PDA

View Full Version : Gluing carbon fibre bits

Naushad
04-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi

Is there a good way of gluing carbon fibre sheets. I have some shock towers and I can see he layers separating from the edge. Otherwise they are usable.

I don't want to dispose of them so any advice would be useful.

MiCk B.
04-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey,

There's a good guide here (http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16&mode=&order=0&thold=0)on the CRC site.

MiCk B. :-)

SlowOne
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
If the edges are open, like looking down fanned pack of cards, then it's repairable. If it's in any way twisted then you look down on it, or if the shock tower is 'bent', then the fibres are broken and it's not worth the time and effort.

You'll need the medium superglue and a vice. Carefully separate the edges you can see so that the glue can run right down to the 'good' resin. Make the glue run down the open edges, plenty of it, and then wipe the excess away. Put the part in the vice and squeeze tight until all the open edges are closed up. Leave it like that for up to three or four hours. Remove from the vice, and clean off any excess glue. Sand down the edge, and then run superglue over it (like the CRC guide) and leave to dry.

I am sure you can see the obvious pitfalls (like gluing the the tower into the vice!) and will find some way with your tools to make sure the worst doesn't happen. I've successfully repaired the front of 12th chassis like this, and they've lasted ages. HTH :)