PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Cougar 1/2 graphite chassis?

McMike
11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I have been doing all the research I can on these and got in touch with Fibre-Lyte as they used to make them. I found out they lost the mould and someone, a few years back, sent them a chassis to make a new mould from and got a few orders together in order to make it financially acceptable.
However, the chasis was bent so they couldn't make the mould and had to cancel the order. I have a non-bent spare one (just pretty damn scuffed!) tham I am willing to 'sacrifice' if it gets a mould made for a new graphite chassis.
Fibre-Lyte have expressed an interest in doing this. Details are a little sketchy right now with a possible minimum order being for 5 at about £100ish each. If, however, there is sufficient demand then they may begin to mass-produce them again for their website. So, I am here asking who is interested? If I can get enough people in on this, then I can try and move the process along with either a minimum order or sufficent people that they mass produce them again.
I'm not asking for money up-front right now, just some interest. If I can get the minimum then it would be up-front payment. Spread the word whereever you can.

john73
11-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Is your chassis an early cougar chassis with the Topcat laydown shock mounting points ? if so i would definitley be interested

If there are no mounting points could these be measured then added ?

Cheers

John

CAT3K
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I'd be interested in them, however the £100 price tag would make me think twice i think.

McMike
11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
My chassis is a Cougar 1 that I will send to them (if enough people want one) so, if you want the Topcat front shock holes, I think the best option would be to just drill them yourself if you wanted a Cougar chassis. I just think Cougar ones would be more popular than the Topcat as they cover more models. Not hard to drill and countersink yourself anyway.
As for the price, well, I think they were about £80 20 years ago as these were the days of GRP and FRP. Graphite chassies were a thing of luxury so a lot of the more affordable upgrades were alloy ones. If it ends up being a £100 then you are paying to be exclusive and very cool. I also think the major problem with the Cougar chassis is that it is a tub and not a standard flat piece. If it was flat, I could make one myself with saw and a drill! It all depends really on wether I can gain enough interest and momentum in this as the more I can get pre-ordered, the cheaper it will be.
As an update, I have sent Fibre-Lyte some pics of the chassis I have to see if they can make the mold from it. If they say it looks OK, I can send it to them. I have also asked Schmacher themselves if they still have any molds hanging about. If they do, everything becomes cheaper and quicker.

CAT3K
12-07-2011, 07:54 AM
I remember fibre-lyte tubs being very expensive back in the day. I remeber seeing the CAT2000 tub and Lazer tubs, awesome bits of kit.

I honestly think it could end up being more expensive than even £100 though. Look at the RC10 tub they currently do, £126 plus a further £30 for the nose.

Don't get me wrong i'd love one, always have, but it's a comlicated tub to make with the turned sides and kickup at the front.

One other thing, back in the early 90's i seem to remember Fibre-Lyte made all the carbon parts for Schumacher, until Schumacher started making their own carbon parts in later years?

McMike
13-07-2011, 12:02 PM
A quick update:
Fibre-Lyte are currently trying to work with a Cougar chassis they have to see if they can make a mould from it. However, are there any clever design people out there that make convert the tub chassis design into a flat one? The entire front and side tub section can be omitted in my opinon. It can be recreated by making the front secion of the chassis a little wider so a replacement GRP 'wall' could be screwed into the chassis to mount the velcro on for the body.
The rear end is where the problem lies due to the wishbones being mounted the the lip of the chassis and then on the top of the tub. Not being smart when it comes to this, the only possible solution I can see is making the rear end a seperate section that bolts onto the front part of the chassis somewhere. We all did something similar 20 years ago when racing Mardave stock cars whereby we sliced the back end of the chassis off and made a rocking T-Bone section to mount the motor on.

gps3300
13-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Flat chassis used to be readily available in the '90s, looks very easy to do. See here for a graphite (not carbon fibre) example:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=72465&sid=23061

BORMAC
13-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a NIP Composite Craft chassis plate that I'd consider selling or swapping for a new Topcat/Cougar alloy chassis. It has the adjustable rear toe option too.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/bormac/TopCat5.jpg

CATS
13-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Just came across this post. The chassis they have is mine!! My name is Scott Reynolds If you ask them they will tell you that I have already gone through this process in 2009 from memory. Basiclly I to was intrested in getting this done, so as per your post I did the same and placed an add on the vintage rc boards, even got the full amount from the 4 people who wanted one. Long and short of it was after about 3/4 months they still had'nt done anything and after various emails I then got a reply from the owner (martin hansell) telling me that the guy who was working on this project had left and they really could'nt give me a idea of when they would get it done. Well as you can imagine I was a bit shocked as I had over £500 sitting in my bank account that did'nt belong to me. I decided to pay back the people who had paid me and cancel the whole thing. Was also shocked when I asked for my original cougar 2 works chassis back they said it was bent (which it was'nt when I sent it!) and anyway they had to screw down to a surface to straighten it so there for it would be no use to me. Have to say the whole thing annoyed me a bit and I actually ended up being down a perfectly usable rare cougar 2 chassis and was also down when it came to the money as I had to pay stupid paypal charges! anyway, rant over I have actually dealt with them quite a few times since then, and steven is always very helpful. Would still love to get hold of a molded carbon chassis, but after what I went through cant see it happening anytime soon,..... but put my name down for one anyway

Scott

McMike
13-07-2011, 06:38 PM
And you, CATS, gave me the idea as I was researching this!
Maybe the chassis they have is yours indeed. They certainly said they are working with what they have right now to see if they can use it. Failing that, I have a spare Cougar 1 chassis I am willing to 'lose' as I won't be using it. I'm glad you have popped up here actually as I wanted to make a new post on the Schumacher forum to do exactly what you did but they have closed registration down. Are you still able to log in and spread the word? I think people are interested in getting this done but are put off by the potential price. Fact is, a graphite Cougar 1/2 chassis is a thing of beauty and worth the money.

As for the composite craft chassis, it looks nice. Can't imagine why anyone would want the rear to have so much potential tow out though? Don't they need an extra drill hole for a Cougar front end to fit as the Top Cat had those mental front shocks and 3 holes for the front wishbone mount? How much you looking for if you were to sell?

8rad
15-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I was one of the guys that was on board for CATS original order. Many....many people have gone down this road before you(myself included) and many more will after you as well.

I think once it is done people will pay to have these but it is getting them done that is the hard part.

Please forgive my skepticism but if by some small miracle this plan come to fruition count me in for one tub for sure. If its just a flat chassis I may take one too but I would have to see the finished product first. It is just as easy and alot cheaper to make a flat plate from aluminium.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22204

McMike
15-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I will keep you all informed as much as I can as I believe that my stubbornness will get SOMETHING done!
I am in constant contact with Fibre-Lyte and they are currently trying to work out if the old chassis they have can be used. If not, I will send them one of my TWO spares from a Cougar 1. I jhave sent them all the linkm and pics I have been sent here for a flat pan version if it comes to that but, right now, the pan is still the plan.
Schumacher themselves has confirmed that they have no physical Cougar/Top Cat etc chassies left anywhere but do have the original drawings and designs that could be used to make a mould. However, they are not willing to release these so that a mould can be made. I have offered them a pecentage on sales if they let Fibre-Lyte make them as money for nothing is better than nothing for nothing.
I really need the word to be spread more than it is as I can sign up to Schumacher's forum due to spam accounts (according to Schumacher) and Tamiya Club and RC10 club has yet to appoved my account. So come on people, I'm a stobborn swine and I want this to happen!!

MOGGIE XL
15-07-2011, 08:08 PM
As far as I know Fiber-lyte have already got a program to make the flat chassis because I a friend of mine had one made.

McMike
15-07-2011, 08:26 PM
If they have then they have forgotten about it as they are trying to make a new mould that is flat or pan.

8rad
19-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Well McMike, I hope you can make something happen. It would do us Shuey fanatics a great service.

But allow me to throw a monkey wrench into the gears if I may. As you may already know there are 4 versions of the tub chassis. Topcat, Cougar 1, Club 10 and Cougar works. They are all the same shape but have small differences. As has already been mentioned Topcat has 5 extra holes. 2 for shocks, 2 for servo mounting and an extra for the front plate mounting. Club 10 has extra holes for the mechanical speed control and the works chassis has different gearbox holes and rear suspension cutaways.

Because Fibre-Lyte has CATS works chassis, if they use this as a template standard cougar 1/Topcat gearbox will not fit without drilling new holes.

You may want to confirm that they are using a purple chassis as a template before you make your order.

One option would be to have them drill the forward gearbox holes and leave the aft holes filled to allow the customer to decide which gearbox they will use.

McMike
19-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I will check with them but I have sent them a bunch of pics with my spare Couagar 1 chassis; they didn't reply saying that it looked different from what they are working with.
I never knew the Cougar 2 works had a slightly longer gearbox. Just looking at a pic of the purple chassis and can see the rear is mounted a tiny bit father back than a normal cougar (I have the red chassis Cougar 2). Why is the works one a tiny bit fatter? Anyway, mail is sent. Thanks for the info.

8rad
19-07-2011, 02:35 PM
The front mounting holes are the same. They just stretched the gearbox to move the drive line further aft for handling reasons. I am not sure the exact reason. Someone who has driven both can attest. The rear of the chassis was also cut away to make clearance for the works rear arms. This mod can always be done after with a dremel if you want to run this rear end. In my opinion it is not as big a deal as the screw holes.

McMike
19-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Turns out that they have a silver chassis so that means either a Top Cat or Cougar 1. Regardless of which version they have, they still have to see if they can make a mould from it and then, if they can, a chassis.
If they can make something from what they have or what I send them, then holes can be decided upon. Personally, I can't see anyone needing a Top Cat chassis or, at least, I believe that a Cougar 1/2 chassis will be far more popular so I would think the only holes needed would be the front bulkhead, rear wishbones and front holes for the gear box. The battery would be a matter of taste but I think most would run a battery lengthways so only two hoes would be needed for a battery mount.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. I will keep everyone informed as things develop.

Moozo
19-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but IF it could be made then if you made the topcat version then you could use this chassis for a Cougar 1/2 and a topcat.........just a thought

Mick

McMike
20-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Yup, Topcat would fit a Cougar 1/2 but with 3 extra holes in the front. But how many people actually have a Topcat? Even so, no matter which version of the chassis that (might) get made, we can add holes wherever we want. It's just the gearbox holes that matter as, if the holes were drilled for a Cougar 1/2/TopCat, it would leave the Cougar 2 works gearbox underside exposed. Even then, that's not a major problem as my Cougar 2 gearbox is mounted on a little piece of plastic for extra protection so Cougar 2 works people could do the same thus covering the exposed holes.
All minor quibbles that we can easily solve with either a drill or a tiny piece of plastic from a yoghurt pot!

CATS
26-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Me again, been away so catching up on posts. The chassis they have (as I stated before) is definatly mine. what they have is a striped of all its purple annodising works chassis. As mentioned holes would need to be made to use as a topcat or cougar 1/2 team chassis. I guarentee that it is a works chassis as it is what I sent them (wish I had'nt but there u go!)

Scott(CATS)

PS I have some pics somewhere on my work computer of the actual chassis they have just so you can all see what they have (will se if I can find them!). There are no extra holes in the chassis they have, it is 100% cougar 2 works with the extended holes in the rear and the cut outs on the rear transmission section to allow for the works rear suspension arms

McMike
27-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Right right, they didn't seem to spot those differences when I sent them a bunch of pics of a standard Cougar chassis.
Not heard anything back in the past week but the last thing I sent them was a suggestion to only drill the front 2 holes for the gearbox section so people that have the works version can drill their own. Same goes for the Top Cat and Club 10.

Chrissy C
27-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi chaps, not meaing to stick my nose in here, but you might be worrying unecessarily as its the actual mould that can not be changed once done - everything else (hole positions etc) can be done differently each time - if you provide details/measurements to FL.

So as long as the shape of the chassis from TopCat to Works has remained constant - which i think it has - then you'll be golden.

This means that you can also change electronic/cell locations use stick or saddle packs etc etc, in fact you can do whatever you like within the bounderies of the mould :)

McMike
03-08-2011, 12:09 PM
OK, an update.
Things appear to be going well and they are almost ready to make the actual chassis with the mould pretty much done. Once that is done, though, they still have to work out how to machine it. If they can manage to work that out then maybe we can start looking into getting some orders in.
I have told them to leave the holes for others to add with regards to the gearbox but that is looking a little far ahead right now I think.

8rad
03-08-2011, 04:56 PM
So as long as the shape of the chassis from TopCat to Works has remained constant - which i think it has - then you'll be golden.

As I mentioned previously the works chassis IS different. It has sections cut out for the rear suspension clearance.

CATS has stated that it is the "Works" chassis they have. So unless McMike has made other arrangements I am guessing that this chassis will be the works version with the cutouts.

Either way count me in for one.

McMike
04-08-2011, 08:53 AM
I've not mentioned anything about the cut-outs at the rear. They have just said that the photos I sent them of a standard Cougar chassis look the same. Anyway, even if they do manage to make one and it has the cut-out section then surely this wont be a problem for anyone no matter if you have a Top Cat or Cougar 1/2 as the rear wishbones will still fit into the holes. Having never seen a Cougar with the cut-outs, I can't see why they are there anyway.

8rad
08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
http://tamiyaclub.com/getuserimage.asp?t=g&id=img23061_08032008154719_8_350.jpg

CATS
06-09-2011, 07:59 AM
anymore news on this?

kenios
06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
i have a cougar 2 Team version, it has the somewhat RED like alum chassis, not the standard silver or purple "Works" version, but i think it is almost the same as the works chassis.

for myself it would be better to make a carbon team or works version chassis for the schumacher cougar 2 . those cars are less rare and more people have them.

but i am surely interested in a carbon chassis!!

it would also be very cool if the aluminium side plates of the gearbox housing could be done in carbon.

CATS
07-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I think jeroen already has had these made by fibre-lyte?

kenios
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
To CATS:

i don't think they have the gearbox sideplates or not in prodction. checked on the fibre-lyte website and all they have for the schumacher cougar 1/2 is the front and rear suspension plates.

CATS
08-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Yer, I dont think they have the plates on there, but as I said Im sure jeroen got them to do him some, give them a call they might be able to help

McMike
12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
I've not been pursuing this with Fibre-Lyte recently as I am thinking of racing a new Super Astute that I have recently acquired. Always preferred the looks of the Astute to any 2wd ever made before or since! This means I might be getting rid of my Cougar 2 with a bucket loads of parts soon if anyone is interested.
Back on topic, the last update I posted was the last bit of info I have since I have not contacted them since. They have managed to make a mould but got side-tracked with an obviously bigger order. They just needed to know if they could actually produce a chassis from the mould. If anyone wants to take it up with them, they will be able to update you.

jeroen206
13-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Yer, I dont think they have the plates on there, but as I said Im sure jeroen got them to do him some, give them a call they might be able to help

I didn't get the motorplates made by fibrelyte.
I wanted to do that , but than is could buy three complete sets of C2W motorplates , so there was no need for that anymore.

The carbon chassis i got , are the topcat ones , with the holes in the front.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img15092_07082006094617_3.jpg

The C2W chassis is a very weak chassis at the back(cut outs for wishbones).
A carbon one will break very Quick at that point.