PDA

View Full Version : Wires for electronics

Bayareabasher
20-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Can I use the roll of 12 gauge wire that you buy from radio shack for my electronics?

Whiskers
20-06-2011, 07:21 AM
12 gauge wire is the best to use for rc electronics.

JosephShanks
20-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Can I use the roll of 12 gauge wire that you buy from radio shack for my electronics?

Depends on how fine the individual strands are and how flexible the wire is overall. A stiff wire tends to put positive pressure on your speedo wich helps pull it off your servo tape in time. Wire that is not full of fine strands does not carry current as well. Just a couple thoughts for you to factor in.:drool:

ian h
20-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I just changed mine from 12 to 14 gauge and it made wiring so much easier and neater. I'm using SP V3 motors and found that the space between servo and motor was a bit tight for 12 gauge. After running yesterday I didn't notice any power loss due to the thinner gauge wire.

discothesnake
20-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I was going to ask the same question about wiring. I use 14 on my 2wd but was'nt sure about the 4wd. Would 14 take the load okay?

Dave

JohnM
20-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure my motor wires are 14g, never had a problem with them running a 5.5, plus it made it easier to get them to go where I wanted.

Also, if you look at Tom Cockeril's CAT SX3 set up, it doesn't look like he is using super think wires either.

JosephShanks
20-06-2011, 03:28 PM
14g seems to be the general standard on this side of the ocean.:)

Big G
20-06-2011, 03:44 PM
when i 1st rewired my durango I put mega short wires on all of an inch long which was great and tidy, but when it came to changing the motor it pulled on the speedo and eventually the speedo became unstuck. also with the speedo terminals parallel with the motor there was always the risk of a short even with electrical tape on the side of the can

I then turned the speedo 90 degrees so the terminals were up by the spur and ran 2 inch or so 14ga wire which gave a lot more flex when changing the motor or moving the motor during pinion changes. My wiring is now mega tidy and no where near the driveshaft down the middle.