PDA

View Full Version : Quick preparation guide for Griffeen Valley 2wd National

Legacy555
25-05-2011, 01:11 PM
With 10 days to the first 2wd national, I thought I'd stick up a few pointers to help the home & away clubman drivers get ready for the event.

This is not meant to be a definitive setup guide - just a little help to point you in the right direction.

1. Tyres
In all conditions: Front Schumacher Yellow minispikes
In wet conditions: rear Ballistic Buggy Green minispikes
In damp/drying conditions: rear Schumacher Green minispikes
In dry conditions: rear Schumcher Yellow minispikes
Tyres are available trackside from Mick Bolger

2. Transponders
Transponders are used as part of the lap counting system in each car. If you don't have a personal transponder, you can borrow one from the club for the day. A small hole will need to be bored in your body shell to mount the transponder.

3. Suspension
As each car is different, I won't go into individual setups. But generally speaking you should change your shock oil and check the shocks for damage before the event to save hassle on the day. Nearly all cars will have a thicker shock oil and harder spring on the front of the car in comparison to the rear.

4. Camber + Toe
If you dont have a camber guage or toe guage, try and borrow one or come and see me at the event. Your front wheels should both be pointing in the same direction (0 degrees toe) and the camber settings should be the same on each front and rear pair of wheels - generally I put 1 degree of negative camber on the front and rear of the car as a starting point. Checking and adjusting the camber and toe can transform the car and make it much more controlable.

5. Food
There is a McDonalds and a Superquinn shopping centre about 500m from the track. You should try and bring food with you in the morning, as there may not be time for a lunch break during the day. It sounds obvious, but food is really good for your concentration - so if you get hungry, you will crash more - so eat!!

6. Charging batteries
The DMCC will make 230v power available. It is the competitors responsibility to bring a suitable extension lead to reach from the main power point to your pitting area. A common household extension lead will be fine. You should arrive to the track with your batteries already charged as the time from setting up the pitting area to the start of practice may be too short.

7. Weather
We can't control the weather - but Griffeen Valley does seem to have its own micro-climate. It could be raining everywhere and sunny in Lucan! and Vice Versa - so come prepared.

8. Covered pitting and tables
There is two 3x4m tents setup for pitting. Hopefully we will squeeze everyone in. Please bring your own table though, as these are not provided.

9. Help
The top racers in the country will be at the event - so take the opportunity to ask the questions and seek the help. They will be more than happy to pass on good advice.

10. Best of luck
This season is the inaugaral 2wd clubman championship - I believe it's success will provide a foundation of racers for the sport's top level for years to come. Best of luck to all

Will

robbieb
26-05-2011, 12:25 PM
How much for the tires?

Legacy555
26-05-2011, 03:33 PM
How much for the tires?

Talk to Mick Bolger - not expensive though

MiCk B.
26-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Already got on to Robbie.

MiCk B. :-)

tony6187
26-05-2011, 04:14 PM
FOR THOSE WITH B4'S HERES A BASIC SETUP

FRONT SHOCKS

35 WT associated front shock oil
no 2 pistons
silver or blue springs
1 limiter in shock
middle on tower
outside on arm

rear shocks
30 weight oil
no1 piston
silver/green springs
1 limiter
middle on old shock tower(outside on b4.1)
outside on arm

hope this helps any questions fee free to ask

eda
01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Can I get confirmation of minimum weight for 2wd cars at RCCAOI Nationals please?

MiCk B.
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM
2wd limit, 1474g.

MiCk B. :-)