PDA

View Full Version : Speed Passion 2.0 Melt Down (how to test motor?)

Dudders
27-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Had a melt down yesterday and according to my resident expert its dead, never to be revived :thumbdown:

People have said that the motor might have shorted which in turn blew the speedo.

What's the best, easiest and most of all less dangerous way to test this?

Neil

dobber
27-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Put a meter across the terminals and see if you get a balanced resistance. Also chech the resistance of each terminal to the casing. I'll be brining my tester tomorrow night if to want me to check it?

Dudders
27-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes please buddy, you've already confused the hell out of me!!!

Nige
27-06-2011, 01:27 PM
What happened to the ESC + motor, did it just stop/ a small puff of smoke/ smell of burning/ raging inferno???

Hope it's ok.

Dudders
27-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Dropped to 20% power for 10 seconds then for forward worky worky. Got car from Marshall after about 15 secs and went to turn off, notice smoke... pulled the lipo wires and all the wires had come unsoldered and lots of white smoke. LiPo is ok.

MattW
27-06-2011, 05:34 PM
In all honesty, the easiest way to test a motor windings out is just to spin the motor. If it spins "cleanly" then it's fine, if there is any shorting within one of the coils, or across coils, then it won't spin properly.

You can test this theory by shorting 2 tabs together, if this happens, you can feel a massive difference when you try and turn it over.