PDA

View Full Version : Servo or wheels sticking?

Bayareabasher
28-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I've noticed that when the Rc is not in motion and I turn the wheels to the left and lt go to neutral it sticks there a little (not completely centered), but when I turn right and go neutral it goes back to center. Is there something I can do so it's always center either which way I turn? Oh and the servo is a savox 1256.

JosephShanks
28-06-2011, 03:28 AM
You can disconnect the link from the servo and turn the steering assembly back and forth by hand to see if it's binding. And your servo may have trouble centering. Sometimes you get a bad servo.

Bayareabasher
28-06-2011, 03:54 AM
It's not binding it's smooth as can be should I move the horn?

JosephShanks
28-06-2011, 05:25 AM
That is a good servo so it should be centering right. Is your servo mounted tight? It there any play in your servo horn? Turn your car on and see if you can move your servo horn by hand in case there is some play. Make sure your servo horn isn't real loose too just too rule that out. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Bayareabasher
28-06-2011, 07:03 AM
So there was a little play on the link that connects to the horns so I put some liquid electrical tape in the link so there's less play in the ball stud and link and it helped a little bit but I probably also have to recenter the horn. But yea I do this to all the links that have too much play like the toe or camber links is this ok? It has reduced the play by alot!

JosephShanks
29-06-2011, 03:09 AM
I had never heard of anyone using liquid electrical tape for that before. It doesn't cause any binding? One more thing. With the steering linkage disconnected from the servo horn does the servo center perfectly after turning both ways? It might be worth a look just to be sure.

JosephShanks
29-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Just thought of something else. The stock bearings wear out quick I wonder if the bearings in your steering assembly have collapsed. They have in mine. Those were the only bearings I didn't swap out for Avid's.

RC John
29-06-2011, 04:32 PM
I've noticed that when the Rc is not in motion and I turn the wheels to the left and lt go to neutral it sticks there a little (not completely centered), but when I turn right and go neutral it goes back to center. Is there something I can do so it's always center either which way I turn? Oh and the servo is a savox 1256.

I noticed the same thing on my car. At first, I thought it was the servo, but it still did it with the servo disconnected. I found out that it was caused by the screw that holds the servo saver assembly from the top being tightened too much. When I loosened that screw, the steering was back to normal.

peetbee
29-06-2011, 04:37 PM
So there was a little play on the link that connects to the horns so I put some liquid electrical tape in the link so there's less play in the ball stud and link and it helped a little bit but I probably also have to recenter the horn. But yea I do this to all the links that have too much play like the toe or camber links is this ok? It has reduced the play by alot!

There is meant to be some play, otherwise they would bind and not move freely.
If you have lots of slop then they are worn and need rplacing. You'd also notice that they easily pop off whilst running when they are too worn.

RC John
29-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Just thought of something else. The stock bearings wear out quick I wonder if the bearings in your steering assembly have collapsed. They have in mine. Those were the only bearings I didn't swap out for Avid's.
How do you like the Avid bearings?

Bayareabasher
29-06-2011, 11:03 PM
No the liquid tape doesnt bind just put a light coat now barely have any play. I'll check the servo saver screw. Are you talking about the gold nut on the servo saver?

RC John
30-06-2011, 03:24 AM
I'll check the servo saver screw. Are you talking about the gold nut on the servo saver?
Not the gold nut. It's the screw that holds the entire servo saver assemby to the steering rack. It's a M3x8 button head that is accessed from the top.

JosephShanks
30-06-2011, 04:19 AM
How do you like the Avid bearings?
Three months and good so far:thumbsup: For a buck a piece they seem to be a killer deal.

Bayareabasher
30-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Gotcha I'll check.

RC John
30-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Three months and good so far:thumbsup: For a buck a piece they seem to be a killer deal.
Yes, great deal indeed. Shipping is cheap too. I just bought a complete set for the Durango and some extras for my Losi. Shipping is only $1.50 if you spend over $40.