buy second hand everything. At least buying everything from HK it would have been new.

I've bought loads of r/c stuff from around the world without ever having an issue.

gainsy
24-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Have managed to find the lipo & charger for £120
Only leaves £80 for a combo
Anyone tried 1 of these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Etronix-Photon-1-10-Brushless-ESC-Motor-Combo-9-0R-/310320986636?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4840927a0c#ht_1514wt_1139

Darren Boyle
24-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Have managed to find the lipo & charger for £120
Only leaves £80 for a combo
Anyone tried 1 of these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Etronix-Photon-1-10-Brushless-ESC-Motor-Combo-9-0R-/310320986636?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4840927a0c#ht_1514wt_1139
Hi, I think it must have been you I spoke to earleir on the phone...

The new Etronix combos are dead cheap (£63) but not really up to proper racing, more for recreational and bashing. We have them in to look at if you wish, but probaly best looking at things like the Novak Combos etc which are better for racing and will be BRCA legal when you decide to do regionals etc.....

gainsy
24-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi mate
Yeah that was me earlier
Just trying to fit everything into the budget
Will come see what you guys got first before i make a decision, no point me buying something i wont be allowed to use at the regional's
Cheers for the heads up :thumbsup:
Going to do my order for the B44 in a minute, will pick the rest of the stuff when i come in

mattybucks
26-05-2011, 12:13 PM
You seem to have spent the majority of you budget on cells and a charger. I personally would have bought a £30 B6 charger and a £50 Intellect 60c Lipo (which is BRCA legal) and spent the other £120 on a Hobbywing 150amp ESC and decent motor.

I really think your only option now is either a 2nd esc and motor or a budget increase.

Darren Boyle
26-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Cany go far wrong with the CORE UDC40 charger and Vampire LIPO we spoke about to be honest, both UK sourced (locally) with good support and backing........

mattybucks
26-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Cany go far wrong with the CORE UDC40 charger and Vampire LIPO we spoke about to be honest, both UK sourced (locally) with good support and backing........

I don't doubt that, I'd use both products.

However the question asked was can I get a motor, esc, cells and a charger all for £200.

Having spent most of his budget on a charger and lipo it looks like poor Gainsy is going to be running a Speedmaster Silverstar and a Parma modified motor until he can afford a decent brushless speedo and motor that he won't to need replace to be competative.

Isn't the Core UDC40 essentially a B6 charger with a built in power supply?

Darren Boyle
26-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Isn't the Core UDC40 essentially a B6 charger with a built in power supply?

Pretty much, for under £50 (nearer £45) and UK sourced for warranty etc.... cant go wrong.

gainsy
26-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I was thinking along these lines
Intellect 60c Lipo & a Orion Advantage clubman lipo charger
Just can't fit everything in to the budget with the Vampire lipo's
Have already sorted the esc & motor for £100, have a Novak gtb esc with a team orion motor, second hand but a good buy i think :)

mattybucks
26-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I've not used the orion charger, but the CORE one that Darren has suggested is a good charger. It runs off 240v, and 12v i think.

Re the LIPO then you should be able to get one with you change from the charger.