PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting advice

Newbie1969
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi al

It has been a while since I used RC cars and I am thinking about getting back into it. I have heard about the DEX410 and was wondering whether this would be a good car to get back into 4wd racing. I was also told that 'Captainlip' was the best person to ask for advice on the car and setup for possibly racing at club level. If Captainlip does read this, as I cannot find him on here, please could you pass on some of your knowledge so that I can make an educated decision on this car. I did think about the 22 but some guys at Ribble said to speak to Captainlip as he is very knowledgeable on the DEX410.

I have a smallish budget so want to be able to start up first time with a reliable car without spending lots of additional extras.

Thanks

leeboy44
12-06-2011, 10:24 PM
this should be fun haha

i think the boys that you have been talking to are taking the pi** :lol:

durangos are fab cars i really like mine even tho im trying to sell it, i was thinking of going to the tamiya 511 but for now im sticking with the durango till it sells

great cars and parts are on the shelf

will take some setting up tho there pigs to start with loads of steering

thats my say anyway

lets wait for lips say

Newbie1969
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
this should be fun haha

i think the boys that you have been talking to are taking the pi** :lol:

wow, I am impressed with the quick response, thanks How do you mean, should I not be looking at the 410 for a newbie? How would they be taking the pi**?

coleman758
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Captainlip is the resident "Banter Maker" :)

He's a great guy! Just don't as him about wheel nuts or diffs lmao!

The 410 is a great bit of kit. I would I think its a little complex for someone with no experiannce but that's just me.

leeboy44
12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
the 410 is a hell of a car mate (well i and alot of others think so) but captinlip seems to be 1 of about 3 where the wheel nuts fall off

we try and help but its the way he starts the threads winds a lot of us up

he also put durangos cant make diffs for shit thread, spent £££ buying diffs slagged durango off and alot of others and it turns out to have been his fault all along

i would do abit of reading on the durango part of the forum ask questions if your unsure but be nice and we will help as much as we can

be like lip and they delete the thread

i have a lovely durango for sale with as many spares as you will ever need ;)

sime46
12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Captainlip is not what youve been led to believe my friend. He's on here a fair bit but not an "expert" in the traditional sense of the word. Best man on here for durango questions and answers is probably Adam Skelding. Hes Durangos race team manager and works full time for the brand. The 410 is a brilliant car. Thoroughly focused racing car. Great to work on and very tough. Lots of advice and info on here and on team Durango's own website. Great brand and very helpfull/approachable team. Best advise I have is find someone locally with one and ask the driver their thoughts and maybe have a go with it (if your confident it wont end badly).lol. Hope this helps.

Newbie1969
13-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone that has responded with some advice. Am I right in thinking that this Captainlip does not know what he is talking about when it comes to the 410? Also, are all the issues that people are telling me about his car all created by his own doing? This does worry me a little!!

Surely the car, when bought in kit form, should be easy to build? Are the diffs that difficult to build? Is he the only one that has the issues with a wheel nut coming off all the time?

Is it the car that is causing these issues or is it just his car? I was lead to believe that he was the knowledge when it came down to the 410? Is this not the case? If not, then who is this guy? Does he was at regional/national level?

Sorry to sound negative but have I been led up the garden path a little?

Chris Doughty
13-06-2011, 11:34 AM
there are plenty of 'official' guides and tips on the Team Durango website

take a look through all of these
http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?cat=3
even the ones that are for the DNX408 are still worth a read as it describes good practise on things to do when building things in general

specifically for the DEX410, look at these ones
http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=3193
and
http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=2584