PDA

View Full Version : please help lost oldboy brushless + esc's

oldboy
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
having not raced 1/10 buggys for many many years i was suprised and pleased when my younger son showed an interest so we have bought him a second hand b4.1 but then when delving deeper into the world of brushless i find that i am in totally over my head, could someone please explain what i should be looking for in a esc and a motor i have looked on ebay at the ezrun combos and the only bit of advice i have had is to go for a 60a one but there is so many other varients like number of turns for the motor, sensored or non sensored etc that i am totally lost. also when out with my losi with a older 40 hz transmitter the range seemed substantially further than my sons newer 2.4 ghz controller what sort of range should my son be getting. sorry for rambling on but if someone out ther could help i would be most grateful.

deano261
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm new to the brushless scene but i think 60a is pretty much the norm but you definitely want a sensored motor as the ESC can easily detect where the motor whereas a sensorless one it has to kind of guess and so you may get some slip in the motor. You can get a decent combo from Roundabout Toys for £115 and that is a 6.5T or a 10.5T. On the Turns the lower the number the quicker it will be and the X.5t and X turns is all down to the internal can size nothing you really have to worry about.

oldboy
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
thanks for the advice still a bit confused about the kv ratings on the motors though

RogerM
09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
kV ratings just give you an indication of how fast the motor will spin, it's basically RPM/Volt but due to the way a brushless motor works it's a bit more involved than that.

For simplicity a larger kV value will be faster top end, a high WATT value will be more overall power.

For a beginer a 10.5 or under 3000kV will be ample.

jmke
09-06-2011, 08:40 AM
definitely don't put a 5T in a 2WD car... :D
(or in a 4WD car which doesn't have a slipper :p, DF-02 with 5T is wicked fast, but only in a straight line)

oldboy
14-06-2011, 04:26 PM
thanks for the advice i am starting to see the wood now:thumbsup: