PDA

View Full Version : First paint job in 12 years!!

GPS1
12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I know it's not perfect and I know it's got some mistakes on it!
But this is the first paint job I've done in 12 years!!!
Never used chrome before and these new fascolors are hard work!!
Still getting used to the new airbrush/compressor too! But I think the signs are good!!
Next, a new shell for the BJ4!!
Watch this space :)

Lee
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Looking good, nice fades and nice sharp crisp lines, very good effort

telboy
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
good job, for your first in 12 years.

Not sure about using the chrome on large areas though. Make sure you get some faskoat or nitro block on there to help keep the water off it.

:)

LEGEND
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
That looks awsome.:cool:

jonmiller
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
good job for 12 years absence mate
:D

GPS1
12-01-2008, 11:01 PM
What's Faskoat or Nitro block then boy's?!!

bigred5765
12-01-2008, 11:51 PM
its like a clear laquer or sealer to stop stuff attacking the faskolor

Mike Hudson
13-01-2008, 12:04 AM
That is really good for 12 year off the job! i can't even do a paint job as good as that yet, in practise though :)

telboy
13-01-2008, 12:12 AM
yep, as bigred said.
In the 'old days' we all used solvent paints that didn't wash off when it got soaked. But nowadays, the acrylics will get attacked even by water. But for some reason, even though the chrome is solvent based, it still gets affected by moisture. I think its because it doesn't actually 'eat' into the polycarb' so it isn't secure to the shell as such. But thats how it gets it effect of the mirror finish.

blitzboy
13-01-2008, 07:30 PM
nice job for 12 years absence will be interested to see the bj 4 when your done and your not wrong about the paint tel those were the days AAAAAHHHH i just realise im gettin old HeeeeeeeeeeLLLLLLLLppppppppp,,, keep on painting guys Theres plenty of rubbin in racin and plenty of shell to do as u all well know telboy (berried alive in shells is ur tel):D:D

GPS1
14-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Right then, I better get some Faskoat!!
I have finished the paint job now and backed it with Tamiya silver!(Solvent based.) I take it I still need the Faskoat to seal the whole thing?!
Don't get too excited Blitzboy about the BJ4 body, it's gonna be the same design just without the mistakes!!
As for the "Old days" of solvent based paint Telboy, they might of stuck to the shell better but atleast with these new Acrylics you don't have to worry about correct ventilation systems and the health of you and all the people in your street!!!
Thank you for all positive remarks about the paint job! Let's hope I can still drive the thing as fast as I used to!!

telboy
14-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Haha, true.:D

The faskolor is a lot healthier.

hmm, not sure, I'd still put some on just to be sure......also, be careful when backing with tamiya paints.....I've done it a couple of times and its made the faskolor crack!! all crazy paving styleeee.
I've done it other times and its been fine, I've now stopped backing with tamiya just to be safe. ;)

GPS1
15-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Many thanks Telboy! Will send for the Faskoat ASAP!!
Just out of interest, which spray paints do you recommend?!:confused: