PDA

View Full Version : Front CVD's grease or no grease ?

andys
24-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Just building my 410 and noticed there are no cvd boots for the front, wheel side CVD's.

My 410R didnt have any boots and the front outdrives wore very quickly, I've seem others look very worn too so I guess it's normal in Durango land.....

Question is, do people bother greasing them as surely it just attracts muck into the CVD, or is it a good idea to get some more CVD rubber boots for the front or run them with no grease ?

tomtom
24-06-2011, 10:00 PM
No CVD boots on the front wheels side because lots of movement due to steering action, boots would get worn easily.

Transmission took a lot of abuse due to gear diffs, especially when breaking. That's a design thing, CVD + gear diff not much slip action.

Allowing the slipper to slip more might be the ticket for a long therm transmission life. reducing hard breaking too.

Hulk
24-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi Andy,

I use a small amount a black diff grease on the front CVD's.

Really helps prolong their life and stops your car sounding squeeky when conering.

You shouldnt have too much of a problem with dust/dirt getting in, but just keep on top of things and check them after each run.

If any dirt gets in just clean it off with a tooth brush.

The reason no boots are included for the front CVD's is due to the slight 'drag' that is introduced to the joint, by the extreme angles involved in steering.

Craig

Big G
24-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I put boots on the fronts and they've spilt in a few months

HyperFX
24-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I have tried both dry and greased, and found the dry cvd's wear out much faster. For greased cvd's, I use a toothbrush to clean any build up the grease attracted and then re-applied the grease. Cvd's last much longer this way.

andys
25-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Cheers for the great info guys :)

I'll stick with grease and keep on top of them, also make sure my slipper is slipping :)

Andy