PDA

View Full Version : Moto Arena Tuesday Nights....

Skye
04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Ok, so now both cars are up and running I am looking to start getting some racing done. So far I have a light wallet, an empty bank, two shiny new cars to drool over :drool: but no miles on the clock!! :thumbdown:

Long term I want to get into some weekend meetings but to start off I plan on getting to a few Tuesday nights down at Moto Arena to get in the swing of things.

I have been trawling through the Silverstone threads and have found some useful info, but I dont know how relevant / up to date it all is so thought I would run it by you all who are involved with the organising or those who regularly attend.

The basic rules / schedule I found on another thread are :

1). ALL drivers will need to register with the BRCA (you can do this through SRCMMC).

2). ALL drivers will only charge lipo cells in a lipo sack as previously mentioned over the last couple of weeks.

3). The race format may change (at the race directors discretion) to 4 minute races or twelve car heats. We are reluctant to reduce practice time or number of rounds due to racers getting value for money.

4). The track will be open for practice between 18.15 - 19.00
If people are available help build the track then practice will commence the minute the track is fit to race on.

5). Booking in will be available from 17.30
Please book in as soon as you arrive to avoid delaying queues.

6). Racing will commence at 19.15
Please check the heat listings at your earliest convenience because we will unable to wait for those drivers who aren't prepared for heat 1 on time.

7). There will be 3 minutes between each round and the computer on AUTOMATIC
This is enough time to remove your car from the track, place it on charge and get to your marshalling position.

Are these guidelines still current?

I also notice that there was a lot of debate between the SC trucks running with the buggy's. Is this still the case?

To be honest, whilst I would like to run against other buggy's (not wanting to pick a fight with a bigger vehicle than mine) I will be in no position to comment on peoples different styles and driving lines, as Im sure my line will be different on every single lap as I try desperately to keep it pointing in the right direction and out of peoples way as I am lapped for the 4th time..... :lol: Apologies to one and all if we have a coming together, there will never be malice involved, only incompetency on my part! :blush:

I think I am going to have to try desperately to get there by 6.15 (not easy working in Corby and finishing at 5.00) every week to get some practice in!! :thumbsup:

My weapons of choice are currently the Rb5 Sp2 in 2wd and B44.1 in 4wd. The motors / ESC / Lipos Im running are listed below in my signature. Both cars are currently set up as per instruction manuals, and to be honest I wouldnt know how to change much at the moment. Set ups are an area I need to learn fast so any advice would be greatfully received.

As a basic set up though, can any of you who are running either of those cars there on a Tuesday night please point me in the right direction regarding tires, ride height, and anything else that an uneducated monkey could understand. :p

Matt (from MA, who is legend and has given me immense amounts of help, many many thanks!! :thumbsup:) advised on Dboots for the rear and Yellow Mini Pins on the front for the B44.1 so will give that a go. Is this what others run?

And what about for the Rb5 Sp2?

All I need to do now is pay my BRCA fees, I have registered with them but not yet paid, and then got a couple of PT's ordered and I will be good to go...

Oh, and what spares should I stock up on for each car as I currently have none!!?

Many Thanks,
Richard :thumbsup:

Skye
04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
And another thing..... :p

What format does the night take, in terms of what heats, how many, how is it decided who is in with who etc. Then is there a final for everyone?

And do you marshall the race after your own? (Im assuming this will be the case!)

RoyalCBR
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi Richard,

Hopefully I can help, I am quite new to RC but have been going down to MA most Tuesdays so I have a feel for what the general format is, so here goes...

1) Not really, I think the letter of the law is that your first 3 meetings you don't have to register, the fee is only something like £15 for a year for the BRCA (I would email them directly to organise payment). It is mainly for insurance purposes when marshalling etc.

2) Yes that is correct, because it is indoors it needs to be done really - I am sure if you don't have a sack someone will lead you one

3) I think they are 5min heats (maybe wrong there), normally you get 3 heats and 1 final

4) I get there around 6pm, track is normally being built and everything is ready to practice on for 6:30pm ish

5) Booking in is a casual affair

6) That is the aim to start at 7pm ish normally around 7:30pm

7) It is a quick turnaround, but don't worry.

Depending on the numbers of SC trucks they are sometimes in with the 2WD buggies, but because of the size of MA there is plenty of space for everyone.

If you get there for 6:30pm that is plenty of time.

There is a wide variety of motor/setups/lipos that people run, me for example I run a 10.5t Orion, Hobbywing ESC and with the boost I can easily keep up with similar skilled drivers with 6.5t or 8.5t.

With both of the cars you have again there are loads of people with similar set-ups and really helpful with advice and emergency spares if needed.

For my B44 I run Schumacher Yellow Spikes all round, but I have heard Mini Pins work, but the tarmac sections can be a little harsh on tires. The track varies from week to week, sometimes fast and bumpy sometimes smoother and flowing - all depends on what Mat has in his mind. They are usually very good :thumbsup:

You will need a PT though. Somebody might be able to loan you one, best to PM Matt though.

The evening format is a follows:

- Practice and booking in
- Heats 2WD first then 4WD (normally 3 rounds)
- Then finals (1 final each)

You have to marshall after you heat.

Hope that all helps.

chuckie stella
04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Hi Richard,

The list of rules I posted are still current so that's fine.

All drivers have 3 rounds of (FTD) qualifying and then a final. All drivers are asked to give an honest ability level upon booking in so the heats are decided by ability.

I don't agree with Matt's tyre choice. Both the Dboot and Schumacher pins work well on our surface, however I'd personally use the same for front and rear axles. I also use the schumacher stagger ribs on the front of 2wd.

Come along and don't worry about anything like setup until the night. We want everyone to enjoy themselves and have fun. We have a fantastic group of members and regulars who ALL go out of their way to help each other.

Anything else you need come and see me on the night.

Cheers,

Matt
SRCMCC

chuckie stella
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
That was possibly my fastest response yet and still I was beaten!!! :p

Skye
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks Royal & Chuckie, much appreciated.

Royal, I meant spikes on the front, not sure why I wrote pins!? :eh?:

Chuckie, what is FTD?

What tires would you advise for the rear on my Rb5. That currently has Dboots on the back and mini pins on the front but both are showing definite signs of wear from practicing in car parks (tarmac) and the local park (grass / mud) so could probably do with getting new ones for race night.

Just so I know, who from SRCMCC / Moto Arena is on oOple and what are your user names? From your reply I gather there are two Matt's already so that has confused me for a start off.... :p

And as for an honest level of ability.... I probably need a heat all to myself! :lol: I did get down to MA for one practice session with my Rb5 on a Wednesday morning a month ago on the track that was laid out from the previous night. To begin with, I was crashing every other lap. Towards the end I was managing 10 or 11 laps without crashing in a 5 minute period. Then I came on here to ask what others managed and was told they were doing 15 so I was about 5 laps off the pace!! :cry: Plenty of practice is required!!

JCJC
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
as a btb, there is a mid-south regional, 2wd, at the Silverstone track on the 17th, you could look at that. http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61900

book in= http://www.dmsresults.co.uk/

you may need to sort your brca by then

outside astro, great track.

"Just so I know, who from SRCMCC / Moto Arena is on oOple" then who's not ?

Skye
04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks JCJC.

It is tempting, although the first opportunity I am going to have to get to Moto Arena on a Tuesday will be the 12th so jumping straight into a regional 5 days later might be a bit soon. :eh?:

RoyalCBR
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Richard,

Matt (Owen) is the main man, and can drive along the track with his eyes closed! :woot:

MA attracts quite a lot people from the surrounding area, there are quite a few MA regulars on oOple, just check the posters in the Silverstone section.

See you tomorrow night, it would be good to have another 4WD runner :)

JCJC
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks JCJC.

It is tempting, although the first opportunity I am going to have to get to Moto Arena on a Tuesday will be the 12th so jumping straight into a regional 5 days later might be a bit soon. :eh?:

grab it while it hot ! you can see how you go on Tuesday then decide, be just like a Tuesday meeting but with more racing and outside.

Skye
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Royal, Is Matt Owen 'Chuckie Stella' or is he the 'other' Matt at MA? :confused:

Are there not many people run 4wd on a tuesday then? I will be (trying) to run both, it may all end in :cry:......

I wont be able to make it this week so it will have to be next Tuesday Im afarid mate. I will be the one with a white Rb5 and blue B44 looking confused!!

JCJC, You may have a point. I will likely see how the Tuesday goes, add up the cost of the repair bill :p and then see whats what.

ben broughton
04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Skye,

Chuckie Stella = Matt Owen = Michael Schumacher

(You will understand when you meet him) :)

DerbyDan
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Skye,

Chuckie Stella = Matt Owen = Michael Schumacher

(You will understand when you meet him) :)

LOL:D

Skye
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Sounds like I dont want to be in Chuckies heat then. Mind you, with my self certified ability rating of 1 then its not likely!! :p

RoyalCBR
04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Don't you mean...

Chuckie Stella = Matt Owen = Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi :lol:

On the spares front I would stock up on front suspension arms - trust me I know :o

Always check the Silverstone part of oOple jus to check if everything is running.

Skye
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok so I have just ordered some new tires for both cars so we will see how I get on. I have took Matts advice and gone with the same tires front and rear on the B44.1, I have ordered Mini Spikes in both yellow and silver. For the Rb5 I have gone for Mini Pin yellow rears with staggered rib yellow fronts. :thumbsup:

Chalkie
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi, just a idea but before you first race it might be worth changing the motors between your cars, your 4wd will put the power down better so you might as well put the more powerfull motor in that for now.

The tyres you have ordered sound spot on for now, but the best thing to do is come and race, your will learn more in your first couple of meetings than months of practicing.

Skye
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I did think that to be honest, but that would mean desoldering them both and realigning and soldering them. Whilst I could do that, I don't have my own soldering iron so would need someone else to do it. I will leave them as they are for the first week or two, and see how I fare... :thumbsup:

chuckie stella
04-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I did think that to be honest, but that would mean desoldering them both and realigning and soldering them. Whilst I could do that, I don't have my own soldering iron so would need someone else to do it. I will leave them as they are for the first week or two, and see how I fare... :thumbsup:

Come down, mate and I will change them for you if you like. I personally think it will be 2 weeks wasted!! Good choice of motor though :thumbsup: lol.

Skye
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks Matt, if you don't mind doing that.... :thumbsup: When would be best for you? Is it something that could be done before racing next week?

chuckie stella
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Matt, if you don't mind doing that.... :thumbsup: When would be best for you? Is it something that could be done before racing next week?

No problem! Within minutes, mate.

Chalkie
04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Hey Matt, you running 2 or 4 2moz?

chuckie stella
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey Matt, you running 2 or 4 2moz?

Want to do 2, but really need to do 4!!! :(

Skye
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
That's excellent, thanks very much Matt! I will message you nearer the time to make sure it's still ok.

Following on from Chalkies message, do many people run both 2wd and 4wd or do they tend to concentrate on one class?

Chalkie
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Want to do 2, but really need to do 4!!! :(

Ok, think i will bring both and make my mind up depending on the track

Chalkie
04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
That's excellent, thanks very much Matt! I will message you nearer the time to make sure it's still ok.

Following on from Chalkies message, do many people run both 2wd and 4wd or do they tend to concentrate on one class?

There's really only time to do one class on a tuesday night but people will run both classes at an all day meeting

chuckie stella
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM

I would only ever do both for track time, but never at a serious meeting. 2wd and 4wd really do drive so different and it takes a few laps to settle to each change. Maybe that's just me!
Remember, if you break one you probably wouldn't fix it in time as you'd be marshalling twice also. We have to run straight through on a week night meeting and only have 5 heats. That leaves you approximately 8 minutes to carry out maintainence/repairs.
The other option is to get a pit bitch. Sorry, Tom!! :p

Skye
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah that makes sense I guess, probably even more so for me as I am more likely to break something and less likely to be able to fix it quickly.... :cry:

Which is the best class to run on a Tuesday night in your opinion?

I would ideally like to run both, but I will probably save that for the weekend meetings when I'm more experienced and also gave more time. :thumbsup:

chuckie stella
05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah that makes sense I guess, probably even more so for me as I am more likely to break something and less likely to be able to fix it quickly.... :cry:

Which is the best class to run on a Tuesday night in your opinion?

I would ideally like to run both, but I will probably save that for the weekend meetings when I'm more experienced and also gave more time. :thumbsup:

Far more people run 2wd so I would like you to do 4 :thumbsup:
Choice is yours mate. 2wd is less likely to break and easier to fix in a short amount of time.

mattybucks
05-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Choice is yours mate. 2wd is less likely to break and easier to fix in a short amount of time.

That true mate, i've never seen you break your vega, but that other thing you were running was always in bits.......

Skye
05-07-2011, 03:37 PM
To be honest, as I am starting with a blank page in both classes I have no loyalty or preference as to which class I run.

Ideally I want to run both as much as possible to both get my moneys worth (spent nearly a grand at MA on each car in the last two months!! :o) and also to improve and see where my skills / driving style are best suited....

I completely understand your point of not having the time to run both on a Tuesday though so will likely alternate for a while and try to attend as many weekend meets as possible where time allows me to run both. :thumbsup:

Im thinking I might start with the B44.1 next week and then take it from there...

On the point of the 4wd being more likely to break, which bits should I be aware of and holding spares for as I currently have zero spares for either car. :thumbdown: