PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy LiPo's?

Dudders
08-06-2011, 08:04 PM
So I have a Reedy LiPo that's been charging and working fine until now.

When I balance charge it comes up with a balance error, all other cells are OK to charge.

Does this mean the LiPo is fubarbed or maybe just the 'balance' part.

Obviously I dont know much about this subject! :cry:

Neil

ch!3f
08-06-2011, 08:32 PM
i would check the lipo balance lead to see if it has snapped off inside that will be the case more then likely,have you got a voltmeter to check each cell?

Bigbaddave
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Does it charge ok when not balance charging?

Dudders
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Not had the balls to try it!. When it faulted twice I put it outside and hid under the bed!

Dazzler
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
You could charge each half as a 1s lipo, when both halves have charged individually, it will also be balanced.

damselfly
10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
A one off charge that's not balanced will be fine.
It's when it's done regularly that you're likely to see any problems.
Some chargers, i've been led to believe, wont commence charge if one of the cells reads lower than a certain voltage.

emtee
10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I had a conversation with demon power's owner ages ago on the same subject... I had a 5k/20c demon lipo that had a broken balance lead... (and another 1 since..) he said "charge it without the balance lead connected and it will be fine"... he mentioned that "they"(demon) had charged their cells many many times during initial trials without any real-time discernable loss of performance or any compromise to safety... so there you go... I would add however to make sure the broken parts of the balance leads don't touch tho'... Only 1 core had broken on both of mine so I seperated the 3 cores and sealed 'em in silicone... I'm still using both of them even today..!