PDA

View Full Version : TRF 501 worlds edition...?

werner1619
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Please enlighten me, what is the difference between the TRF 501 worlds edition and the stock TRF 501, except the price of course...?:confused:

And as a personal preference, what would you rather get instead of the TRF 501..?

I can't seem to make up my mind, all the top kits look good !:eh?:

W.

jimmy
08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
The worlds lists most / all the improvements on the Tamiya website. But mainly they are the bigger belts & pulleys, alloy hubs front and rear, updated body shell for brushless systems, hard ball studs... and some other things.

werner1619
08-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Jimmy,

give me your top pick of all the 4wd buggies...?

footey
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
not sure if its his pick as in best but jimmy runns the 501x so must say somthing:D

jimmy
08-01-2008, 06:02 PM
haha, there are lots of things which go to make up someones 'best' buggy - most of which is subject to what they want and like. For ME the 501X fits that very well - easy to work on, handles great & easy to drive, very strong, easy to understand the setups..
It's got drawbacks like the lack of support (here in the UK), hard to find parts, open drivetrain, all that stuff. Still, all buggies have good and bad points, and the 501X is just the one I choose.

There are plenty of other cars I'd be happy to run, but I'm running the Tamiya since it ticks lots of my boxes - AND it's a Tamiya, which I like! :)
I have 2 501X's and tons of spares, so I'll be running the 501X for a while yet.

AaronR
09-01-2008, 12:22 AM
I have 2 501X's and tons of spares, so I'll be running the 501X for a while yet.

Two? You have two as in 2? TWO?!!! :o:D

Colinevan
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Just an update. my worlds spec one shall be arriving this week and i'll have her built for racing indoors this weekend at the indoor finals. Although its indoor, im going to build her up and use the same setup that i have my old car on, and may even use the same baldish mini pins to do a direct comparison of the cars.
Im aware that the front alloy hub blocks are supposedly inferior to the plastic versions in terms of handling, but will none the less run as kit and if i get chance will experiment with various nigglies to see how they compare.

Im very interested in the one way with the same size pulleys front and rear to compare but i dont have the adaptor as yet so will leave that for another time. Imho i regularly play about with the 1 way and often change in between rounds just to compare and have only found marginal difference in indoor running. I have found with the 1 way i have more turn in at speed and obviosly less brakes and so have to alter that way i drive slightly. With outddor running the car seems more twitchy ( although not too bad and has a more tedndancy to want to grip roll on certain parts of track where adverse camber is present ).

I'll keep everyone posted on how the new car gets on.

Col.

jimmy
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I found with the pulleys, that the overdrive (smaller front) was better on looser tracks- On high grip you might not even notice, but it was just easier to drive on the loose stuff.

Chris
17-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to run a 37T pulley in front?

I noticed that the belt is not long enough...

sosidge
17-01-2008, 11:27 AM
To run the 37T tooth pulleys you also need to be running the 18T centre pulleys and the 369mm belts.

Chris
17-01-2008, 12:15 PM
To run the 37T tooth pulleys you also need to be running the 18T centre pulleys and the 369mm belts.

No, the belt is too short.

Any ideas?

AaronR
17-01-2008, 12:26 PM
No, the belt is too short.

Any ideas?

You may have the incorrect belt. Compare your part numbers with Jimmy's listed numbers in here... http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/cars/501x/bigbelts/

Chris
17-01-2008, 12:36 PM
You may have the incorrect belt. Compare your part numbers with Jimmy's listed numbers in here... http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/cars/501x/bigbelts/

I use 18T/36T (369 belt) without problem in front. When using a 37T it was too tight. I will try another belt this evening. Maybe a production error...

Alan1467
17-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm running a 37T in the front with 369mm belts and the belt is no where near tight. I think i had to back of the cams 3 or 4 but that's all

Alan