PDA

View Full Version : air bottle as compressor for cleaning cars?

dave g
03-06-2011, 10:52 AM
was having a think about his a few weeks back and discussed it on another forum but thought i would ask here incase anyone else has done it,the more advice the better.

can you use a diving bottle/airtank/paintball tank etc to clean your cars with like we do with compressors with the nozzle on the end?

how big would you need it and what sort of regulator/nozzle on the end etc?

we have a diving shop in town where i could get bottle refilled but not sure on what i would need in the first place and the psi etc

there are plenty of tanks on ebay that are used for paintballing and powering beerkegs and diving bottles but i dont know whats needed.

Wynney
03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Defiantly, we use dive borked at work to power wheel guns, an air jacks. Can get a lot more pressure than a compressor. To the tune of about 20 to 30 bar! A dive bottle would last ages in an air blow application. However the regulator could be quite pricey so could be a false economy over a cheap compressor. Also its hard to get dry air in the bottle, at a dive shop they'll fill with rich air.

I don't know it it applies but we have our doing bottles certified every 12 months

wacattack
03-06-2011, 11:22 AM
How about a bike footpump? :thumbsup:

MatJohnson
03-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Or a can of air

barnyard
03-06-2011, 04:32 PM
it would be cheaper to just get a compressor.

most cylinders are rented at a cost of about £50/yr for a 10ltr cylinder, you could buy the cylinder but then you become responsible for the testing which unless you have the facilities is often more expensive than renting.

refills for synthetic air is relatively cheep as you dont require calibration certification

regulators are a bit of a kiler normally £100+ think the ones i have at work are in the region of £800 each then once again testing on top

you would also need to look into car insurance as some companies wouldn't cover you others just place restrictions on the size and how they should be transported, hence the reason i can only carry 2ltr cylinders for work in the car but can carry 20ltr cylinders if i use the van.

dave g
03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
same could be said for transporting nitro fuel to and from meetings ian :)

but i only want if for home anyways

barnyard
03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
very true for home i'd just get a compressor much easier

Paulnuneaton
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
word of advice about a dive bottle it has to have a test certificate i used to shoot and we used dive bottles for filling the air rifles and we needed to have them tested as they can go off like a bomb so i would say get a compressor much cheaper and not so much danger to other racers unless they fall over it:lol:

SlowOne
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Why do you guys use an air gun to clean cars? My experience is that it blows crap into the electronics and the bearings, so I stopped using one. Just interested...

MRD
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Ive been using the compressor for years and not had any issues. I'm carefull not to force dirt into the bearing but the rest is fine. I'll be taking my small compressor to our regional :thumbsup:

dave g
04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
obviously you dont race nitro on dirt slowone :)