PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Micro-Spikes!???

markwilliamson2001
14-01-2008, 04:11 PM
See Subject title - In Blue compound they were ace - used to last a whole indoor season on carpet, and gripped amazingly well...

I guess they were superseded (?) by the minipin.

M.

Nick Goodall
14-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I still had some up until recently, but in Yellow!

Think the last rate would probably be shocking these days though mate, due to the amount of Power the cars have - the Spikes on the Micro's were so tiny i think they'd just get ripped off now really - Minipins are small but not as bad as the Micro's lol

Chris Doughty
14-01-2008, 04:31 PM
were they the ones with the funny inner sidewall?

they would proberbly rub on most cars shocks too?

they were the bomb around Donisthorpes Astro track!

DCM
14-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I got new ones in the shed, they are hard enough to rip your skin off!!!!

The Micro Pin had a smaller inner sidewal to the outer to help the diff effect in cornering.

ben
14-01-2008, 04:48 PM
What were the micro spikes like on slippy floor. I guess they are way before my time:confused:

lil ben

Chrislong
14-01-2008, 06:50 PM
They were ace at the time, but the overall profile was huge compared to todays Minipins.

I think when i used them, it was all carpet indoor tracks we raced on and at those they rocked, but on slippy floor the blue compound would grip like a pig on rollerskates - so on todays track they may not be as good. Not only that but we'd tare the spikes off.

Anyone remember the Kyosho/Hotlap pins, think the spikes went like this I-I-I-I, they gripped like chewing gum to hair, but wore out fast.

Chris

Richard Lowe
17-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Anyone remember the Kyosho/Hotlap pins, think the spikes went like this I-I-I-I, they gripped like chewing gum to hair, but wore out fast.
Kyosho microblocks! They were the tire of choice at Aire Valley when they oiled the surface.

Wern't the spikes more like |-|-|-|-| ?

jim76
17-01-2008, 03:02 PM
stll have two sets of kyosho microblocks new in packet! they were ace. but the pins fell off pretty quick.

as for slippy floor, we ran blue cut spikes, seeme dto work much better than mini or micro spike on polished wood. but better still were the old sch "soft" full spike 2" tyres!

racingdwarf
17-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Kyosho microblocks! They were the tire of choice at Aire Valley when they oiled the surface.

Wern't the spikes more like |-|-|-|-| ?

Aire Valley and the reedy race was the best ever, don't think I have been on a dirt track like that since......

xx4-nutter
17-01-2008, 07:56 PM
ive got a full set of micro spikes i got a while back from a freind.

not tryed them yet, i spoke to you rich about them at teeside the other week .. remeber ?

after further inspection they do feel like they maybe somthing like gree compound.. pretty good nick too

markwilliamson2001
17-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I remember them being pretty naff on the polished floor... at the time schumey blue minispikes were the much better option at the time... this was before the yellow compound had come in... As chris long says, the micro spike was the carpet tire, and they did have that funny profile that overhang in the inside of the wheel!!

Were those Kyosho pin tires the standard ZX-R tires on the Kyosho lazer cos they were shocking on almost everything!!!

M.