PDA

View Full Version : a stand for the new track

mugenmark
08-07-2011, 09:05 AM
hi forward thinking,but the pic i posted show westmills track,if you look at the container it been converted to a stand,it proberly the cheapest way to make a stand for the drivers and gives the heigth you need to see the track as well as storage or a club room,so if anyone got contact where we could aquire one?25407 and a good welder ?

Ianhunt
08-07-2011, 09:20 AM
very nice :thumbsup:

epoxydude
20-07-2011, 01:02 AM
the container thing is a nice idea . Where i work we are getting rid of something similar to that but it is square rather than a long container it has windows as well .. would it be worht finding out what is happening to it ??

staticvandal
20-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Yes please, that would be a great help.:D

RCPhil
20-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I would caution the use of a container as the stand.

Through experience I have prevented storage on top of containers at work as they bend and this creates an area where rain water pools.
The result of this is they rust easily and you end up with a hole in the roof.
If this is to be the route we go down then we will need to put additional support inside the container (a couple of acro props should do it) and think about putting an additional flooring layer on top of the container (marine ply or something similar).
I am in the process of pricing an amount of scaffold tube from a supplier and will pass this info on as soon as I have it. This would be for the creation of stands / hand rails etc.
I also have access to containers and vehicles to move them. If either is required, let me know.

steelie600
20-07-2011, 01:39 PM
You may find that a container is approx a thousand quid for a good one where as I paid 200 quid for this beauty!!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264877_10150230559017312_504112311_7896830_7557050 _n.jpg

I made the stairs myself and the floor boards are reclaimed scaff planks. the pit bench being OSB board all in all cost about 350 quid

mugenmark
20-07-2011, 01:41 PM
yes we will need to cover over the top to stop the water,but the container will provide a club house tea making place and somewhere to store the bbq,and i am sure we could convert a container to a toilets,if the club get bigger

mugenmark
20-07-2011, 01:45 PM
well this a good alterative and at a good price,let see how much we can get a container for only because of storage and a small club room are the extras.the racking a good idea and it looks solid and safe,

staticvandal
20-07-2011, 01:45 PM
WOW:woot:, nice job steelie.:thumbsup:

steelie600
20-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Telling ya that thing is STURDY, Its got 15 feet angle iron hammered into the ground as anchors and bolted to the frame and 8 foot pegs hammered into the ground on every foot, two in some!!

Just passed its safety ticket with flying colours!

RCPhil
20-07-2011, 02:55 PM
WOW:woot:, nice job steelie.:thumbsup:
That is the dogs dangle part that is!!

I am MUCH impressed.

I don't suppose you drew a set of plans for it did you?
(Drink in the post etc etc etc!!!)

epoxydude
20-07-2011, 07:27 PM
are any of you familiar with what the old race track at basingstoke Viables centre had .
Basically it was a container with windows and a frame over the top of it with planks on much like Steelies design .
It meant that you were never stood on the container itself also had stairs at both ends as i remember .
I shall have a chat tomorow when i am back in work see if i can get the military to just write it off or give it to you

staticvandal
20-07-2011, 08:03 PM
:woot:Wow awesome.
I think you have the same idea as me, build a scafold rostrum around a container. Makes great sense to me.
Phil (our health and saftey official) and myself will discuss how to make this solution safe:yawn:.

staticvandal
20-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Viables has an old track, which still partly exists under the overgrowth. We contacted the Council ages ago about this land. The plot is currently under plans for re-development so the track cannot be rebuilt at present, this situation may change but not until the end of the year.
On another note, their may be an issue with running Nitro's there anyway.

epoxydude
20-07-2011, 08:16 PM
well ill see whats going on . this container block was used by our airfield lighting guy and did him alright for a few years and now its just sitting dormant after he moved into the gliding club building with us ..
there is also a toilet block just sat next to it . but fear that is jumping the gun a bit .

The Bod
20-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi

At the Bury club we use two 20' containers placed end to end. The top sections have been decked out with handrails and mesh for the rostrum. One container contains race-control with the other being used for storage.

Here is a picture of the final thing. We did consider having a cover to it like the rostrum on our old track, but being in a public park, this attracted undesirables in the evening taking shelter and throwing their cans/bottles onto the track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63805265@N08/5803988038/in/set-72157626773129999

Hope this provides some further inspiration. I do not know the costs as we already had the containers.

RCPhil
20-07-2011, 10:00 PM
:woot:Wow awesome.
I think you have the same idea as me, build a scafold rostrum around a container. Makes great sense to me.
Phil (our health and saftey official) and myself will discuss how to make this solution safe:yawn:.

Sorry, the "fun police" strike again!!

There are plenty of adaptions that can be made to a container that will make a perfect stand but I just want to ensure it is built with a long life in mind.

I would like my hobby to serve me into my retirement!

staticvandal
21-07-2011, 07:39 AM
well ill see whats going on . this container block was used by our airfield lighting guy and did him alright for a few years and now its just sitting dormant after he moved into the gliding club building with us ..
there is also a toilet block just sat next to it . but fear that is jumping the gun a bit .

I don't suppose you have any spare land aswell, say around 100M x 60M lol;)

mugenmark
21-07-2011, 07:51 AM
basicly we need a container and a generator,so if we can get one free with just removeal costs would be great,i could store a container in burghfield common for a short while if needed,but i feel 2 containers and is what we need,1 for race control ,tea storage 2.as a toliet block,if your going to get 40 plus racer at a meet we will need a toilets later on.if there free containers and last 2 years,then we get the money from haveing open races to replace them in a couple of years.land,track and stand are proity then we should get money from pratise sessions to impove the track and a bigger membership base,build the track and the members will come,

staticvandal
21-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I've already got a small generator sorted. Its only 1KW but should do for the short term.

mugenmark
21-07-2011, 09:47 AM
excellent,i got some time off in august i have a look round for a container i got a pc i could donate as well to run the timeing in the further,good luck with the sound check on sataday,it be great if we could get started in the summer.

RCPhil
21-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I've already got a small generator sorted. Its only 1KW but should do for the short term.

As long as it can power a kettle and a couple of battery chargers that should do fine:thumbsup:

epoxydude
26-07-2011, 01:48 PM
well gents .

the nice double container thing with windows ive had my eye on has been given to the army for lifting gear storage . we could have had it if they didnt want it . apparently a huge aircraft hanger is not enough space for them.Bugger

Mav
26-07-2011, 04:19 PM
If it helps I have a complete pc sitting here doing nothing that I could gladly donate to the cause

staticvandal
26-07-2011, 10:19 PM
well gents .

the nice double container thing with windows ive had my eye on has been given to the army for lifting gear storage . we could have had it if they didnt want it . apparently a huge aircraft hanger is not enough space for them.Bugger

No worries, thanks for trying any way, hope you can make it to one of our meets soon.

epoxydude
26-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I do hope to be at one of the meets soon . i am away for about 3 weekends now due to practicing and flying in a gliding competition . so hopefully when i get that done and out the way i will be able to make it .. Any news on land for the track yet .jim