PDA

View Full Version : Cougar 2 Spur/Pinion mystery

McMike
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm back again after, I think, solving my diff problem.
I have now received some new spur gears from Schumacher (89,92,95) and a 19 and 22 pinion from HPI. Imagine my surprise when I fitted the 89 spur with the 19 pinion only to find there was no way I could get them to meet! Tried the 92, again, same problem. I only managed to get the 95/22 combo to meet.
What's going on there then? There is no way I can move the motor (Brushed LRP V10 Spec 5) closer to it as it hits the gearbox. Have brushed motors enlarged in size or something in the years I've been away? It's not a case of the Cougar not designed to take those spur or pinion sizes as they are listed in the gear ratio charge and are sold as spares.
I'm very confused...:confused::confused:

CAT3K
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm back again after, I think, solving my diff problem.
I have now received some new spur gears from Schumacher (89,92,95) and a 19 and 22 pinion from HPI. Imagine my surprise when I fitted the 89 spur with the 19 pinion only to find there was no way I could get them to meet! Tried the 92, again, same problem. I only managed to get the 95/22 combo to meet.
What's going on there then? There is no way I can move the motor (Brushed LRP V10 Spec 5) closer to it as it hits the gearbox. Have brushed motors enlarged in size or something in the years I've been away? It's not a case of the Cougar not designed to take those spur or pinion sizes as they are listed in the gear ratio charge and are sold as spares.
I'm very confused...:confused::confused:

I can get those pinion sizes to fit my Cougars no problems, especially with a 95, and 540 motors have not changed in size.

What i think may be the problem is the screw holes on the motor. There's 2 sets, if you use the outside set you should be able to get the motor/pinion closer.

One other thing to watch, you said you've bought HPI pinions. Some HPI pinions are 48 pitch, but slightly different from other manufacturers 48DP and are more like Tamiya .6 mod pinions.

McMike
07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I've managed to get the 89/22 to reach and the 86/22 only JUST reaches (almost half way into the spur gear at BEST) so high potential of it stripping. Here is a pic of the 86/19 combo. As you can see, the pinion is a fair bit away and the motor is as close as it can be on the screw holes and the can is being stopped by the gearbox.
I thought all pinions were, pretty much, the same. Only differences being width or space between the motor and edge of the pinion. There is no way whatsoever that I can get the motor closer.

RudolfXC
07-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I think we used to file part of the gearbox away with a half round file.

dodgydiy
07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
i remember having issues with some motors with large front bearing carriers, just filed the hole for the motor out a bit to accomodate them

McMike
08-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the replies.
You have come up with the only solution I can see as well and that is to file away at the gearbox. There is no way I'm doing that to a 20 year old car! No need to hack apart the old girl when spares are not so easy to come by these days. I will just have to forget using the 86 spur gear and go with the larger ones instead.
There may be another option and that is the file away at the engine mounting plate to bring the motor lower and, therefore, be able to bring it towards the spur gear more as it is only the top part of the gearbox that is preventing any further forward movement; there is a little bit of room below the top lip.

DerbyDan
08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I can only ever remember running a 95 spur on my Cougar/TopCat back in the day.... I can't ever remember having issues with getting that to mesh with any of the pinions that I wanted to use.....

Having said that the hottest motor that I ever fitted was something like a 14t double so pinions never went too small. If you are running brushless then gearing would generally be higher than what the manual suggests for an equivilent 'brushed' motor ;)

McMike
08-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm running a 14x2 (as the 12x2 were out of stock at the time) so I'm not too fussed now. Best I can get is the 22/89 and that should be fine. I can put the larger spur on for shorter circuits but if I hit a BIG one, I can see my brushed baby taking a bit of a beating!
My main reason for making this post in the first place was that I was shocked that I could not physically achieve the gear ratios in the manual. I could understand if I had got cocky and bought a tiny one intended for a little race car or something but the 86 spur is in the manual with a 19 tooth pinion.