PDA

View Full Version : lipo charge problem

MarcF
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Just bought a core rc charger and Orion 5500 90c saddle lipos,I'm trying to charge them up for 1st time and just keep getting a low battery voltage error, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with the settings etc..? got the charger set to 4.5A charge current with 7.4V 2S

Skye
05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
This sounds strongly like either Orion batteries are naff, or at the very least there is a dodgy batch of them! I tried to charge a new Orion battery for the first time on Sunday and got exactly the same message but all my other batteries charged fine ( I tested them all ). When I rang the shop he said he had another guy buy an Orion battery the very same day and had rung in with the same problem! I would say call the shop and tell them all this and get it replaced, with a battery that's not Orion preferably....

MarcF
05-07-2011, 08:25 PM
yeah could well be, my trakpower lipo seams to be charging ok. dunno if i'm just doing somthing stupid with the settings or connections :thumbdown:

ian h
05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
If you are able to charge another pack by connecting it the exact same way and using the same settings then you have a battery fault. If it is connected up to balance charge but not set up to balance then you will also get a voltage error message.

Skye
05-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I connected all of my batteries exactly the same so the fault was definitely with the battery, and three identical faults that I know of in the space of 3 days surely isn't coincidence!? And they are just the ones we know of.... :thumbdown:

MarcF
05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
hi ian

in what way do you mean not set up to balance? i'm pretty sure i have it all connected & settings are correct

break down sam
11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
someone at the club i race at had one of them xplode... i wouldnt buy them myself

RogerM
11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
On the other side I am delighted with my Orion 90C cells.

I've seen similar issues with all brands of cell and it's 99% of the time down to the balance lead (I recently had to throw one away as the 2mm pin had given up and gone high resistance).

If in doubt let somebody have a look over the setup but there is nothing to worry about with the 90C's ... I'm ordering a couple more at the end of the month for the snoring car

Bigbaddave
11-07-2011, 10:26 PM
I must admit I bought a set on the 5500 90c orion cells and think they are awesome!

Hopefully they wont blow up in next few weeks and it was a bad batch

MarcF
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Looks like it was the cells....waiting for my replacements to arrive....

chris68nufc
15-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Who did you buy the cells off and did they exchange them straight away?