PDA

View Full Version : Wobble in outdrives

Piman
19-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Does anyone elses outdrives wobble much in their diff or is this a sign I need to check my bearings, gears or clips in the diff?

James

AndyG
19-06-2011, 06:08 PM
they all wobble a bit. TD have aparently just release some new diff washers (TD709001) which are a bit thicker than the previous ones, thereby reducing the wobble a tad.

The new washers are silver, the old ones black... same part number.

If you want to know how to get the pesky outdrive out of the diff casing I have a natty trick - get a wine bottle, put it outdrive down into the wine bottle, then using a hex driver and a heavy thing, firmly tap on the outdrive end that you can see in the diff case. You will bend the e-clip and the washer in the process, but it's quick and reliable & nothing else gets damaged.

You also get an excuse to drink the wine too. :thumbsup:

Big G
19-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I soaked mine in wd40 and left it upside down and after a few hours the gear had fallen off on it's own :)

AndyG
19-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I had more fun though :drool:

JosephShanks
19-06-2011, 07:29 PM
they all wobble a bit. TD have aparently just release some new diff washers (TD709001) which are a bit thicker than the previous ones, thereby reducing the wobble a tad.

The new washers are silver, the old ones black... same part number.

If you want to know how to get the pesky outdrive out of the diff casing I have a natty trick - get a wine bottle, put it outdrive down into the wine bottle, then using a hex driver and a heavy thing, firmly tap on the outdrive end that you can see in the diff case. You will bend the e-clip and the washer in the process, but it's quick and reliable & nothing else gets damaged.

You also get an excuse to drink the wine too. :thumbsup:
Now I'm all sorts of confused. lol. My 4 month old 410r came with silver washers. I ordered some new ones a few weeks ago and they were silver as well. The current one shown on amain are black....Maybe it's an old picture and the silver one's aren't as new as you think? :confused:

Piman
20-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks Guys, I will try the new washers.

Never actually had any difficulties stripping a diff. Just remove the circlip turn upsidedown and leave. Gravity and time do a great job of getting the gear out. :D

James

RC John
20-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Piman, are your outdrives on both sides wobbling?
I noticed I have a lot more wobble on the side with the plastic diff case. When I took the outdrives out, I saw the hole in the plastic case that the outdrives sit in were quite worn and had some play. So I replaced the plastic case and the wobble was reduced back to like when it was new.
On the other side, the outdrive sits in the metal diff ring gear. There was almost no wear there so my outdrive didn't wobble too much.

jkclifford
20-06-2011, 04:53 PM
File the hex on the outdrive so the gear is easy to slide on and off and rebuilds are a piece of p##s!

Andyp
20-06-2011, 05:31 PM
File the hex on the outdrive so the gear is easy to slide on and off and rebuilds are a piece of p##s!

+1 for sanding/ filing the hex , mine just fall off too !

my out drives wobble too, they have done all the time i have had the car (over a year) it never caused a problem to me! is it causing a problem with them wobbleing ?