PDA

View Full Version : 12 hour endur ????

r1horn
30-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Hi all

Eney one Fancy doing an 12 hour endur in teams
This is a good way to raise money for the club,i have seen this in ather motor sport so lets do it with are buggys.
would have to clear it first with stev b and comittee first
Teams of 3/4/5 with 10 teams .
Say just an idear

THANKS

STUART

Deano577
31-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi all

This is a good way to raise money for the club,i have seen this in ather motor sport so lets do it with are buggys.
Say just an idear

THANKS

STUART
sounds good would be a laugh

maseace
31-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Could enter team usless adam, dean, james and craig with the moto as you said hit the orange rat ha ha

Deano577
31-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Could enter team usless adam, dean, james and craig with the moto as you said hit the orange rat ha ha

Sounds like a plan.. I will have to get some bigger batterys!!!!!
Have u sorted the couger sv out ?

SteveB
31-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi all

Say just an idear

THANKS

STUART

Guys

A fair idea and may be worth organising, maybe worth considering:

1. 6hrs 10am - 4pm
2. 6 - 8 teams of 6 - 8 team members
3. Mixed teams with good and not so good to break up any dominance
4. Trophies for all up to 6 teams members 1 to 3
5. ideally someone has 2 of the same pt numbers to share between all drivers
6. Teams must only Marshall their teams car!
7. Non stop running unless lunch is provided by someone
8. 50 quid entry a team
9. One with most laps and best time wins
10. Everyone has their turn, no one driver does all the driving, as much as I would like to
11. Teams to be dicided by race director once team entry has been submitted
12. Team captain must be chosen and control order of drivers
13. Prize for best single lap?
14. Schumacher controlled tyre if supported
15. Maybe a yearly trophy with engraved team name and team members names?
16. There must be a Team name

Lots to consider, I think a good idea but ideally a Particular weekend and some support with planning?

This is something I will help with but not totally facilitate offers would be required?

Thks Steve

maseace
31-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a plan.. I will have to get some bigger batterys!!!!!
Have u sorted the couger sv out ?

No not yet will do it friday, going to buy a cheap esc and motor for the rat as well, I will run that for fun a few times.

Looking foward to running the cougar this sunday.

Deano577
31-05-2011, 08:15 PM
No not yet will do it friday, going to buy a cheap esc and motor for the rat as well, I will run that for fun a few times.

Looking foward to running the cougar this sunday.

Cool I p m you c u then

Deano577
31-05-2011, 08:17 PM
That sounds spot on

hotrodchris
31-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Team Fandango!

6 boys from Clanfield did a similar thing last year it included fitting a flywheel and clutch, fitting the engine in the car, running it in and as many laps as possible in a set time period, i think driver change was every half an hour.

All engines were new and supplied as the clock started running.

jim76
31-05-2011, 08:44 PM
cracking idea, and i think Steve has some great ideas.

When i used to race years ago (1700 SCR and 13x2 motors!), we used to have an annual 5 hour race at a club in Ashford, Kent. It was the highlight of most racers year. This was back in the old manual lap counting days, so a pit stop was pull in to the rostrum and swap the velcro backed number from one car to the next!

If your club has hand out transponders, then these could be used. Either two of the same number for each team, or only one, forcing a "swap" of the transponder in a pit stop?

I'd certainly be keen to join a team. The problem with the 24 races is the wear on cars/equipment, hence the need to usually club together for a one-off chassis. But a 5-6 hour event with a team of 5 means only an hours running per car and only a few charges per pack of cells.

The Chef
31-05-2011, 08:53 PM
sounds like a hoot. I really enjoyed my visit on sunday thank you. Will you supply the friends? or would one need to bring a whole team?

SteveB
31-05-2011, 09:21 PM
sounds like a hoot. I really enjoyed my visit on sunday thank you. Will you supply the friends? or would one need to bring a whole team?

Basically, money up front I think to ensure participation, but I think a team application form and a single form to ensure we can link up the drivers?

Would be quite exciting if the teams were set up fairly and everyone has a chance, lots can happen over six hours, maybe some extra twists could be thought up and add some more value to the meeting? :)

r1horn
31-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Good feedback so far ,i am willing to help run the day if ok with stev.
put names in hat and pull names out for teams .
if you can think off was to spice thing up let us know like half way through the day stop and run the other way???????

Deano577
31-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Pit stop with wheel changes, i would pay In advanced

Randall34
31-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I guess driver stints would be the safe running time of your lipo before it cuts off, also any more than 20 mins and we would have fried esc and melted motors. Tyre changes and maintenance would be done within your downtime between stints.

If you have teams that are running the same chassis then you could have a common shell that gets transferred with a transponder attatched (although they probably won't last 6 hours without charging)

Randall34
31-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Dean - we should do a TORCH old boys team.......

super gripper
01-06-2011, 07:27 AM
I like the idea, sounds like a plan !

How about having teams made up of makes of car, for example there are enough rango's for a team plus schumachers

then Steve would be the Tamiya Stig ! :p oh and Mark. :p this idea sounds better and better............

Deano577
01-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Dean - we should do a TORCH old boys team.......

Sounds good, looks like this enduro is a go er
you could copy the le man format of 2 types of car
but are case drivers.
Which ever you decide it will be a bit of fun

racingben
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Sounds like fun!

Welcome to use my transponders for this if it helps. I have 2 full sets of handout amb 20 units.

maseace
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
well up for it, and making it competative at all standards will be a good thing so Steve would need to be in a team with craig for instance and work it like that.

Im not sure this is possible but also all having the same cars for each team running the race would mean it would fair, so setting a standard like a madrat with an 8.5 turn motor etc etc.

This means with the teams sorted out by standard and the cars the same it all down to the driver that look after the cars etc etc.

hotrodchris
01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Steve definately up for this and i expect a few more of the Rango crew from Clanfield will be as well, so can you look at both the Clanfield and Slough dates when you fix a date for this to happen.

r1horn
01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I think the best way to do things is for each driver to have there own car
and when you change drivers all you will have to do is put the transponder into the new car ,this means you team mates will have to do this making it more of a team event and if your car backs down a new diver cannot run untill your car is fixed and finish that lap ,say this are just idears

jim76
01-06-2011, 08:40 PM
i quite like the idea of of standard cars across the field, but then you run into the issue of the electrics, as no one will want their bits used and ruined, therefore pushing up the entry cost. I think these things are fine for the 24 hour races where the car will get truly hammered, but for a 6 hour team event where each car is going to only get an hour or so on the track i think it's fine to use your own cars.

Most racers will have reasonable kit these days, and if there are a handful of beginners with madrats etc then just ensure they are split evenly among the teams so they can get some decent guidance and level the field.

The main question is how to pick the teams. Some poeple will want to form their own teams and will be put off by the random "out of a hat" method. But if you want to try and ensure close racing across all teams then i think you will need to rank drivers in some sort of ability score (F rating would be good, but you do get a few bandit F5 drivers, *cough* SteveB at last years F3 finals!!).
These events are never much fun when you get some "factory" team of F1's turn up and wipe the floor with everyone.

r1horn
02-06-2011, 07:44 AM
yes if there are team with 5drivres with stev b skills do not want to get laped 500 time ,so i think names out of a hat or if stev b picks the teams is the best way to make it as fear as poss .
This is a fun event and a good way to get more money into the club so we can make TORCH even better
will have to sit down with stev b and find the best way to run it.if eney one has eney idears let us know and try to make it as much fun as poss

RobW
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Sure we can come up with some sort of driver ability scale that will allow us to sort teams into some sort of fair groupings - if the higher ability drivers have a higher score and your whole team cannot be above a certain total score then people can still be in teams with their mates but not make a team out of all superstars.

Need to try and keep rules as few and simple as possible because they will have to be fairly self-policing - if we are all in the same race, there won't be anyone to sit in race control and check people are complying with a long list of rules about marshalling or the length of driver stints.

How about:

One transponder per team
Teams of 5 cars/drivers - see above for ability sorting.
Marshall your own team car
Cars must enter track where the previous car left - ideally by the current start line but if car breaks down, need to enter where previous car left.
Don't race if you are going to take it seriously
Am speaking with Steve about possible dates and yes, we are taking into account Slough/Clanfield dates.

Rob

SteveB
02-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Ok, a date has been nominated, but would like to see some feedback, this will not clash with 1/8th Slough or Clanfield, so hoping to see a couple of teams from the 1/8th guys.

Key thing I will not allow a too many better drivers in on a team, so please start making your suggestions? Mix it up, remember a team with Phil Williams, Dan Brown, Mark Townsend, Jason Moggy, Simon Crabby and James Pickard for example, would be a white wash and this would be unfair to all other competitors.

I suggest Team Captains if willing :

Phil Williams - plus 5 - 7 selected team members
Dan Brown - as above
Mark Townsend
Rob Warren
Jason Moggy
Simon Crabby
James Pickard

or submitted teams by application and will be excepted if fair team.

If this is to become something, I would like to see more people speak up and make themselves known.

Steve

SteveB
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Sure we can come up with some sort of driver ability scale that will allow us to sort teams into some sort of fair groupings - if the higher ability drivers have a higher score and your whole team cannot be above a certain total score then people can still be in teams with their mates but not make a team out of all superstars.

Need to try and keep rules as few and simple as possible because they will have to be fairly self-policing - if we are all in the same race, there won't be anyone to sit in race control and check people are complying with a long list of rules about marshalling or the length of driver stints.

How about:

One transponder per team
Teams of 5 cars/drivers - see above for ability sorting.
Marshall your own team car
Cars must enter track where the previous car left - ideally by the current start line but if car breaks down, need to enter where previous car left.
Don't race if you are going to take it seriously
Am speaking with Steve about possible dates and yes, we are taking into account Slough/Clanfield dates.

Rob

Sorry Rob, did not realise you were on the case, cheers

hotrodchris
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Steve Rob will talk to the Clanners at Slough on Sunday and let you know the feedback from them!

r1horn
02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
I have been with Steve B today. We have been talking how to run the event. Teams will have a Team Captain, who will run the team as he sees fit and to make sure no rules are broken.

Will be making up a registration form for teams as soon as Steve has arranged a date. These forms will then be available.

If you are interested doing this event, please let Steve B know asap, as teams are limited. (will not all fit on rostrom)

This is a fun event with good trophys and will hopefully organise a food van for the day.

racingben
02-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Definitely interested in this. Only non clanfield date I cant do is the 10th July as I'm at Zandvoort.

I can also supply BMCR's fleet of mad rats for people who want a go. Got two slow brushed rtr's and a fast brushless rtr.

dibble34
02-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I would love to say 100% yes, but with a baby due soon i can't guarantee. I would of thought it should be ok though. :)

robelmes
02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
count me in :thumbsup:

martin so16
02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
is it going to be mixed classes in each team say you got 2 have 3 2wd and 3 4wd in each team ?

jim76
02-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Ok, a date has been nominated,

any chance of sharing the proposed date for feedback? I'm guessing it would have to avoid 10th nationals and mid south regionals too?

could i enter a schumacher south east team with me, Grant Williams, Dave Poulter, Nathan Ralls and Ross Williams?!!! lol
Just kidding, no idea if they would be up for it. :D

SteveB
02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
is it going to be mixed classes in each team say you got 2 have 3 2wd and 3 4wd in each team ?

Martin to be honest Rob got it right in his comments, lets not make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

Once all enough drivers have shouted there up for it, we can start making it happen and setting out a guide for racing my we will not lock down 2 and 4, u race what ever you have. There is not allot between the 2 anyway.

So far:

Rob E
Mart B
Steve B Jr
Stu Don
Steve B Sn
Dan B
Racing Ben
Dean
Adam
Chris
Dave O?
Dave M
Chef
Jim76
Rob W
Neil R
Lee D

17 so we will have 3 teams :thumbsup:

More will come :D

SteveB
02-06-2011, 08:43 PM
any chance of sharing the proposed date for feedback? I'm guessing it would have to avoid 10th nationals and mid south regionals too?

could i enter a schumacher south east team with me, Grant Williams, Dave Poulter, Nathan Ralls and Ross Williams?!!! lol

Being bit of a div with earlier post, we will be looking at the 4th September, but open to suggestions, maybe as late as October if people have more time in the calender.

SteveB
02-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Ross would be all the handicap the team would need :p

Sounds good, be great to get some real competitiveness between teams. Also maybe able to drum up a little more support from Schumacher?:)

jim76
02-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Ross would be all the handicap the team would need :p

Sounds good, be great to get some real competitiveness between teams. Also maybe able to drum up a little more support from Schumacher?:)

ouch! Ross will beat you when he sees you!

I obviously can't speak for Schumacher at all, i was just messing around with a biased hopefully fast team! But if you get a decent level of anticipated drivers and are running it as a control tyre on minispikes then it can't hurt to approach Schumacher. They may be able to help out in some way. Possibly make it an annual event!

the 4th Sept is the weekend of the regional finals/F2's
the 18th is the F3/4/5's
So may be better to push it back into Oct? But i don't know how that clashes with other local club events and RallyX

billyboy9002
02-06-2011, 09:42 PM
count me in

craig

The Chef
02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd love to come:thumbsup:

RobW
03-06-2011, 07:43 AM
ouch! Ross will beat you when he sees you!

I obviously can't speak for Schumacher at all, i was just messing around with a biased hopefully fast team! But if you get a decent level of anticipated drivers and are running it as a control tyre on minispikes then it can't hurt to approach Schumacher. They may be able to help out in some way. Possibly make it an annual event!

the 4th Sept is the weekend of the regional finals/F2's
the 18th is the F3/4/5's
So may be better to push it back into Oct? But i don't know how that clashes with other local club events and RallyX

Thanks for the info on dates, Jim.

Starting to look like we might need to slip into Oct when the calender is slightly less full.

25th Sept - Clanfield club series
2nd Oct - Remote club series
16th Oct - Remote club series
23th Oct - Clanfield club series
30th Oct - BRCA AGM (not sure how many people would be attending this)

So how does the 9th Oct sound to everyone? Really do not want it much later as likelihood of good weather is getting smaller.

Rob

SteveB
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info on dates, Jim.

Starting to look like we might need to slip into Oct when the calender is slightly less full.

25th Sept - Clanfield club series
2nd Oct - Remote club series
16th Oct - Remote club series
23th Oct - Clanfield club series
30th Oct - BRCA AGM (not sure how many people would be attending this)

So how does the 9th Oct sound to everyone? Really do not want it much later as likelihood of good weather is getting smaller.

Rob

Ok, the date looks to be the 9th October, looks to be a clear date from all other major meetings.

Thanks Rob for looking into dates, hopefully will see a great turn out:thumbsup:

racingben
03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
In the diary.

Hopefully will be able to field a bracklesham model car racers team.

dibble34
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
October is great, that should be fine :thumbsup:

MrMagoo
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Ooh, this sounds like a good wheeze. I'd be in for a bit of enduro action, we'd have to have a 'dash across the track' Le Mans style start though:lol:

I'm sure a fair number of Clanners will be up for it, I'll make sure everyone knows at Slough on Sunday.

r1horn
03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
This is looking very popular and now we have a date i would let stev or myself now if you are coming so you are not disappionted

Deano577
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm in and two others
may be set up a pay pal account so once u payed ur in
I would be more than happy to pay pal
let the racing begin!!

hotrodchris
04-06-2011, 12:31 AM
9th Oct looks like a date!
Count me in.

Crazy L
04-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a plan stan:thumbsup:

r1horn
04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
if you want to pay before to get a place i would get in tuch with stev b .
once we have fill all the teams that will be it

gwesty
04-06-2011, 10:35 AM
count me in too, will get a 2wd b4 then . cheers gw

Dudders
08-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I reckon SHRCCC could raise a team!.

Sounds exciting!

Dudders
08-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Perhaps you could make it a single make, maybe just use a cheap RTR model and a shop have a stock of all spares (motors/speedo's etc) and just use the one car per team?

maseace
08-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Just to make sure you count me(adam) and craig in will be a good day

The Chef
08-06-2011, 10:09 AM
i'M IN.:thumbsup:

RobW
08-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Perhaps you could make it a single make, maybe just use a cheap RTR model and a shop have a stock of all spares (motors/speedo's etc) and just use the one car per team?

Oh, I really like that idea - you can get a madrat RTR car for £100 on ebay so I am sure someone would do a deal on 6 or 8 of the things.

Cars get handed out an hour before the start of the race and you get that time to trim it out, glue a set of tyres on, drill a hole for transponder and change the battery connection if necessary. No other modifications allowed.

Winning team get one of the knackered cars each instead of a trophy:D

Be much more an endurance test as you'd have to drive carefully enough not to trash the car in the first hour.

Main negative would be that the entry fee would need to be fairly high to pay for the cars - probably about £20 each to cover car and a set of decent tyres. I guess this would put a lot of people off?? Plus would cars be stupidily slow?

Rob

Dudders
08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
RTR are quite quick, it's maybe something that a manufacturer might be keen on (or not!!!!) I'm sure people would stump up the cash as it would fun. At least if we all have the same car changing cells would be the same time for everyone, unless you had a mandatory 'pit stop' of 3 minutes.

jim76
08-06-2011, 08:26 PM
i do really like the idea of a level playing field car wise. the only issue that crops up for me is if the speedo blows up, what do you do? Do you let a team member put in their own speedo and risk losing that too, or does the team have to stump up for an exact spec replacement part to keep the car "standard"?
Also most RTR cars come with wheel radios, so what about those who want sticks? Can you swap over the radio gear - assuming the whole team use sticks?

racingben
08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I have a mad rat rtr.

You'd need to ball race them - £10

The brushless rtr is actually pretty fast, the servo however makes an acoms as7 seem fast!

You also have to spend a lot of time on the gearbox to free it up when ballracing it. The idler gear has to be filed down and some plastic taken off the gearbox to make it work well.

Next time Im down I could try the car on standard tyres to see what they're like.

As this is just a bit of fun I think mixed teams with own cars would be better. Take a look at the 24 hour thread for an example of the issues that using a spec car causes.

As mentioned above the less rules the better. Less rules =more fun!

MrMagoo
09-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Kit tyres in the Rat are a joke, no way you'd want to use them... although we could probably use them to handycap Mr Brown:lol:

RobW
09-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Ok, I think a one make/hand-out car race is probably a bit ambitious for our first enduro race. Cost is going to put a lot people off and it going to cause a lot more rules issues.

Probably more appropriate for national events.

Really fancy entering one of the 24 races one day though.....anyone else?

Rob

racingben
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
was very tempted by the Ardent 24hr this weekend. Only problem was that I'm working at brands hatch today - saturday so couldn't make it.

One that doesn't clash with a Caterham / Ginetta race weekend would be good!

racingben
09-06-2011, 01:22 PM
floodlights for TORCH :)

jim76
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
floodlights for TORCH :)

nah, strap some LED's to the car for that real 24hr feeling!!

jim76
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys
Any update on if this is going ahead? Final dates, team numbers etc?

SteveB
04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi Guys
Any update on if this is going ahead? Final dates, team numbers etc?

Hi,

We have a commitee meeting Friday and will confirm Saturday?

Key points:

1. Team Members per team 6 - 8
2. £10 entry fee all individual? tbc at this stage
3. 6 hours racing 9 - 10am start
4. Mixed 2 and 4wd allowed
5. Mixed teams of ability is required
6. Entry form to be produced after Friday meeting.
7. One PT number per team
8. All other details will follow confirmation of meeting.
9. Prizes or trophies?

If we can a some comments from people to confirm the interest and if any sponsorship for meeting? Raffle etc? Simon?

Thanks steve

Dudders
04-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Seems good but perhaps Mikey could go through the entrants lap times and 'pick' teams that are equal to make it fair?. Otherwise it would only need 2 or 3 top boys in a team of six to walk it.

The Chef
04-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Well up for this let us know.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

dibble34
04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
I am up for this, what about some sort of team entry fee that included a cheap car, eg mad monkey. RC lazy would make a killing on spares and no one would need to wreck there own car. Would still need electrics, but would make the field even. One thing i would add is i would want to choose who i race with not be put in a team. Can't imagine that is a big issue as not really one of the quick boys :blush:

The Chef
04-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I am up for this, what about some sort of team entry fee that included a cheap car, eg mad monkey. RC lazy would make a killing on spares and no one would need to wreck there own car. Would still need electrics, but would make the field even.

Top Idea. If you were to start earlier one could build the cars also.:woot:

dibble34
04-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Top Idea. If you were to start earlier one could build the cars also.:woot:

Yeah, think they are only £65 quid each or something and that's without any discount. Team of 6 paying what 15 - 20 each and the club still makes some money into the deal. Could raffle the cars off at the end of the day as well?

The Chef
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, think they are only £65 quid each or something and that's without any discount. Team of 6 paying what 15 - 20 each and the club still makes some money into the deal. Could raffle the cars off at the end of the day as well?

Might be worth putting a bearing kit in there also;)

wylie
04-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Likiing the idea of this
I would like to enter as a team not picked for a team.
Think the idea of Dibble's is great buy Mad Monkey's limit the amount of upgrades ie; just bearings and perhaps diffs just for durability everything else stock.
Pick your own ESC & motor, maybe have a motor limit 10.5turn max so as to minimise damage
One make tyres? not sure!!!
Teams of five.
Must always have a marshal on track assigned to a set position drawn from a hat to avoid any arguments, If missing from your marshalling point a ten lap penalty will be deducted (if possible with BBK)
Raffle the cars at the end of the day is good or retain them for newbies to use at slighty higher cost (with deposit) not sure if this would be practical, raffle is better. cars could be collected one week prior to the event to allow build time and all team members to inspect cars and setup.
I think this could be a good event for the club and members.
Make sure event is on my day off :D so i can attend.

jim76
04-09-2011, 09:07 PM
only probelm with a one car set up is who out of the 5-6 team members gets to donate the electrics and get them fried for 6 hours?! If you want to club together for electrics as well it makes it more of an expensive day. If all 6 team members run their own cars then each car track time is only 1 hour, so no more than a normal national/regional.
As much as i like the even car idea, i think it will put a lot more people of on cost grounds.

Steve - one question on the PT thing. Are you talking proper PT, or club hand out? I was just thinking if you have 20 club handouts that is 2 per team, so one in the car and one in the next car waiting in the chageover zone?
If you use PT, how do you propose to swap it between cars at change over? Not sure people will be happy plugging/unplugging the PT 30+ time in a day pulling on the wires etc?
just a thought

The Chef
04-09-2011, 09:10 PM
If it was £30 per head then I sure someone could sort out a cheap brushless combo's to fry. Still a cheap 12 hours racing.

The Chef
04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Ok, I think a one make/hand-out car race is probably a bit ambitious for our first enduro race. Cost is going to put a lot people off and it going to cause a lot more rules issues.

Probably more appropriate for national events.

Really fancy entering one of the 24 races one day though.....anyone else?

Rob

I'm going to try and organize a charity one.

jim76
05-09-2011, 01:51 PM
If it was £30 per head then I sure someone could sort out a cheap brushless combo's to fry. Still a cheap 12 hours racing.

i think £30 per head would put a fair few people off compared to £10 per head. Especially with high fuel costs to get there and tyres for the day etc.
And if the cheap combo you have blows in the first hour, again who donates their own kit?

Then you also have the issue of sticks vs wheel. If you have a team with half and half you can rule out the one car set up. Or you settle for driving in a team with out your friends, which again will put people off.

RobW
05-09-2011, 02:29 PM
only probelm with a one car set up is who out of the 5-6 team members gets to donate the electrics and get them fried for 6 hours?! If you want to club together for electrics as well it makes it more of an expensive day. If all 6 team members run their own cars then each car track time is only 1 hour, so no more than a normal national/regional.
As much as i like the even car idea, i think it will put a lot more people of on cost grounds.

Steve - one question on the PT thing. Are you talking proper PT, or club hand out? I was just thinking if you have 20 club handouts that is 2 per team, so one in the car and one in the next car waiting in the chageover zone?
If you use PT, how do you propose to swap it between cars at change over? Not sure people will be happy plugging/unplugging the PT 30+ time in a day pulling on the wires etc?
just a thought

I think Jim lays out the reasons here why for a first stab at a team event I am expecting the decision to be to go down the route of each using own our cars. We could probably get a meeting running along these lines in Oct before it gets too cold.

Not sure about the transponder issue - even if we could get hold of enough handout transponders, do they last 6 hours without a charge? Would not personally want to be yanking a personal transponder in and out of my receiver in a hurry several times.

Rob

Chris-S
05-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I think Jim lays out the reasons here why for a first stab at a team event I am expecting the decision to be to go down the route of each using own our cars. We could probably get a meeting running along these lines in Oct before it gets too cold.

Not sure about the transponder issue - even if we could get hold of enough handout transponders, do they last 6 hours without a charge? Would not personally want to be yanking a personal transponder in and out of my receiver in a hurry several times.

Rob

Each team nominates one transponder, this has to be swapped in the pit stop. Use a servo extension lead to avoid unplugging from the reciever)

jim76
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Even with a servo lead you are still pulling on the transponder wire each time. Maybe if the club had 20 hand outs, you can have one in the car (to be swapped over in pit stop) and one on the charge rack? I don't own a PT, so it doesn't bother me. But if I'd spent 60 quid + on one I'm not sure i'd want it yanked around all day?

Dudders
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh it's oh so simple!!

Why have PT's just manual count as they go past.... Put a spare Marshall there to call out... Not like we'll be going for lap records is it???

jim76
05-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh it's oh so simple!!

Why have PT's just manual count as they go past.... Put a spare Marshall there to call out... Not like we'll be going for lap records is it???

:lol::lol::thumbsup:

Dudders
05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Old skool rocks!

Let's not allow tech to ruin what could be FUN :woot:

The Chef
05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
How many racers will the bbk software allow you to put in one race?

Dudders
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The Chef
06-09-2011, 09:34 AM
So why couldn't every one use their own transponders and do the math at the end?

RobW
06-09-2011, 10:36 AM
So why couldn't every one use their own transponders and do the math at the end?

Seems an excellent option if it will work - maybe we can do a rough add through half way through just to give an idea of positions. I’ll speak to Mike and see if there is any way we can test it. Maybe set it up during a practise session?

Alternatively we can run with manual counting but as with most manual systems it takes more manpower. If we get 6 teams, then each team would need to cover manual counting in race control for an hour – someone has to push the buttons. If we also need a caller, then that is 2 hours per team out of their team of 6 on top of their marshalling commitments. It’s do-able but we’d have to make it clear up front that everyone would be expected to do their stint – it would be maybe 10 mins pushing buttons and 10 mins calling.

Based on what Steve put above, I’d suggest we are looking at something like:

Team of six using own cars (2WD or 4WD)
6 hour race – 10.00am to 4.00pm – no breaks.
Lap counting – 2 options above.
Each team to man one marshalling post for duration of race – going to have to be a bit if trust/sportsmanship here because there is not going to be anyone sat in race control monitoring.
This is a fun event – if you are going to take it seriously don’t race.

Can we get it simpler than that?

In terms of trying to make fairish teams, how about grading everyone based on most laps ever achieved based on class (2 or 4WD). So if you have previously managed a 10 lapper in 2WD and are running 2WD you are “worth” 10 points to your team. Total team points not to exceed say 64 so if you want Steve B with a 4WD (12 points) in your team you are going to also have a couple of less experienced drivers as well to compensate. It also gets round the issue of 4WD cars being slightly quicker as your points value is based on the class you will be running. Anyone who have not raced at Torch before, we’ll estimate and trust you. I appreciate it is not a perfect system as a quick 10 is different to a slow 10 but it just suppose to be a rough grading.

Make your own team up with your mates and we can set some sort of “dating agency” going on here for billy-no-mates like me to find a team.

Comments/suggestions please so we can finalise something on Friday

Cheers

Rob

The Chef
06-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Could the system not be set in championship mode and do the organizing as it goes?

Or is it possible to enter more than 1 transponder number per entrant? So for example team 1 then give it 6 transponder numbers under 1 name?

http://www.mylaps.com/textimage/shadowBoxBigDark/h3/Results%2520processing%2520with%2520championship%2 520standings.gif

In the Result Processing Screen you have several options for merging results of races to generate the lineup for semi-final or main events. It is also possible to add your own logos to the customizable print templates which have adjustable columns and font sizes and can be exported to text files. In the Championship Screen you can make the Championship standings for all of your race classes. If necessary you can add, delete or edit events from the Championship. All the results of the events, merges and championship standings can be uploaded to MYLAPS.com in just a few clicks of the button using a standard internet connection.

RobW
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Could the system not be set in championship mode and do the organizing as it goes?

Or is it possible to enter more than 1 transponder number per entrant? So for example team 1 then give it 6 transponder numbers under 1 name?

http://www.mylaps.com/textimage/shadowBoxBigDark/h3/Results%2520processing%2520with%2520championship%2 520standings.gif

In the Result Processing Screen you have several options for merging results of races to generate the lineup for semi-final or main events. It is also possible to add your own logos to the customizable print templates which have adjustable columns and font sizes and can be exported to text files. In the Championship Screen you can make the Championship standings for all of your race classes. If necessary you can add, delete or edit events from the Championship. All the results of the events, merges and championship standings can be uploaded to MYLAPS.com in just a few clicks of the button using a standard internet connection.

Be great if it can - need someone which some knowledge of the club's lap counting system to comment. Would need to pick out each member of the team's individual lap scores, group them together and do this during the race?

Rob

jim76
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
what about those with no PT?!
asuming there aren;t too many of us i guess we coud have a hand out to ourselves for the day and just make sure they are charged up regularly?

Robbiejuk
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Assuming you have a decent battery in your transponder they will easily last six hours. I have taken out the transponders 24 hours after a club night and most of them are still flashing green.

BBK has a setting in it to allow you to assign multiple transponders to a team especially for endurance racing so you should be ok with your plan to use multiple transponders per team but I reckon you could just get away with using the one and whack the other handout in as a backup just incase it fails or starts flashing red.

I got excited when I read about you lot doing an endurance race. I am a big fan of endurance racing and myself and our team (Team shambles) have taken part and completed two 24 hour races, One in Belgium and one at York. I personally can't wait till the next EBOR at york because it was excellent fun and the challenge of getting one car to last a full event is brilliant.

Wheels and sticks? When running one car is quite easy to get round, just stick two receivers in the car and swap the plugs over, if you sort out a driving order so the wheel guys and the stick guys are driving after each other then swapping of plugs is minimised.

With regards to electrics well we have used the same speed controller and motor in both 24 hour races, neither were new when we first did one of these events and they are both still going today. In fact the 10.5 motor was used at the F2's last weekend and is still as strong as the day I brought it. I would advise using a connector and a adaptor to make sure you cannot conenct batteries up the wrong way.

Word of advice to race control, keep an eye on your spare transponder, we do a endurance race at our club every year, which nobody takes particularily seriously, One year out team had had a few failiures that put us back about twenty laps to the leaders, so one of snuck into race control, snaffled the second transponder and we stuck it into a spare car and whacked it on track, making sure that the car was circulating 10 seconds apart from the main car we soon made up the defecit :lol: We got told off an penalised but it was bloddy funny watching the team of club hotshots trying to work out how we had got five laps in front of them in under 10 minutes.

Look forward to hearing more about this event.

hotrodchris
06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
still looks like a fun day looking forward to it.
One other point could be that the team marshal only marshal's their own team car?:woot:

The Chef
06-09-2011, 05:35 PM
There would be people running in all directions.:confused:

hotrodchris
06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Yup first few runs might be fun but would also slow some people down to stop them crashing when their other team members get on their back when they are constantly chasing around the track turning them over!

jim76
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
still looks like a fun day looking forward to it.
One other point could be that the team marshal only marshal's their own team car?:woot:

That is normally standard practice in endurance events as other teams won't marshal you"fairly and promptly!"

Good call on the 2 receiver idea, never come across that. Probably rules out the tighter chassis on the market though!

Deano577
06-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Looks like it's all getting a bit technical any one would think it's le man 24 lol
keep it simples and cost effective. Count team useless in

The Chef
06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
That is normally standard practice in endurance events as other teams won't marshal you"fairly and promptly!"

Good call on the 2 receiver idea, never come across that. Probably rules out the tighter chassis on the market though!

OMG my legs will be F£$%£@ by the end of the day:cry:

Dudders
06-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Sod your legs!, I might put a hair out!

The Chef
06-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Sod your legs!, I might put a hair out!

Start as you mean to go on:p:p:p

ASKay
06-09-2011, 07:41 PM

What language is the software programmed in, and does anyone know what form the signal to the pc is in (I assume it is the transponder number), it should be a fairly straight forward bit of code to write to count an input signal and group transponder numbers as a accumulative....

If anyone knows what it is written in, then I maybe able to find a programmer who would write something to do this....

maybe able to do it as an executable in labview, in which case I could have ago...

The Chef
06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
What language is the software programmed in, and does anyone know what form the signal to the pc is in (I assume it is the transponder number), it should be a fairly straight forward bit of code to write to count an input signal and group transponder numbers as a accumulative....

If anyone knows what it is written in, then I maybe able to find a programmer who would write something to do this....

maybe able to do it as an executable in labview, in which case I could have ago...

Er yeah what he said.:thumbsup: If you can do that it would be great.

ASKay
07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I was trying to find out about the BKK software, and also the AMBrc (I assume this is the one you have) and came accross a peice of software called alycat 9.2, this has apparently alot of endurance race features....still cannot find out much information about what is being sent over the serial port.

The Chef
07-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Would it be worth a phone call to Rob at BBK?

ASKay
07-09-2011, 07:48 PM
well (i don't know him) but it might be really easy for him to add this feature????? it may help bkk especially if team events are taking off..... certainly be easier than trying to work out what everything is doing....

Robbiejuk
07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
It's alread in BBK as I said before, all you have to do is take the teams transponders and add them into a group.

I can do a detailed explanation if you want. Who is your computer man at torch?

The Chef
07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I thought It would be clever enough. I think it is Steve Brown who does the computer but I could be wrong.

The Chef
07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Do we have a date for this or am I being blind.?

jim76
07-09-2011, 09:54 PM
to be confirmed at Fridays meeting i think Steve said.

The Chef
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Can't wait. Ho often does the track change at torch i've not been coming long enough to know.

ASKay
08-09-2011, 05:56 AM
It's alread in BBK as I said before, all you have to do is take the teams transponders and add them into a group.

I can do a detailed explanation if you want. Who is your computer man at torch?

Top stuff, resolved :)

I am sure that was not there when i read the string before.... i think i am going bonkers :)

The Chef
08-09-2011, 07:18 AM
So for those with out a transponder you could enter 7 numbers for a 6 man team if there were 1 person with out a transponder and there could be 1 handout transponder in charging rotation.

simoncrabb
08-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Whatever you all figure out, rcLazy will enter a team! :thumbsup:

rob8246
08-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a cool idea :thumbsup:

Whats with the transponder/PT debate??

Create new meeting with team names entered, PT number for each team and 6 hour duration.

Each team uses one car, one PT job done. That's normally how these things work simples.

hotrodchris
08-09-2011, 04:51 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:Can't wait. Ho often does the track change at torch i've not been coming long enough to know.

Whenever it takes Martin's fancy! lol

mikeyscott
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Was going to speak to Rob at BBK re creating a team with a "bank" of transponders etc.